Author Topic: It was Ennis who first showed his affection for Jack . . .  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Garry_LH

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: It was Ennis who first showed his affection for Jack . . .
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 04:04:17 pm »
Well... if you want to go clear back to where we first get a clue Ennis cares for Jack, we're back at where he orders soup from the Bast, instead of the beans he so clearly likes.
It could be like this, just like this... always.

squashcourt

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 05:51:07 pm »
There's a fault within your logic: it's Jack who first shows affection in this scene by taking his bandana off and trying to wipe Ennis' temple with it.

Edit: Where did I leave my manners? We haven't talked yet, Pierre, so welcome to BetterMost!

Hi -

True . . .  perhaps I should have clarified my observation.
This is about the gentle wrapping of Ennis's hand over Jack's to get the bandanna.  If a close friend of mine would be physically hurt I would not think twice about coming to his help.  I would think that's how Jack reacted. 
Some guys (straight or gay) have this macho image to to uphold and I must admit I am one of them but I would never cringe away from a gentle touch. 

The movie, in my opinion, is about two men who have repressed their homosexuality.  Their stolen glances at the beginning (trailer scene) may have been the match that lit the candle.  They became friendlier and more familiar with each other as the summer went by.  Ennis's lightning pat on Jack's hip after he shot the elk may have been Ennis's way of wanting to show what may have been awakened in him and since there are only the two of them and since both are in the same mental stress about each other's feelings why even bring up who is a bottom and who is a top as some have suggested.  This is not relevant to this tragedy.  Let's face it - it's a current situation.

Affectionately,

Pierre -  ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 12:49:14 am »

Ennis's lightning pat on Jack's hip after he shot the elk

I missed that!  When is that?

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 01:18:31 am »
in all my readings the last few weeks I haven't seen anything on what I noticed, how very close they were sitting next to each other when they were eating the elk.  It's hard to tell but it looks like their knees are touching.

And I have seen this mentioned but it is one of my favorite mini scenes, when they get to the second camp and Jack finds that white thing they use as a bench (what is that?, wood or a animals skeleton?, Ennis was clearly reaching out to Jack but its hard to tell if he was touching Jack or that thing.  Still that was not too long before TS1.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 12:11:39 pm »
in all my readings the last few weeks I haven't seen anything on what I noticed, how very close they were sitting next to each other when they were eating the elk.  It's hard to tell but it looks like their knees are touching.

And I have seen this mentioned but it is one of my favorite mini scenes, when they get to the second camp and Jack finds that white thing they use as a bench (what is that?, wood or a animals skeleton?, Ennis was clearly reaching out to Jack but its hard to tell if he was touching Jack or that thing.  Still that was not too long before TS1.
It was a dead log. It is hard to tell but I think Ennis does give Jack a pat on the shoulder.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »
Thats what I tend to think it was too.

To me that tiny scene is so significant because to me it shows how much Ennis was changed, from not being able to make eye contact and barely being able to speak to Jack to being able to reach out to him like that.

I think that it also shows Ennis's desire and willingness to make even more of a connection and get closer to Jack...which of course happened soon.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 12:46:55 pm »

I love this mini-scene, too. I've watched it closely, because first I thought Ennis would help Jack with carrying the log. But he isn't. I'm with jpwagoneer on this: he gives Jack a pat on the shoulder.
You're also right about sitting very close while eating the elk. I don't think their knees touch, but almost.

While typing your reply came in:

To me that tiny scene is so significant because to me it shows how much Ennis was changed, from not being able to make eye contact and barely being able to speak to Jack to being able to reach out to him like that.

Yep. Isn't it wonderful? Ang Lee did a marvellous job showing their growing friendship and affection. And how Ennis relaxed around Jack. So many little things: sitting near each other, the most Ennis spoke in a year, their joking with each other "Tent don't look right", and on and on.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 12:57:23 pm »

Yep. Isn't it wonderful? Ang Lee did a marvellous job showing their growing friendship and affection. And how Ennis relaxed around Jack. So many little things: sitting near each other, the most Ennis spoke in a year, their joking with each other "Tent don't look right", and on and on.
[/quote]

Yep. And thats why lke all of you before me I have so fallen in love with this film.  It is truly amazing how Ang Lee did it and how he did it with so much elegance and restraint that much of it is not really noticable untill you see it over and over and over and then it all starts to become clear.  But I guess you already know that.