Author Topic: Gayest Foods Ever  (Read 57557 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Gayest Foods Ever
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 02:58:55 am »
David,

I never thought of Tom Collins as particularly gay.  However, it was my introduction to alcohol.  A Catholic high school trip to Ireland, at the age of sixteen.  We were there in February, where they rolled up the sidewalks at 7:30.  So, we drank in the hotel bar.  My best friend was no stranger to alcohol, and tried to get me interested.  I didn't care for the taste of beer back then.  My friend suggested gin, and the most palatable gin came in the form of a Tom Collins:  sweet and tangy at the same time.  

I don't think I've had one since.  But the deed is done...

Actually, I'm not sure if it is either. It was a joke. People always said only women ordered Tom Collins. Therefore if a man ordered one...... well, there it is.

I still order Tom Collins, and I DO get strange looks if I order one outside a gay bar. So, maybe there's some truth to it after all!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 07:46:01 am »
Happy Meals?

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 09:49:14 am »
Maybe all kinds of chiffon cakes? And a mimosa?
BTW: greatly enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine. For me one of the best movies of the year.
They were two friends of mine

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 02:17:53 pm »
Baked brie, and any drink with an umbrella in it.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 03:20:33 pm »
Alright, I'm going to admit I'm offended by the title of this topic.  If it was "Frou frou-est" Food Ever," or sumpn, that would be different to me.  But the word "gay" now means "homosexual."  It doesn't mean "rarified urban dandy, partially stuck in the 1950s."  It's too broad a term to be mocked this way without lumping a huge bunch of people into one type.  Not many gay people are actually recreating a Truman Capote dinner party when they sit down to eat every night.  (Not that he probably served Strawberry Quik...)

Shall we start a thread called "Blackest Food Ever?"  I think they all like fried chicken and watermelon, don't they?

And I'm not lacking a sense of humor - I see what's inherently funny about a list that includes chiffon cake and mimosas, trout almondine and drinks with little umbrellas in them.  Would Jack and Ennis get this list?  If they don't, are they then not-gay?

And what about all the gay women in the world?  Are they included in this brie and arugula-fest?

To conclude my courageous stance to speak up when some of my favorite gay and non-gay people have joined in the humor, I will briefly recap - the only part I mind is the word "gay" being used as the descriptor.

Good, now that I have spoken up to friendly folk, it will be easier the next time it's UNfriendly folk I need to speak up to about their stereotyping.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 03:28:58 pm »
Lobster Newberg, Petit Fours, Jellied Madrilene, Eggs Benedict.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 04:11:59 pm »
(Feel better now, Clarissa? Hope so, Little Darlin'!)

What on earth is jellied madrilene (or even unjellied madrilene, for that matter)?

How about spinach souffle?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline acoustic man

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 04:19:40 pm »
Quiche, we all KNOW real men don't eat quiche  ;)
Hey I love quiche, eggs benedict and of course BBM ;D
"Night after night he'll treat you right baby it's the guitar man"
www.myspace.com/tulliodellaquila

Offline luigival

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 04:24:18 pm »
...funny post, really. Definitely, in this sterotyped world, the ONLY way to ascertain if a male is a TRUE male or NOT is: does he drink black coffee, strictly without sugar? Beware of ANY pretend male who only drinks tea or milk...
Just one question: if mimosa - as I said - sounds gay, ordering a "buck's fizz" would sound more masculine?
They were two friends of mine

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 04:40:32 pm »
(Feel better now, Clarissa? Hope so, Little Darlin'!)

Well, I can look myself in the eye now. :)

What on earth is jellied madrilene (or even unjellied madrilene, for that matter)?

Here's a cute description of it I just found:

Jellied Madrilene

The Description :
A cold soup that is salty, sweet and tangy at the same time. Don't omit the lemon at the end - that is what makes all the difference.

The Recipe :
Take one can of Campbell's Beef Consome and refrigerate it overnight. Open the can and dump gelled form into a soup bowl. I recommend Stangl's Golden Blossom as the dinnerware pattern of choice for this presentation. The creamy beige background flecked with brown and the signature brown rim is most complimentary to the cool, translucency of the consome. Here is where the artfulness comes into play. Use a fork to disturb the can-shaped soup until it resembles a mound of rough 1" cubes. The cubes should have a careless lack of precision about them; do not make them look as if they came out of an ice-cube tray. Squeeze 1 -2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice over the top of the mound and garnish it with a two overlapping lemon slices that are thin
enough to read through. Use one single parsley leaf for an accent.

The Review:
Our panel of judges went to the test kitchens and gave this report:
The Mister: " What the hell is that?"
The College Man: "No, Ma.I'm not eating beef jello."
The Teen Queen: declined to participate.
The Cook: I don't care. I like it. It really does taste good, and even if it didn't, this is a fine example of the
Number One Rule around here: If it looks good, you will think it tastes good.

Back to Clarissa:
My experience of it was in the early and mid-60s in the Edwardian Room and the Palm Court at the Plaza Hotel.  While my mother and I lived on TV dinners in a one-bedroom apartment in one part of Manhattan, my godparents lived in a multi-room golden palace-ette in another part of Manhattan. 

Three or four times a year, my godmother would disdainfully peel my real clothes off of me, bedeck me with a frou-frou outfit from Saks or Best, and take me to one of the finer restaurants, where I learned the difference between a cream soup spoon and a consomme spoon. 

Jellied Madrilene was a palate-cleanser between courses.  It was served (OF COURSE!) with a consomme spoon in a consomme cup (a little dainty handle on each side).  It's (as the description above says so well) soft beef jello, very cold, with wafer thin lemon slices atop.  Don't confuse it with a finger bowl, served in a simlar bowl, also with the wafer thin lemon slices!  Depending on how I remember it, it's delicious, or gross.

I haven't eaten it for nigh on 40 years...