Author Topic: Gayest Foods Ever  (Read 58083 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Gayest Foods Ever
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 06:33:24 pm »
And could you go another 40 years without eating it?

I'm not sure what seems gayer, the stuff itself or that recipe. "The cubes should have a careless lack of precision. ..."  :laugh: First time I ever saw a recipe that included a recommendation of a china pattern!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline TheStudDuck!

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 06:54:53 pm »
Apologies if you were offended, Clarissa.

As a Sociology major that discusses stereotypes in classes, I'm used to being a little bit too open about these types of things.  It always seems that there's a common understanding for where these things are in our society and our apathy (so to speak) is pretty much a "goes without saying."

And, as one would expect, I was overwhelmingly fine with the suggested "blackest foods ever" topic.  I would have to add orange soda to the brief, but stereotypically accurate, list that you so eloquently provided us with.  And cornbread.

I don't understand how it could possibly be offensive... I love fried chicken!  I guess I hold that opinion about this entire topic in general.  There can only be that negative connotation if you give it one.  What's wrong with liking Tom Collinses?  Nothing, I say!

But back on topic.  I'm surprised that this has actually generated the discussion it has.  I was anticipating it to be lost in the abyss of the BetterMost archives.

Because I hate beer, I'm often given funny looks at campus parties when I pull out the effiminate Mike's Hard Lemonade.  *shrugs*  At least it doesn't taste like beer.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 11:25:55 pm »
Alright, I'm going to admit I'm offended by the title of this topic.  If it was "Frou frou-est" Food Ever," or sumpn, that would be different to me.  But the word "gay" now means "homosexual."  It doesn't mean "rarified urban dandy, partially stuck in the 1950s."  It's too broad a term to be mocked this way without lumping a huge bunch of people into one type.  Not many gay people are actually recreating a Truman Capote dinner party when they sit down to eat every night.  (Not that he probably served Strawberry Quik...)

Shall we start a thread called "Blackest Food Ever?"  I think they all like fried chicken and watermelon, don't they?

And I'm not lacking a sense of humor - I see what's inherently funny about a list that includes chiffon cake and mimosas, trout almondine and drinks with little umbrellas in them.  Would Jack and Ennis get this list?  If they don't, are they then not-gay?

And what about all the gay women in the world?  Are they included in this brie and arugula-fest?

To conclude my courageous stance to speak up when some of my favorite gay and non-gay people have joined in the humor, I will briefly recap - the only part I mind is the word "gay" being used as the descriptor.

Good, now that I have spoken up to friendly folk, it will be easier the next time it's UNfriendly folk I need to speak up to about their stereotyping.

I, too, thought this was a bit bizarre as a topic.  Having taken Sociology myself, though many stereotypes are based in fact, this sort of topic is like asking "What are the traits of a man and what are the traits of a woman" and expect an answer.

BTW, my last boyfriend first thought I was bisexual or a lesbian because in his experience only lesbians took water with lemon.   ??? ??? ???

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 12:28:00 am »
I'll have to add my voice to those who were offended. I just didn't even look at the thread for a while because I wasn't crazy about the title.

Back to Tom Collinses. The very first time I ordered a drink in a bar, the legal drinking age was 18 and I was 16. My friend, who was 17, knew of this place that was known to be pretty slack about asking for IDs. When we got there, I had no idea what to do. "Just order a Tom Collins," my friend hissed. So I did. The waitress brought it. We sucked down our drinks through the straws -- it was pretty good! -- and got the heck out of there.

Years later, I worked as a cocktail waitress and laughed whenever I remembered that night. Tom Collins? I might as well have pasted a giant neon UNDERAGE sign on my forehead.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 02:50:07 am »
Tom Collins?  Tom Underage!

:)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 02:58:03 am »
The creamy beige background flecked with brown and the signature brown rim is most complimentary to the cool, translucency of the consome. Here is where the artfulness comes into play. Use a fork to disturb the can-shaped soup until it resembles a mound of rough 1" cubes.

Good Lord Clarissa, it sounds like they worry more about the china than the soup (it is soup, isn't it?)

This would never happen in Indiana, I can promise you. We're meat and potatoes out here. Slap it on a plate, dump a little A-1 on it and dig in.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 03:07:17 am »
Good Lord Clarissa, it sounds like they worry more about the china than the soup (it is soup, isn't it?)

This would never happen in Indiana, I can promise you. We're meat and potatoes out here. Slap it on a plate, dump a little A-1 on it and dig in.  :)

Hm, are you quite sure you're gay, David?  ;)  That doesn't sound like the Gayest Eating-style Ever.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 03:15:08 am »
Hm, are you quite sure you're gay, David?  ;)  That doesn't sound like the Gayest Eating-style Ever.

haha. So true. Well, Hoosier gay men are Midwestern, and we retain Midwestern habits. We just do it with a lot more class.  ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 03:50:18 am »
haha. So true. Well, Hoosier gay men are Midwestern, and we retain Midwestern habits. We just do it with a lot more class.  ;)

I'm probably not the first person to try to come up with a joke around "Hoosier Daddy," am I?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 04:14:36 am »
I'm probably not the first person to try to come up with a joke around "Hoosier Daddy," am I?

Nope! You're not! But because I love you Clarissa, I'll laugh anyway!  :laugh: