Author Topic: Gayest Foods Ever  (Read 58044 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Gayest Foods Ever
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2007, 11:55:31 pm »
In my day--college days--30 years ago--youngish straight men just drank great quantities of beer in short spans of time to get smashed in a hurry. At least, that's what they did where I went to school. But maybe times have changed?

No.  Now they just go to shot bars and get blasted for about $7 bucks at a $1 per shot.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2007, 12:05:06 am »
No.  Now they just go to shot bars and get blasted for about $7 bucks at a $1 per shot.

Back in "the day" (early 1980's) they had "Drink and Drown" every Wednesday night at one of the bars I went to. $5 to get in, and all the well drinks you wanted from 8:00 pm - 3:00 am. The place would be totally packed, and it was a fairly large bar (3 levels).

Yeah, I got pretty damn drunk a few times. (Well, more than a few times actually)  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2007, 10:11:10 am »
Back in "the day" (early 1980's) they had "Drink and Drown" every Wednesday night at one of the bars I went to. $5 to get in, and all the well drinks you wanted from 8:00 pm - 3:00 am. The place would be totally packed, and it was a fairly large bar (3 levels).

Eeeew.  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2007, 10:14:45 am »
What exactly is this thread about...at first blush, the name is rather off-putting.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2007, 10:14:59 am »
sidecar
"Like the Martini, the Sidecar has recently experienced a renaissance. The Sidecar was invented in the early 1900's and was popular until the beginning of World War II, but unfortunately was forgotten by most when the War came to an end. A few years ago, my request for a Sidecar was often met with "are you sure, that's what my grandmother drinks?" Luckily, the Sidecar is now enjoying a renewed popularity and can be easily had at most drinking establishments."  Brandy or cognac, triple sec, lemon and/or lime juice. Hmm I'd rate it moderately gay.

If you told me your grandmother drinks sidecars, I'd say your grandmother was pretty cool.

My grandmother rarely drank, but she liked grasshoppers:  I don't know if it's gay, but it's pretty old-lady.  Vodka, creme de cacao, cream and green creme de menthe.  Yuk.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2007, 11:11:37 am »
What I'm not gettin' is how or why people have been offended by this topic. I mean, seriously, ordinarily I'm pretty hypersensitive, but when I read the original post about the blue raspberry slushie as "gay" I laughed out loud.

??? (= a very puzzled J.W.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2007, 11:27:03 am »
If you told me your grandmother drinks sidecars, I'd say your grandmother was pretty cool.

My grandmother rarely drank, but she liked grasshoppers:  I don't know if it's gay, but it's pretty old-lady.  Vodka, creme de cacao, cream and green creme de menthe.  Yuk.

Ah, Paul, just for you:

GRASSHOPPER PIE

First came the grasshopper cocktail, a sweet digestif the essential ingredients of which are green (thus the grasshopper) crème de menthe, white crème de cacao, and cream; then, in the sixties, came the eponymous pie, which always has a crust of either cookie or graham cracker crumbs and is served chilled.

For the crust
1 1/2 cups fine chocolate wafer crumbs (about 30 wafers)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted

For the filling
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1 1/3 cups well-chilled heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup green crème de menthe
1/4 cup white crème de cacao
4 large egg yolks

grated mint-flavored chocolate (available at specialty foods shops) for garnish

Make the crust:
In a bowl stir together the wafer crumbs, the sugar, and the butter until the mixture is combined well, pat the mixture onto the bottom and up the side of a buttered 9-inch pie plate, and bake the crust in the middle of a preheated 450°F. oven for 5 minutes. Let the crust cool.

Make the filling:
In a metal bowl sprinkle the gelatin over 1/3 cup of the cream and let it soften for 5 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, the crème de menthe, the crème de cacao, and the egg yolks, set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it registers 160°F. on a candy thermometer. Transfer the bowl to a larger bowl of ice and cold water and stir the mixture until it is cooled and thickened. In another bowl beat the remaining 1 cup cream until it holds stiff peaks and fold it into the crème de menthe mixture thoroughly.

Pour the filling into the crust and chill the pie for 4 hours, or until is set. Sprinkle the pie with the grated chocolate.

Hugs,

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2007, 11:28:38 am »

My grandmother rarely drank, but she liked grasshoppers:  I don't know if it's gay, but it's pretty old-lady.  Vodka, creme de cacao, cream and green creme de menthe.  Yuk.

I think that sounds well nice!! don#'t know if I fancy a pie made of it though!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2007, 12:24:58 pm »
I think that sounds well nice!! don#'t know if I fancy a pie made of it though!

Mmmm. Grasshopper pie is good! All chocolatey and minty, like a York peppermint patty, only tons better!

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2007, 01:29:50 pm »
That reminds me of a long time ago when I went out for drinks with some friends. One of the guys ordered a creme de menthe and I remember another guy making a remark about it. I don't remember the remark itself but he was implying it was a gay drink. Well that the guy was gay - which I think he was - but he never came out while I knew him.

Any of those chocolatey minty kind of after dinner drinks are pretty gay. How did we switch to drinks when we were talking about food?

My vote for gayest food: tiny portions of ____ with baby carrots served on a giant plate and drizzled with ____.
You can fill in the blanks with whatever.

How about sushi? Is that gay?