Author Topic: Jake In Drag??  (Read 44299 times)

mvansand76

Re: Jake In Drag??
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2007, 09:25:34 am »
That cowboy's name is Will Forte.  He is a regular SNL cast member.

Aaaaaah thank you!  :-*

injest

« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2007, 09:37:43 am »
That's what I loved about Brokeback Mountain, Jess. There were no cheap gay stereotypes in the movie (and I must admit I was very afraid there would be the first time I saw the movie). The movie was about two men in love. Period. And it made us think too. Hell, we're sitting here over a year later still discussing and analyzing it. I wish they would create a sitcom like Brokeback Mountain. A sitcom (or some kind of weekly program) about a group of gay men without all the cheap shots. Do you think it will EVER happen?

I can't figure out what NBC was thinking when they created Will & Grace. The money was talking to them, obviously. They certainly weren't looking out for the interests of gay people in this country.

[[[[[Jess]]]]]]    :)

A drama that featured gay men using actors that are not so stressed or stiff about playing gay...that just told the stories of gay guys without all the cheap shots??

that would be a pleasant surprise...and maybe ever once in a while they could let there be a happy ending!!  :o

Don't hold your breath though I would miss you!

ps...

I was watching Brothers and Sisters the other night and there was a scene where two guys were flirting back and forth and I had the EWWW feeling....and I was feeling bad about being homophobic...then I realized I NEVER had the EWWW feeling when I was watching BBM...maybe it wasn't homophobia....maybe it was really bad acting!!  :laugh:

(the guy that is playing the gay son does fine when he is interacting with his siblings but lort when he has to interact romantically with a man? you can hear the wood creaking like an old rowboat)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2007, 10:28:13 am »
'Queer Eye' To End

Hit US makeover show Queer Eye For The Straight Guy is to wrap up after the series' fifth season this summer. The show, which has spawned a number of foreign shows, features five gay stylists who transform culturally challenged heterosexuals into well-groomed trendsetters. The program has been a big hit on US cable network Bravo for the past four years. The reality show will make way for new programs featuring Paula Abdul, and Project Runway star Tim Gunn. Abdul's new series, which is tentatively titled Hey Paula!, will follow the "Straight Up" singer and American Idol judge in her professional and personal life.

From IMDB today
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Scott6373

« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2007, 10:30:29 am »

From IMDB today

All I can say is...Thank God

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2007, 10:44:41 am »
The reality show will make way for new programs featuring Paula Abdul, and Project Runway star Tim Gunn. Abdul's new series, which is tentatively titled Hey Paula!, will follow the "Straight Up" singer and American Idol judge in her professional and personal life.

From IMDB today

As I said, I only watched one or two episodes of "Queer Eye." But I can't imagine making it through 15 minutes of "Hey Paula!" What is our culture coming to?  :P

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2007, 04:48:50 pm »
Does anybody else think Jake lip-synched the song?  I'm assuming he lip-synched to his own singing, but I've watched the opening three times and I'm pretty sure.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2007, 05:04:29 pm »
That thought didn't even occur to me.  I suppose it's possible.  I haven't watched my TiVo'ed copy of it yet - I've only seen it on the web - and it looks pretty authentic at least there to me.

No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2007, 06:18:32 pm »
That thought didn't even occur to me.  I suppose it's possible.  I haven't watched my TiVo'ed copy of it yet - I've only seen it on the web - and it looks pretty authentic at least there to me.

It looks to me like he did a really good job, but you can sometimes tell, especially at the beginnings and ends of lines.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2007, 01:12:59 am »
For those of you who did not like it or were offended let me offer a few thoughts that may help you get past that sense of offense.  SNL is about satire not political correctness. Otherwise President Bush should be having a major hissy fit this morning. Perhaps some of his supporters are, perhaps he is but the point is this anyone who watches SNL should be prepared and willing to have fun poked at their expense.

We forget that these 2 fine actors are not obsessed with this film, we are.    Neither Jake nor Heath signed up to be the poster boys for Gay Rights when they agreed to play these roles.  We all need to lighten up a bit.  I really can't blame Jake and Health for wanting to put the film behind them and move on with their careers. So I feel Jake was being a good sport. I remember reading an acceptance speech made recently by Heath in his native Australia for still yet another BBM recognition award. He stated "this film doesn't want to go away" and in essence, told the audience the best thing to come out of this film is his family.

If I were to have a chance meeting with either two I don't believe I would bring up the subject of BBM. I imagine they are plumb well full of hearing about it.  In a couple of years Heath will be rolling his eyeballs over everyone doing Joker imitations... this too shall pass.

as Clarissa shared from her meeting with Lynne and Truman, Lynne's very wise observation: " We do alot better if we remember that Heath and Jake are NOT Ennis and Jack" (apologies to Lynne if the wording is off)

well i must say i agree with what you have said...the last half of it that is..the fact that heath, and jake are actors.  they are neither gay nor role models.  they didnt take on the shouldering of all the rest for their life, the very essence of gayness.  they should endeavor to remain correct in their respect for anyone, and that includes the gay and lesbians in the world...if they do something in bad taste that will hurt people..then i believe that they must then answer for that behavior....personally not being gay or lesbian,,i suppose it could be said that i am not qualified to judge the way that he present his jokes or humor,,,but i saw nothing really offensive in what he did on the show....the only thing he did was maybe making the error of deciding to be on a show that i found very badly written.  giveing him routines to do that were neither funny, nor charming...personally i was so bored ,,i fell asleep in the middle. 
         the show that heath was on when he said the movie just wont go away, was the santa barbara film festival awards, and he won for best actor in a lead role/
         i was very disappointed to have the show such a failure, in my opinion he is one of the very best of our young actors.  he has in the past
proven himself to be capable to do humor, off the cuff,,,,and from the written page.  maybe they should have allowed him to do some of the
writing and thereby having the show be at least funny ..  
        i hate to be the true lone dissenter here other than jess and garry...but im not a flame artist,  i never say bad things in my following of
amateur writers...they do not get paid, and have the courage to write, and give the best offering that they can provide...however in my opinion
when a person is getting paid tremendous sums of money to do a certain job, we have the right, maybe the obligation even to give what is the
modern equivilent of the emporers new clothes...attitude....it wasnt funny,,,,after all, isnt that the object...?
        regardless of where or not i find jake to be adorable ...which he most certainly is...and i do...i feel the need to express the fact that i was
personally embaressed by the show and his participation in it....so now ive had my say...you may return to the regularly scheduled broadcast..
                                                                                                                                              janice

(hope you don't mind Janice...fixed the Quote!! Jess.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:28:45 am by injest »

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2007, 01:30:27 am »
It looks to me like he did a really good job, but you can sometimes tell, especially at the beginnings and ends of lines.

Clarissa, I have watched my tape of Jake's SNL show last week, and I can't tell if he's lip sycing or not. If he is, he is doing a really good job. I have seen many drag shows, and it takes a great deal of talent to lip sync something so perfectly.

My hunch is he did this live, but I'm not 100% sure. You may be right though.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.