Author Topic: Cold Case: Forever Blue  (Read 64234 times)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Re: Cold Case Forever Blue: Brokeback all over again?
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2007, 09:02:48 am »
I think it really is worth a whole movie, there is so much in this story that is so interesting. Hey anybody notice the Eileen/Lureen thing?  ;)

Noticed the Lureen parallel straight away, and thought there was something of Alma in there too - perhaps even more Alma than Lureen?

It just struck me that this episode is a bit like the original BBM novella - it just gives you snippets upon which you can build your own imagining of the characters and their histories.
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2007, 09:13:20 am »
Noticed the Lureen parallel straight away, and thought there was something of Alma in there too - perhaps even more Alma than Lureen?

It just struck me that this episode is a bit like the original BBM novella - it just gives you snippets upon which you can build your own imagining of the characters and their histories.

Yeah and it did a very good job in telling the story in such a way, I really did feel for the two guys right from the first minute of the episode. I did know what was going to happen, but after finishing the episode I had to go back and watch the first scene again!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2007, 01:07:53 pm »
STILL SPOILERS

Yeah I thought so. I was really confused by the end of the conversation just before they touched hands, where Jimmy says I don't know and Coop says are you sure and Jimmy replies Guess I don't have a choice. Do you really think that they decided to try a life together, it's such confusing dialogue. 

yeah, the time sequence was a bit jumbled up, wasn't it? it was in the christening scene that Jimmy talked about his son growing up to be something other than a cop, and Coop says, "guys like us stuck with this life." or something to that effect. But in the scene where they talked by the cars, Jimmy reminded Coop of what he said, but that scene is supposed to have happened before the Christening?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Cold Case: Forever Blue
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2007, 01:18:16 pm »
There are at least 3 fanfictions about it on LiveJournal, and a 50-some page thread on it on DaveCullen. There's really nothing wrong with the factual "Cold Case Files' running on A&E--why the hell was I so negastive?

But this episode on CBS is haunting and beautiful.

I think she meant Eileen/Alma.

First verse of first song:

I could hide neath the wings
of the bluebird as she sings.
The six o"clock alarm would never ring.
But it rings, and I rise
rub the sleep out of my eyes.
My shavin' razor's cold and it stings.

Last two lines of last song:

Ah, but i was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:48:04 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

midwest-girl

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »
yeah, the time sequence was a bit jumbled up, wasn't it? it was in the christening scene that Jimmy talked about his son growing up to be something other than a cop, and Coop says, "guys like us stuck with this life." or something to that effect. But in the scene where they talked by the cars, Jimmy reminded Coop of what he said, but that scene is supposed to have happened before the Christening?
I'm not sure that in the scene where they touch hands and are talking about a life together that Coop is referring to the christening when he talks about a different kind of life.  For starters, like you said, I think the Christening comes after that scene.  I think there were other talks we just didn't see.  Because in that final scene Jimmy says, "I wasn't thinking right when we talked" and references spending time at Coop's place.  I wish we could have heard the talk(s) they had about being together.  Of course, that would just break my heart even more at the end.   :-\

midwest-girl

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2007, 01:39:03 pm »
I think she meant Eileen/Alma.

Julie, I think she was talking about the similarities between the names Eileen and Lureen.  I could be wrong, though.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2007, 01:55:52 pm »
I just posted this post, and I'm NOT going to go through it again in whole!
DEFINITE SPOILERS!
There are 3 scenes between the cars:
1) the one in which Coop says "We're the lucky ones," and Jimmy answers "I don't know" and Coop says: "you sure about that?" and Jimmy says "I guess..i have no choice." and the camera shows their hands grazing between them.
In the seond, Jimmy breaks it off, right before Coop's death.
In the third, in Jimmy's mind only, he walks into the old yard (2006) and sees Coop, young, standing by his car with his hand on the hood. Jimmy walks over to him and puts his hand on Coop's. They are both young again. Then the scene fades, and the cars and Coop disappear, and Jimmy is an old man again.

The scene in the backyard that Eileen witnesses happens several months before the christening scene--since she's only 5-6 months pregnant in the backyard scene.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 02:38:35 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

midwest-girl

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2007, 02:49:01 pm »
I just posted this post, and I'm NOT going to go through it again in whole!
DEFINITE SPOILERS!
There are 3 scenes between the cars:
1) the one in which Coop says "We're the lucky ones," and Jimmy answers "I don't know" and Coop says: "you sure about that?" and Jimmy says "I guess..i have no choice." and the camera shows their hands grazing between them.

Julie, this is the scene we're talking about.  It happens before the christening and we were saying we wish we could have heard all of the conversations between them that they refer to throughout the episode.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2007, 03:03:28 pm »
Thanks for posting the link. I watched this episode and yes, very BBM. heartbreaking story.

I loved how Coop leans against the petrol car in the last scene, that reminded me so much of Jack and Ennis's first meeting outside Aguirre's trailer.

And a very sad moment when Jimmy said 'I miss him'  :'(  :'( It was clear he really loved Coop.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:48:50 am by belbbmfan »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2007, 03:36:54 pm »
Julie, I think she was talking about the similarities between the names Eileen and Lureen.  I could be wrong, though.

I was indeed, thank you Amy...  :D