Author Topic: What is your music lately?  (Read 51330 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
What is your music lately?
« on: January 15, 2007, 05:17:18 pm »
I wasn't sure where to start this thread ..lol.. Anyway..
I am curious about the kind of music my fellow Brokies listen to ..  :)

I love listening to music at work, when I am cleaning at home, cooking or working on the computer.  I NEED music most times, I guess.

Lately, I've been playing Josh Groban's latest CD "Awake" quite abit.  I love him, no surprise there! 
I listen to Joss Stone every single day at work .. so young, so incredibly talented!
Every coupla days, I listen to the BBM soundtrack at work, when I know I won't be interupted too much ..lol..

I am currently listening to "Broken" by Amy Lee and Seether - beautiful song.

What is your music lately?  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: What is your music lately?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 05:34:26 pm »
yep, cooking, cleaning, working, driving.... i need music too.

i've been listening to Lucinda Williams a lot lately, especially her album Essence, which is my favorite. And Richard Shindell, an American singer songwriter who lives in Buenos Aires.

And Admiral Freebee, a Belgian rock/folk singer who has released a new album Wild Dreams of New Beginnings. He recorded a song with Emmylou Harris!  :o It's great!

and the BBM soundtrack of course  ::)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 05:43:20 pm »
Funny you should ask that.  I was just thinking yesterday that my husband must not mind my obsession with Green Day so much anymore because it's been so totally eclipsed by my Brokeback one that it seems tame in comparison.

BB (Before Brokeback), I was absolutely consumed by Green Day's "American Idiot" CD.  I could not stop listening to it.  From start to finish.  Every day in my car to and from work.  When I'd had enough of that after several days/weeks in a row, I'd listen to their "International Superhits!" or "Warning" CDs.  Like Brokeback, I felt that anyone who wasn't listening to "American Idiot" (and who liked rock and/or punk rock) needed to be educated on all its merits, and pronto.  I must have foisted it on about 10 different co-workers.  Like Brokeback, two or three of them loved it, three or four of them liked it, and the other two or three hated it.

So what am I listening to lately?  Green Day.  Have they come out with something new?  No, not really.  Still listening to "American Idiot."  I guess it's fitting, come to think of it.

Maybe I should get some recommendations.  I like Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Tool, and the Arctic Monkeys, too.  Still a head-banger after all these years, mostly.  So does anyone have some good rock/punk/hip-hop they'd like to recommend?
No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 05:46:01 pm »

Another artist I love to death:  Dido.

I anxiously await her new album!  Supposed to be released early this year or so .. can't wait!

Scott6373

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 06:08:55 pm »
Easy...Vince Gil...his new CD is actually 4 CD's long...gonna take me a while to wade through that much C&W music

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 06:12:58 pm »
I've also been listening to more country music lately. LauraGigs invited me to the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Denver this past weekend and I obtained a CD by Dave Stamey, a former cowpuncher from Central California with a wonderful liquidy voice and a great yodel.

It now sits next to my Death Cab for Cutie CD.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 08:40:17 pm »
I love Dido! Great voice and great songs.
I've been listening to acoustic music. I download songs on limewire and listen while I'm on the computer (which is pert near all the time.)

The Postal Service
Iron and Wine
Snow Patrol
Donnie Darko soundtrack
Death Cab for Cutie
Elliott Smith
Garden State soundtrack

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:03:51 am »
Since I've come to college and become more and more of a theatre geek, I've gotten more and more into showtunes. If forced to pick a favorite, I'd probably say Rent. Great music. I also love love love Monty Python's Spamalot and the musical we did here at school last semester, Zombie Prom. Wicked is good, but I'm not nearly as obsessed with it as a lot of people are. And of course West Side Story and The Music Man and classics like that are always good. Oh, and my roommate has been listening to Dreamgirls all the time, and I like that too. And I'm seeing Urinetown - the Musical this weekend which I heard is really good and I already have the cast recording, so I'll probably start listening to that a lot after I see it.

Outside of musicals, I like pop-punk stuff that most people think is bad. Barb, I love the International Superhits CD. I didn't get into American Idiot as much though. I also like Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eat World, Bowling for Soup, and blink-182.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 12:10:10 am by cmr107 »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 01:35:26 pm »
I love Dido! Great voice and great songs.

Her third album is set for release in March .. and not soon enough!  :)

Currently listening to "Alejate" by Josh Groban!

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 01:46:35 pm »
Spinning on my turntable as we speak is Elbow 'Leaders of the Free World' - great, great album.

Latest purchase was Madonna 'Confessions on a Dancefloor' - just when I was ready to write her off she comes up with this cracking album!

And others too numerous to mention... ;D
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 02:48:03 pm »
and the Arctic Monkeys, too. 

Are the Artic Monkeys big in America? Who would have thought?! Did you know Barb, that the only began playing instruments a few years ago?

Milli - I loovvve Dido too..

Whats' playing in my CD player at the moment?

Scissor Sisters - Tah-Dah
James Morrison - Undiscovered
Take That - Beautiful World
The Magic Numbers - Those The Brokes

Plan to get soon:

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black (I really really like Re-hab)
Razorlight - Razorlight
The Fratellis - Costello Music
Paolo Nutini - These Streets
The Feeling - Twelve Stops And Home (who Becky is obsessed with)
Keane - Under The Iron Sea

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 04:48:10 pm »
Latest purchase was Madonna 'Confessions on a Dancefloor' - just when I was ready to write her off she comes up with this cracking album!

Isn't it great? I think I could listen to it all day, it makes me really happy, especially Jump and Sorry!

I am always listening to Gordon Lightfoot (the golden oldies), Alison Krauss and Bruce Springsteen. Lately I have been listening to:

Snow Patrol (Run and Chasing cars)
The Fray (How to save a life)
Anna Nalick (Breathe)
Jann Arden (Hangin' by a thread)
India.Arie (I am ready for love)

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 08:04:22 pm »
Isn't it great? I think I could listen to it all day, it makes me really happy, especially Jump and Sorry!

Oooo, two of my fave tracks! I bought it after hearing Jump on the radio. I also really love 'Push' - groooovy baby!  :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 08:38:38 pm »
I was absolutely consumed by Green Day's "American Idiot" CD.  I could not stop listening to it.  From start to finish.

I did this for a while, too! And my son made me an all-Green Day mix that I listened to in between. I like a lot of those songs, but "American Idiot" is definitely their masterpiece.

Then it was on to Soul Asylum. I've been a big Soul Asylum fan for years -- they're from Minneapolis, as I am -- but they just put out their first album in about a decade, "The Silver Lining," and it's great. So this summer, I did a lot of driving alternating between that and the BBM soundtrack.  For some reason, they complemented each other perfectly. In between, I alternated old Soul Asylum CDs, the Lords of Dogtown soundtrack, Garden State soundtrack, Keane, White Stripes, Coldplay, Johnny Cash mixes by my sons and other odds and ends...

And around Christmastime, I bought Lady Sovereign's album, and I've been listening to that pretty constantly since then.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 10:23:49 pm »
I *love* Soul Asylum!  Haven't listened to them in a long time, but "Runaway Train" is my favorite song of theirs - I think I posted its lyrics once on the "Songs that make me think of Brokeback Mountain" thread.  Gotta do it again, just for old time's sake.

;)

Call you up in the middle of the night
Like a firefly without a light
You were there like a slow torch burning
I was a key that could use a little turning

So tired that I couldn't even sleep
So many secrets I couldn't keep
Promised myself I wouldn't weep
One more promise I couldn't keep

It seems no one can help me now
I'm in too deep
There's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray

CHORUS
Runaway train never going back
Wrong way on a one way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here no there

Can you help me remember how to smile
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded
Life's mystery seems so faded

I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train

Everything is cut and dry
Day and night, earth and sky
Somehow I just don't believe it

CHORUS

Bought a ticket for a runaway train
Like a madman laughin' at the rain
Little out of touch, little insane
Just easier than dealing with the pain

Runaway train never comin' back
Runaway train tearin' up the track
Runaway train burnin' in my veins
Runaway but it always seems the same

God.  I adore that song.  Thanks for reminding me of it, Katherine.

And I agree - "American Idiot" is Green Day's masterpiece.  What still slays me to this day when I listen to it is how "Jesus of Suburbia" and "St. Jimmy" are each five great songs all rolled up in one.  Some bands work for decades trying to make just one song as good as any of those 10.  And those 10 comprise only about 1/5 of the entire album!

I'm particularly partial these days to "Novacaine" and "Whats-Her-Name," but it's all brilliant.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 03:23:41 am »
I *love* Soul Asylum!

I am so excited to know of another Soul Asylum fan! Let me highly recommend their new CD. And "Grave Dancers Union," the CD with the song you quoted, is also wonderful. I quoted a song from it ("Without a Trace") in a magazine essay once.

I'm particularly partial these days to "Novacaine" and "Whats-Her-Name," but it's all brilliant.

Yes, they are amazing. For me it would "Holiday," "Jesus" and "Novocaine" (the lyrics to "Novocaine" remind me a little of BBM obsession, in fact). But there's no song on the whole CD that I don't like.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 03:31:55 am »
You all are making me feel like an old fart.  :( ...  :)

I'm only 44 ya'll.

I haven't heard of most of these groups you all are talking about. I do like Green Day however. And I love their song "American Idiot".

Living in the Midwest, I grew up listening to Country music. I love Lonestar, Alan Jackson, Sara Evans, etc...

I also love the old groups I grew up listening to like The Eagles, Boston, Kiss, Styx, The Beegees, Village People, Kansas and Chicago.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 03:57:19 am »
David~
Your not an old fart!    44 is a great age!    40's is "the old age of youth and the youth of of old age".   I happen to believe men and woman in their forties  and fifties  are at thier sexiest. Their peak!   Just because you love country and western has nothing to do with age  . it's a matter of taste.   You have good taste right now. You have earned it!   I love country and Western too right now   .Plus  I love classic rock, Elton John James taylor, I love Stevie Nicks. Beatles. Stones. I have a couple Geenday songs I like. I'm 38.  I  D-J and guess what, Most of the request i get at the peak of ther night are for Garth Brooks  ZZ Top, , Bachman Turner Overdrive, Charlie Daniels, and believe it or not Hank Williams Jr.!!   Alot of Country Rock fans out there still.  And the big shock is ,  alot of the request come from kids in their twenties!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 02:24:19 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 09:03:04 am »
I love Stevie Nicks. Beatles. Stones.

Geri, you talking about old Steamy Nicks has made me put on Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours', which I haven't listened to in eons. WHAT an album!! I'd forgotten how effen great it is!! :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 10:45:47 am »
David, I love Styx - especially their older stuff like "Crystal Ball," "Suite Madame Blue," and "Fooling Yourself."  I got to go backstage at one of their more recent concerts (it was in 2000, I think).  I didn't get to meet Dennis DeYoung since he no longer tours with them, but I did get to meet most of the rest of them.  Nice guys.  All in their 50s and 60s but actually well enough "preserved" that you'd think they were more like 40-something.  They've all quit smoking and drinking, so they haven't aged so badly as a lot of their peers.  Steve Walsh (of Kansas) looks like hell these days, but he can still belt out a song - I'll give him that.

Here's a little something for all you classic rock and country music lovers to enjoy - funny stuff from a guy who can do singing impressions of just about anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW_EaGdpf4U

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 10:50:53 am »
I'm 49. I never listen to the radio, rarely go out to clubs anymore, am not really up on current music. When I read the lists of top 10 songs and albums, I've usually heard of only two or three on the list.

But I do like some current bands. The secret is having kids. My 12-year-old son knows more about music than I knew in college. He doesn't like all the same things I do, but in many cases the way I first heard the bands was by looking over his shoulder at music videos or itunes.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 01:26:58 pm »
Will isn't old enough yet to be able to recommend bands to me, but he does seem to like the same ones I do.  I guess he probably would no matter what I liked, but he really has taken a shine to Green Day and asks to hear specific songs when we're in the car.  Sometimes we listen to the radio, and I often have it tuned to a new rock station - that's the only way I find out about new bands like the Arctic Monkeys - I don't watch MTV or any of those anymore (not that they show music videos anymore, anyway).  He still seems to like the same stuff I do, even if he doesn't know I like it when we're listening to it.

Even my fuddy-duddy husband likes Green Day's "Warning" CD.  I call it a kinder, gentler "American Idiot."  There's a common thread that links all those songs together, too - it's kind of their precursor to the ultimate concept rock album.

Katherine, I will most definitely check out those two Soul Asylum CDs.  I'd love to hear "Runaway Train" again - they almost never play that on the radio anymore.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 01:46:07 pm »
I was at a party last summer -- parents and kids celebrating the end of the youth baseball season -- and the subject of music came up and a woman started castigating me for letting my kids listen to Green Day. I assumed at first she meant the swear words, so I explained that I don't get upset about my kids hearing profanity in music or movies as long as I don't have to hear it coming out of their mouths.

But no! The profanity wasn't even her main concern (though that was a problem, too). She was talking about the politics! She asked how I could let my children listen to music that criticizes our country and our president!! I almost did a spit take with my pinot grigio. I live in a very liberal neighborhood, and that kind of attitude is SO unheard of. Her ex-husband, who happened to be the baseball coach, jumped in and said his own politics were closer to mine, and gave me a high five. It was a very weird moment.

Anyway, Barb, it's amazing how much we've been finding in common lately -- considering you're generally more of a "blue" person and I tend to be more of a "tan" person. (You know what I'm mean by blue and tan, right?  ;))

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 01:57:40 pm »
Barb and I will turn you into a Gyllenhaalic yet, Katherine!!

Speaking of heat about politics, you wouldn't believe the heat I caught for taking my kids to a Crosby, Stills Nash & Young concert last summer! Afterwards, I got the CD Living With War by Neil Young and my trumpeter son refuses to listen to it even tho there are a couple of fantastic trumpet solos on it (one is on "Let's Impeach the President")

and only half-off-topic I understand Obama filed his election paperwork, yay!!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 05:06:20 am »
Barb and I will turn you into a Gyllenhaalic yet, Katherine!!

Speaking of heat about politics, you wouldn't believe the heat I caught for taking my kids to a Crosby, Stills Nash & Young concert last summer! Afterwards, I got the CD Living With War by Neil Young and my trumpeter son refuses to listen to it even tho there are a couple of fantastic trumpet solos on it (one is on "Let's Impeach the President")

and only half-off-topic I understand Obama filed his election paperwork, yay!!

Your som is a trumpeter!? Cool! (I play a cornet - which is basically a trumpet)

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 07:54:04 am »
Your som is a trumpeter!? Cool! (I play a cornet - which is basically a trumpet)

I think Courtney plays the trumpet.  I think that's why she chose that blues musician trumpeter emoticon at IMDb for her sig line.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 08:18:27 am »
yes, you're right she does - although we've never said much about it in conversation - Anke is also a Euphonium player! (Another Brass instrument)

we could form a little online Bettermost Band!!

heh.. do you think the chatroom would facilitate that!?!  ;D :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 08:27:09 am »
We have quite a few musicians here.  It would be so cool to have a way to play together.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 01:07:14 pm »
And I can't talk about music I love and leave out ..

The Mamas and the Papas

especially music by Mama Cass Elliot.. :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 05:10:26 pm »
Anyway, Barb, it's amazing how much we've been finding in common lately -- considering you're generally more of a "blue" person and I tend to be more of a "tan" person. (You know what I'm mean by blue and tan, right?  ;))

If you're referring to Jack and Ennis and the clothes they wear and what I find attractive, then yes, I do.  If not, then no, I don't.  ;)

Check this one out - for Christmas from one of our neighbors, my husband the devout atheist got A HOLY BIBLE.  We can't even regift it because they had his name engraved on the front of it.  Can you believe that crap?  Conversely to you, I live in a very conservative neighborhood within a very liberal town.  I knew I was in trouble when I learned after the first week here that three out of five of my immediate neighbors attend the same church.

Funny thing - they gave me some shower gel.  I said they must have thought I was a lost cause and Ed said it's apparently to "wash the sin off of" me.   :laugh:

(If they knew the half of it, they wouldn't even speak to me.)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 05:24:07 pm »
Check this one out - for Christmas from one of our neighbors, my husband the devout atheist got A HOLY BIBLE. 

Wow. That is a pretty presumptuous gift to give someone you don't know well enough even to know if he'd want it.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 06:16:58 pm »
If you're referring to Jack and Ennis and the clothes they wear and what I find attractive, then yes, I do.  If not, then no, I don't.  ;)

Check this one out - for Christmas from one of our neighbors, my husband the devout atheist got A HOLY BIBLE.  We can't even regift it because they had his name engraved on the front of it.  Can you believe that crap?  Conversely to you, I live in a very conservative neighborhood within a very liberal town.  I knew I was in trouble when I learned after the first week here that three out of five of my immediate neighbors attend the same church.

Funny thing - they gave me some shower gel.  I said they must have thought I was a lost cause and Ed said it's apparently to "wash the sin off of" me.   :laugh:

That is effin' unbelievable.  An engraved bible seems like something only maybe a person's parents would give them as they came of age or sumpn.  And the shower gel surprises me too, for a different reason - because it implies that, you know [blush], you have a body.  Oh my!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 06:23:36 pm »

Funny thing - they gave me some shower gel.  I said they must have thought I was a lost cause and Ed said it's apparently to "wash the sin off of" me.   :laugh:

Oh my goodness - what an odd odd odd present. They must know you are'r religiiuswhen you don't leave your house at the same time as them on a sunday - or attend their church... so plainly they are trying to indoctrinate you - but you would have thought they would have been more subtle..

Also -  Why were they even buying you a gift? I certainly don't buy my neighbours a gift for Xmas!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 02:33:17 am »
That is effin' unbelievable.  An engraved bible seems like something only maybe a person's parents would give them as they came of age or sumpn.  And the shower gel surprises me too, for a different reason - because it implies that, you know [blush], you have a body.  Oh my!

I know! What kind of mixed message is that? On the one hand, they're practically ordering your husband to find the Lord, on the other hand, they're busy picturing you showering!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2007, 03:55:00 am »
I know! What kind of mixed message is that? On the one hand, they're practically ordering your husband to find the Lord, on the other hand, they're busy picturing you showering!

It would be funny to think what might be appropriate reciprocating gifts to these.  A "What Would Jesus Do" wristband and some KY jelly?  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 04:40:43 am »
It would be funny to think what might be appropriate reciprocating gifts to these.  A "What Would Jesus Do" wristband and some KY jelly?  :)

Well at least it would help protect the wrist from chafing.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 07:03:14 am »
:laugh: at Elle and David!

I know - I was floored.  I should have said these are neighbors and friends whose kids play with Will.  Ed plays tennis with the husband regularly.  But still...  They asked us point blank at a picnic once where we go to church.  They had been good to us during/after the hurricanes, so we gave our stock polite answer - that Ed was raised Catholic and I was raised Methodist, but that we don't attend any church right now.

Last year their kids brought over presents for Will.  We were totally unprepared.  So this year, we got their kids something and a little something for them.  In our case, we gave them a  bike rack you suspend from your garage ceiling for their and their three kids' bikes.  We have one and they had admired it one time when they were over.  Ed even installed it for them, which is no mean feat as I recall, but he likes doing that sort of thing.  Totally appropriate, right?  So again, I was floored.  We were both polite about it, but after they left, I said, "So, are you gonna carry that everywhere you go in case you have trouble remembering a verse you're quoting?"  He goes, "Now, now.  You know they're deeply religious."  I said, "Yeah, but that doesn't mean we have to be."  He says 'they meant well.'  I don't know - I find it deeply arrogant, myself.

And Katherine, I'm guessing that if these folks even know who Green Day are (their oldest is 10, so they may not yet), they'd be appalled to know I let Will listen to them, too, and for that same reason.  Let's put it this way - the day after the mid-term elections, when I was walking on Cloud Nine and gave them a hearty "Hey!  Beautiful day today, isn't it?"  I got, "We don't want to talk about it" in return.

No more beans!

Scott6373

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2007, 08:41:06 am »
This episode reminds me of when I first started working at a UU church as a soloist.  It's been quite a long time now, but, back then I was still a practicing Catholic (I stress practicing because I really never could get it right)...anyway...I walked in for my first Sunday service not knowing quite what to expect.  Their so-called altar had all sorts of symbology on it from almost every religion...I was a little nervous...LOL.

All my Cath friends said, make sure those heathens don't convert you...I laughed and said yeah right...well don't ya know...as soon as the service was over, one of the more vocal members of the church came up to introduce himself and promptly attempted to "convert" me.  As politely as I could ( and for those of you who know me, you know I have no problem speaking my mind), I told him thanks but no thanks, but I thought...holy crap...it's like a business with religions...get em quick and get em to pledge...money...whatever. 

As an aside...I'm still there 17 years later.  A lot of the folks I sing with have become dear friends.  I no longer practice Catholicism (or any other religion), and the one thing I have learned is that organized religion, by the very nature of the name, it anything but religious.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2007, 09:26:28 am »
It's funny how these folks (and our other religious friends) always seem to like Ed better, when he is the one, secretly, who is much more a devout atheist than I.  Maybe he's just better at hiding his disdain for their missionary (so to speak) ways than I am.  The wife of the two tried pretty hard with me in the beginning, come to think of it.  She was hosting a ladies' reading group at her house every Thursday morning, and the book was The Purpose-Driven Life.  I knew the "purpose" spoken of in the title is God's purpose, so I didn't want any part of that.  I was very polite about it - saying that I couldn't do it because I was working (part-time at that point).  But she'd still ask me every week as if we'd never had the conversation.  I think she's always been a little bit offended that I blew that off.  But how come she doesn't worry that I'm a little bit offended that she even badgered me about it in the first place?  This is the arrogance I'm talking about.  I mean, I happen to believe that there is no God.  But I'm not so arrogant as to believe that everyone should think the same way.  If I were, I'd have given her a much different answer than the polite one I did give.

Getting back to the music this thread is supposed to be about (yes, I've once again hijacked a thread, haven't I?), I can't help but think of myself sometimes when I hear this Green Day lyric in "Jesus of Suburbia" - "In a land of make-believe, they don't believe in me."
No more beans!

Scott6373

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 09:41:28 am »
Back to music...good idea.

Being a professional musician has one huge downfall.  Active music listening becomes work and pleasure listening becomes more a desire to not listen to silence.  That being said, I spend the greatest amount of time inactively listening BBM radio (at work), and then work on music that I am going to be performing otherwise.

Right now, I am preparing for a concert in March, at which I will be premiering a piece that was written for me back in 2001.  It's a solo cantata for tenor, strings and keyboard titles "I Am".  It uses text from various sources set in a traditional cantata form, but the music itself is...well...very avant garde to say the least.

The only time I get to truly listen to music for pleasure is during the summer when my performance schedule isn't quite as packed.

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2007, 10:31:31 am »
I personally love film music above all else. I also love classical and new age instrumental, along with the occasional pop/rock/R&B music haha. All of these genres affect my moods and emotions and make me feel great when I hear them, particularly if, like the Brokeback Mountain score, they have sentimental memories attached to them.

I'm really loving the Brokeback expanded score, which I recently acquired thanks to some connections. It's so simplistic yet complex., and over twice as long as the original soundtrack's version. It's fantastic (but in mp4 format, though I can convert it to mp3 if anyone with AIM would like me to send it on over.).
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 05:00:57 pm »
Time to post a real curiosity here, don't you think?  ;)

Here's the YouTube link to a very popular song of a German band of the moment: Wir sind Helden (= We are Heroes) with one of their greatest hits: Wir müssen nur wollen (= Just have to want).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0LbE9w0LU

Muss ich immer alles müssen was ich kann
Eine Hand trägt die Welt und die andere bietet Getränke an?
Ich kann mit allen zehn Füßen in zwanzig Türen
und mit dem elften in der Nase
noch Ballette aufführen
Aber wenn ich könnte wie ich wollte würde ich gar nichts wollen
Ich weiß aber dass alle etwas wollen sollen -

Wir können alles schaffen genau wie die tollen
dressierten Affen wir müssen nur wollen
wir müssen nur wollen wir müssen nur wollen
Wir müssen nur

Muss ich immer alles müssen was ich kann
Eine Hand in den Sternen
die andere im Hintern vom Vordermann?
Das ist das Land der begrenzten Unmöglichkeiten
Wir können Pferde ohne Beine rückwärts reiten
Wir können alles was zu eng ist mit dem Schlagbohrer weiten
Können glücklich sein und trotzdem Konzerne leiten

Wir können alles schaffen genau wie die tollen
dressierten Affen wir müssen nur wollen
wir müssen nur wollen wir müssen nur wollen
Wir müssen nur...
Do I always have to have to everything that I can
One hand carries the world and the other one offers drinks?
I can with every ten feet in twenty doors
And with the eleventh in the nose
Perform ballets
But if I could do as I can I would not want anything at all
But I know that everyone has to want something –

We can do everything just like the great
Trained monkeys we just have to want
We just have to want we just have to want
We just have to

Do I always have to have to everything that I can
One hand in the stars
And the other one in the ass of the man in front?
This is the country of the bordered impossibilities
We can ride horses without legs backwards
We can dilate everything that is too narrow with the percussion drill
We can be happy and nevertheless lead consolidated companies

We can do everything just like the great / mad
Trained monkeys we just have to want
We just have to want we just have to want
We just have to

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 05:12:29 pm »
Anke ...Just for you..  ;D

The one and only MAX RAABE .. 8)
I now have 11 Maxie songs, all thanks to you!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2007, 05:27:24 pm »
"My dear Fräulein! Only 11 songs?"   ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2007, 08:38:17 pm »
"My dear Fräulein! Only 11 songs?"   ;D

If you wish to improve my Raabie collection, you can buy me a proper Maxie CD when we meet ..  :P
(which could be this year, who knows ..  ;))

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2007, 06:04:55 pm »
If you wish to improve my Raabie collection, you can buy me a proper Maxie CD when we meet ..  :P
(which could be this year, who knows ..  ;))

Yeah, Milli!! Come over! I'll pick you up from the airport or the railway station or whereever!  :D

Now, in case some of you American folks are wondering who the f*ck Max Raabe was... He and his fabulous Palastorchester are coming to the United Stated again in Spring. Get tickets!!  :)

03/15/2007   San Francisco     Martin Meyer Sanctuary
03/16/2007   Oakland              Excelsior Center
03/17/2007   San Diego           La Jolla   

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2007, 06:29:12 pm »
Oh, those cities are sooo far away from me!   >:(

Is he planning on coming to Indianapolis, or any cities close to Indianapolis (St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Atlanta, etc)?

I would love to see him in concert.  :)

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2007, 09:14:18 pm »
Has anyone heard Death Cab for Cutie's "I will follow you into the dark"? 

That's a great song.  I listen to that constantly.

Other than that, I'm a die hard Bon Jovi fan so I've been listening to the "Have A Nice Day" CD a lot as well as the Goo Goo Doll's "Let Love In" CD.  As long as these groups keep making music, I'll keep listening to it.  Old habits die hard.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2007, 01:11:07 am »
The singer I'm listening to most on repeat is Amy Winehouse.  Her new CD is called Back To Black, and it's really just amazing.  Her first CD wasn't really heard here in the US, and it was a mix of jazz, R&B and hip hop influences.  This one is more influenced by 60's music, esp. girl group sounds and it's really just beautiful. 

There are two singles, Rehab and You Know I'm No Good, both are great, uptempo songs that are catchy, melodic, and funny, given the subject matter (avoiding going to rehab for alcohol problems, and describing her cheating ways to a lover).  But there are three songs they are just devastating, the title song, Love Is A Losing Game and Wake Up Alone.  So melancholy, soulful, but still weirdly moving and uplifting.  It looks like her record company is going to promote her more this time around, so check her out if you have a chance.

The other CD I'm loving at the moment is Farewell to The World, the final concert by Crowded House from 1996.  Brings back such memories of such a great band.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2007, 09:40:45 am »
Crowded House... Brings back such memories of such a great band.

Juan

Me too Juan. I love Crowded House... brings back memories of good times and special people.

Amy Winehouse is getting lots of airplay over here in the UK - she's got a great voice. So refreshing to hear a great soul voice amongst all the squeaky popsters on the radio.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2007, 02:13:56 pm »
Yeah, Milli!! Come over! I'll pick you up from the airport or the railway station or whereever!  :D

Anke!  I guess I got that Maxie CD sooner than I expected!   :D  Cheers!
About getting together, we'll discuss more on that subject!  8)

Music-wise:

Does anyone else listen to Scottish singer/songwriter KT Tunstall??  :)  She is amazing ..

I love her latest album.. Eye to the Telescope .. check it out people!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Curbside Saints
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 12:47:05 am »
I put this over in my blog, but I'm gonna cross-post it here in the interest of *shameless* promotion:

"So I heard a local band last night and was most impressed!  Curbide Saints is a two-guy operation (Nick and John), and it's amazing to see the energy in their performance.  They're young, talented, and have tons of potential.  Almost all of their material is original.  The acoustics where they were playing were pretty awful, but I still liked what I heard - an interesting and unique sound, a little more metal than I listen to anymore, but the Gaelic/Irish pub seisiún influence comes through loud and clear.

There are three original tracks to download here:

http://www.myspace.com/curbsidesaints

Check them out!"

I saw Nick and John a few nights ago - told them I'd been posting about them.  So, leave a comment and say you heard about them here!  :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2010, 11:31:16 pm »

Anke and Milli, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, when I see Max Raabe in his Boston debut!

It's at the newly renovated Paramount Theatre. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2010, 12:07:34 am »
Oh this will be fun! Let us have your impressions afterwards, friend!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2010, 12:18:15 am »
Wow, Max and the band were in fine form tonight. 

They were the very first performance in the newly opened Paramount Theatre, originally a movie house built in 1932, shuttered for decades.  Now it is restored to high Art Déco splendor, and belongs to Emerson College.

Max and his Palaster Orchester performed "A Night in Berlin" to a full house, of all ages.  Songs from the 1920s and 30s, both in German and in English, some very familiar and some not so.  Max has a voice that evokes early radio, with soaring falsetto, as well as his natural baritone.  Songs were introduced simply with the composer and the year, but sometimes he would add a little patter in his slow, low-register speaking voice.  He takes deadpan to new heights. 

Max was dressed in impeccable tails, slicked hair, high-polished shoes.  Totally in control.  The 12-member band was brilliant and versatile, some playing multiple instruments, some singing.  "Falling in Love Again" (in German) sung in tight harmony with five voices was a standout.  Also, a dramatic "Miss Otis Regrets", and a raucous "Happy Days Are Here Again".  Plus, some Kurt Weill, some pastiche, even Irving  Berlin!

Sadly, no CDs for sale at the show. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2010, 11:27:34 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LsruxOdV04[/youtube]

"Cheek to Cheek"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2010, 11:28:41 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21yzXbPGhWc[/youtube]

"You're the Cream in My Coffee"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2011, 10:38:36 pm »
Let's bump this thread. 

What are you listening to lately?

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2011, 11:14:13 pm »
Let's bump this thread. 

What are you listening to lately?

2 things:

1, Don Pasquale. I have to sing the title role in June. I'm just dusting it off really. I've sung it twice already--once in English, once in Italian. June is Italian again.

2. Country music. I've got 2 country stations on my car radio. So far, I've met 3 of the DJs on the Philly station. 2 of FB friends. I'm thinking about buying tix for either Sugarland or Keith Urban concerts for this summer.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2011, 12:26:22 am »
Been listening a lot ot k.d lang recently. Love her voice

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:23 am »
I love 70s disco and techno and jazz fusion.  I love to work out to 80s dance tunes.  These days my daughter is really practicing her violin and is learning piano.  I'm listening to a lot of live classical music these days.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2011, 07:47:04 am »
Wow, what a great thread!

1, Don Pasquale. I have to sing the title role in June. I'm just dusting it off really. I've sung it twice already--once in English, once in Italian. June is Italian again.

How exciting, Milo!  :)

I love KD's voice too, Buffy.

I love music - anything and everything, every genre.   Right now, I'm on a roots/folk music from different parts of the country thing.   There's so much history and living and soul to it.   Music is like language.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2011, 09:20:17 am »
My current favorite song is "On The Floor" by Jennifer Lopez ft. Pitbull.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2011, 08:07:56 pm »
Ok, I have to say, sometimes Glee exposes me to new music.

shocker, huh?

Allow me to explain...... LOL

A few weeks ago, a Glee episode aired where the cast was (unknowingly) exposed to hecklers in an effort to shake their confidence.

In this scene, Tina is singing a song I've never heard of and actually, I was very angry she didn't get to finish it, she ran from the stage due to the hecklers.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtDG2yKG0l4[/youtube]

I haven't been able to get the song out of my head, and I found it today.  A new song by artist Lykke Li called "I Follow Rivers"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZYbEL06lEU[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2011, 02:09:27 pm »
I have eclectic taste in music - as exemplified by my 2 latest iTunes purchases  :D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ip8OsExLJs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6cMT2HoQg[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 03:01:51 pm »

Shortly, I am going to meet Lynne at Boston's Symphony Hall to hear Max Raabe again! 

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 04:42:26 pm »

I haven't been able to get the song out of my head, and I found it today.  A new song by artist Lykke Li called "I Follow Rivers"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZYbEL06lEU[/youtube]

I just love this video. I think it so beutiful. It is simple and with beutiful nature. I think it is recorded on the island called Gotland, in Sweden.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 01:10:35 am »
Shortly, I am going to meet Lynne at Boston's Symphony Hall to hear Max Raabe again! 

Enjoy!  I loved seeing Max Raabe at Carnegie Hall when Anke visited New York.  He is one kühl katze.   8)  8)  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »
Enjoy!  I loved seeing Max Raabe at Carnegie Hall when Anke visited New York.  He is one kühl katze.   8)  8)  8)

He's still got it!  

On a chilly Boston Sunday afternoon, a concert with Max Raabe was very welcome.  

Boston's Symphony Hall (1900, McKim, Mead and White)
In fact, there were about two dozen young people swing dancing to not-too-loud music outside the entrance to the theatre before the performance.  While waiting for Lynne, I had plenty to look at besides the dancers:  the arriving patrons, many of whom were dressed to the nines!  Lots of cool period dress ('20s - '30s).  

Even though I had just bought them the day before, our seats were wunderschön!  Sixth row orchestra provided good views of gestures and facial expressions.

The show was entitled “One Cannot Kiss Alone”, which turned out to be a reference to the title of a very clever song that Max had written himself, a departure from the usual Weimar-era music he and his band prefer.

The band was in very good form, the acoustics at Symphony Hall being so much better than at the Paramount (where I had heard them two years ago).  Twelve members, each playing more than one instrument, mad a BIG sound!  Very crisp arrangements, alternating between up-tempo and ballad, between English and German.  Even an “oriental fox trot”.  But, as Max told us, “that doesn’t really exist”.  Max was as deadpan as ever.  Example:  “This next song is a German waltz.  It’s not as elegant as a Viennese waltz, but it’s louder.”

Some favorites:  “Night and Day”, “Dream a Little Dream of Me”, “Falling in Love Again” (five men singing in tight harmony, in German), and for an encore “You’re the Cream in My Coffee”.   His version of Lehar’s “Dein ist mein ganzes Herz” reminded us that Max was originally classically trained.  

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »
Thanks for the detailed report, Paul!  I'm so jealous.  I can just hear Max singing those tunes.  It turns out I just missed him here in NYC.  He was at the Metropolitan Museum on Sunday, but I couldn't have gone anyway, as I was working til 8:00.  I'm glad you guys had such a great time.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 06:07:48 pm »
Thanks for the detailed report, Paul!  I'm so jealous.  I can just hear Max singing those tunes.  It turns out I just missed him here in NYC.  He was at the Metropolitan Museum on Sunday, but I couldn't have gone anyway, as I was working til 8:00.  I'm glad you guys had such a great time.  :-*

Too bad, Meryl!  Here's a little treat:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdbGNttzP0I[/youtube]

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 11:38:13 pm »
Too bad, Meryl!  Here's a little treat:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdbGNttzP0I[/youtube]

Aw, adorable!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CellarDweller

"Thriftshop" rapper Macklemore supports gay-marrige, new video "Same Love"
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »
"Thriftshop" rapper Macklemore has a video out to give support to same-sex marriage, called "Same Love". Check it out.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0[/youtube]

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2013, 08:50:42 pm »

Ok, I get that at my age, I'm not supposed to like the 'ex-Disney' performers, but there is
something about this song, I just can't get it out of my head.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8eXaXoUJRQ[/youtube]

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2014, 08:17:08 pm »
I'm totally loving new singer Meghan Trainor.

I'm sure that most of you have heard "All About That Bass" by now.  For those who haven't......Meghan uses "bass" and "treble" as references to being 'bigger' or 'smaller', so when she says she's "All About That Bass", she's talking about her body size.

The song has spent 8 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and the style has been called "Doo Wop Hip Hop". 

Her second single is "Lips Are Movin'", a song about breaking up with a lying man, this week it climbs from #50 to #38 on the Billboard Hot 100.  "All About That Bass" holds at #2 on that same chart.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDc_5zpBj7s[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2014, 08:33:49 pm »
In honor of Thanksgiving:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWe4GpTaO8I[/youtube]

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2014, 09:57:03 pm »
LOL  Paul, I posted that on my FB page earlier today.  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2014, 11:18:37 pm »
Very fun!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2014, 11:06:25 am »
LOL  Paul, I posted that on my FB page earlier today.  :laugh:

LOL Chuck, aren't you proud that I even know that song?  The only reason is, "Base" is the favorite song of my friend's 11-year-old daughter.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2014, 03:16:22 pm »
This new song that you love, Chuck, does it contain a number between 98 and 100?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline dagi

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2015, 04:31:21 pm »
I will check this out later, always looking for good music.

what I'm into these days is for example

'Kitty, Daisy and Lewis' and Lake Street Dive.... not sure who youtube embedding works  :P

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2015, 08:46:39 am »
Right now, i'm playing Madonna's "Rebel Heart" CD over and over.