Author Topic: What is your music lately?  (Read 51351 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: What is your music lately?
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 02:48:03 pm »
and the Arctic Monkeys, too. 

Are the Artic Monkeys big in America? Who would have thought?! Did you know Barb, that the only began playing instruments a few years ago?

Milli - I loovvve Dido too..

Whats' playing in my CD player at the moment?

Scissor Sisters - Tah-Dah
James Morrison - Undiscovered
Take That - Beautiful World
The Magic Numbers - Those The Brokes

Plan to get soon:

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black (I really really like Re-hab)
Razorlight - Razorlight
The Fratellis - Costello Music
Paolo Nutini - These Streets
The Feeling - Twelve Stops And Home (who Becky is obsessed with)
Keane - Under The Iron Sea

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 04:48:10 pm »
Latest purchase was Madonna 'Confessions on a Dancefloor' - just when I was ready to write her off she comes up with this cracking album!

Isn't it great? I think I could listen to it all day, it makes me really happy, especially Jump and Sorry!

I am always listening to Gordon Lightfoot (the golden oldies), Alison Krauss and Bruce Springsteen. Lately I have been listening to:

Snow Patrol (Run and Chasing cars)
The Fray (How to save a life)
Anna Nalick (Breathe)
Jann Arden (Hangin' by a thread)
India.Arie (I am ready for love)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 08:04:22 pm »
Isn't it great? I think I could listen to it all day, it makes me really happy, especially Jump and Sorry!

Oooo, two of my fave tracks! I bought it after hearing Jump on the radio. I also really love 'Push' - groooovy baby!  :D
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 08:38:38 pm »
I was absolutely consumed by Green Day's "American Idiot" CD.  I could not stop listening to it.  From start to finish.

I did this for a while, too! And my son made me an all-Green Day mix that I listened to in between. I like a lot of those songs, but "American Idiot" is definitely their masterpiece.

Then it was on to Soul Asylum. I've been a big Soul Asylum fan for years -- they're from Minneapolis, as I am -- but they just put out their first album in about a decade, "The Silver Lining," and it's great. So this summer, I did a lot of driving alternating between that and the BBM soundtrack.  For some reason, they complemented each other perfectly. In between, I alternated old Soul Asylum CDs, the Lords of Dogtown soundtrack, Garden State soundtrack, Keane, White Stripes, Coldplay, Johnny Cash mixes by my sons and other odds and ends...

And around Christmastime, I bought Lady Sovereign's album, and I've been listening to that pretty constantly since then.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 10:23:49 pm »
I *love* Soul Asylum!  Haven't listened to them in a long time, but "Runaway Train" is my favorite song of theirs - I think I posted its lyrics once on the "Songs that make me think of Brokeback Mountain" thread.  Gotta do it again, just for old time's sake.

;)

Call you up in the middle of the night
Like a firefly without a light
You were there like a slow torch burning
I was a key that could use a little turning

So tired that I couldn't even sleep
So many secrets I couldn't keep
Promised myself I wouldn't weep
One more promise I couldn't keep

It seems no one can help me now
I'm in too deep
There's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray

CHORUS
Runaway train never going back
Wrong way on a one way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here no there

Can you help me remember how to smile
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded
Life's mystery seems so faded

I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train

Everything is cut and dry
Day and night, earth and sky
Somehow I just don't believe it

CHORUS

Bought a ticket for a runaway train
Like a madman laughin' at the rain
Little out of touch, little insane
Just easier than dealing with the pain

Runaway train never comin' back
Runaway train tearin' up the track
Runaway train burnin' in my veins
Runaway but it always seems the same

God.  I adore that song.  Thanks for reminding me of it, Katherine.

And I agree - "American Idiot" is Green Day's masterpiece.  What still slays me to this day when I listen to it is how "Jesus of Suburbia" and "St. Jimmy" are each five great songs all rolled up in one.  Some bands work for decades trying to make just one song as good as any of those 10.  And those 10 comprise only about 1/5 of the entire album!

I'm particularly partial these days to "Novacaine" and "Whats-Her-Name," but it's all brilliant.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 03:23:41 am »
I *love* Soul Asylum!

I am so excited to know of another Soul Asylum fan! Let me highly recommend their new CD. And "Grave Dancers Union," the CD with the song you quoted, is also wonderful. I quoted a song from it ("Without a Trace") in a magazine essay once.

I'm particularly partial these days to "Novacaine" and "Whats-Her-Name," but it's all brilliant.

Yes, they are amazing. For me it would "Holiday," "Jesus" and "Novocaine" (the lyrics to "Novocaine" remind me a little of BBM obsession, in fact). But there's no song on the whole CD that I don't like.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 03:31:55 am »
You all are making me feel like an old fart.  :( ...  :)

I'm only 44 ya'll.

I haven't heard of most of these groups you all are talking about. I do like Green Day however. And I love their song "American Idiot".

Living in the Midwest, I grew up listening to Country music. I love Lonestar, Alan Jackson, Sara Evans, etc...

I also love the old groups I grew up listening to like The Eagles, Boston, Kiss, Styx, The Beegees, Village People, Kansas and Chicago.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 03:57:19 am »
David~
Your not an old fart!    44 is a great age!    40's is "the old age of youth and the youth of of old age".   I happen to believe men and woman in their forties  and fifties  are at thier sexiest. Their peak!   Just because you love country and western has nothing to do with age  . it's a matter of taste.   You have good taste right now. You have earned it!   I love country and Western too right now   .Plus  I love classic rock, Elton John James taylor, I love Stevie Nicks. Beatles. Stones. I have a couple Geenday songs I like. I'm 38.  I  D-J and guess what, Most of the request i get at the peak of ther night are for Garth Brooks  ZZ Top, , Bachman Turner Overdrive, Charlie Daniels, and believe it or not Hank Williams Jr.!!   Alot of Country Rock fans out there still.  And the big shock is ,  alot of the request come from kids in their twenties!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 02:24:19 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 09:03:04 am »
I love Stevie Nicks. Beatles. Stones.

Geri, you talking about old Steamy Nicks has made me put on Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours', which I haven't listened to in eons. WHAT an album!! I'd forgotten how effen great it is!! :D

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 10:45:47 am »
David, I love Styx - especially their older stuff like "Crystal Ball," "Suite Madame Blue," and "Fooling Yourself."  I got to go backstage at one of their more recent concerts (it was in 2000, I think).  I didn't get to meet Dennis DeYoung since he no longer tours with them, but I did get to meet most of the rest of them.  Nice guys.  All in their 50s and 60s but actually well enough "preserved" that you'd think they were more like 40-something.  They've all quit smoking and drinking, so they haven't aged so badly as a lot of their peers.  Steve Walsh (of Kansas) looks like hell these days, but he can still belt out a song - I'll give him that.

Here's a little something for all you classic rock and country music lovers to enjoy - funny stuff from a guy who can do singing impressions of just about anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW_EaGdpf4U

No more beans!