Author Topic: What is your music lately?  (Read 51442 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What is your music lately?
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:23 am »
I love 70s disco and techno and jazz fusion.  I love to work out to 80s dance tunes.  These days my daughter is really practicing her violin and is learning piano.  I'm listening to a lot of live classical music these days.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2011, 07:47:04 am »
Wow, what a great thread!

1, Don Pasquale. I have to sing the title role in June. I'm just dusting it off really. I've sung it twice already--once in English, once in Italian. June is Italian again.

How exciting, Milo!  :)

I love KD's voice too, Buffy.

I love music - anything and everything, every genre.   Right now, I'm on a roots/folk music from different parts of the country thing.   There's so much history and living and soul to it.   Music is like language.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2011, 09:20:17 am »
My current favorite song is "On The Floor" by Jennifer Lopez ft. Pitbull.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2011, 08:07:56 pm »
Ok, I have to say, sometimes Glee exposes me to new music.

shocker, huh?

Allow me to explain...... LOL

A few weeks ago, a Glee episode aired where the cast was (unknowingly) exposed to hecklers in an effort to shake their confidence.

In this scene, Tina is singing a song I've never heard of and actually, I was very angry she didn't get to finish it, she ran from the stage due to the hecklers.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtDG2yKG0l4[/youtube]

I haven't been able to get the song out of my head, and I found it today.  A new song by artist Lykke Li called "I Follow Rivers"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZYbEL06lEU[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2011, 02:09:27 pm »
I have eclectic taste in music - as exemplified by my 2 latest iTunes purchases  :D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ip8OsExLJs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6cMT2HoQg[/youtube]
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 03:01:51 pm »

Shortly, I am going to meet Lynne at Boston's Symphony Hall to hear Max Raabe again! 

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 04:42:26 pm »

I haven't been able to get the song out of my head, and I found it today.  A new song by artist Lykke Li called "I Follow Rivers"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZYbEL06lEU[/youtube]

I just love this video. I think it so beutiful. It is simple and with beutiful nature. I think it is recorded on the island called Gotland, in Sweden.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 01:10:35 am »
Shortly, I am going to meet Lynne at Boston's Symphony Hall to hear Max Raabe again! 

Enjoy!  I loved seeing Max Raabe at Carnegie Hall when Anke visited New York.  He is one kühl katze.   8)  8)  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »
Enjoy!  I loved seeing Max Raabe at Carnegie Hall when Anke visited New York.  He is one kühl katze.   8)  8)  8)

He's still got it!  

On a chilly Boston Sunday afternoon, a concert with Max Raabe was very welcome.  

Boston's Symphony Hall (1900, McKim, Mead and White)
In fact, there were about two dozen young people swing dancing to not-too-loud music outside the entrance to the theatre before the performance.  While waiting for Lynne, I had plenty to look at besides the dancers:  the arriving patrons, many of whom were dressed to the nines!  Lots of cool period dress ('20s - '30s).  

Even though I had just bought them the day before, our seats were wunderschön!  Sixth row orchestra provided good views of gestures and facial expressions.

The show was entitled “One Cannot Kiss Alone”, which turned out to be a reference to the title of a very clever song that Max had written himself, a departure from the usual Weimar-era music he and his band prefer.

The band was in very good form, the acoustics at Symphony Hall being so much better than at the Paramount (where I had heard them two years ago).  Twelve members, each playing more than one instrument, mad a BIG sound!  Very crisp arrangements, alternating between up-tempo and ballad, between English and German.  Even an “oriental fox trot”.  But, as Max told us, “that doesn’t really exist”.  Max was as deadpan as ever.  Example:  “This next song is a German waltz.  It’s not as elegant as a Viennese waltz, but it’s louder.”

Some favorites:  “Night and Day”, “Dream a Little Dream of Me”, “Falling in Love Again” (five men singing in tight harmony, in German), and for an encore “You’re the Cream in My Coffee”.   His version of Lehar’s “Dein ist mein ganzes Herz” reminded us that Max was originally classically trained.  

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »
Thanks for the detailed report, Paul!  I'm so jealous.  I can just hear Max singing those tunes.  It turns out I just missed him here in NYC.  He was at the Metropolitan Museum on Sunday, but I couldn't have gone anyway, as I was working til 8:00.  I'm glad you guys had such a great time.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...