Author Topic: New thread:- What do you think of Jake Gyllenhaal's comment re worried about . .  (Read 6646 times)

squashcourt

OK, fine people -

What is your reaction on Jake Gyllenhaal's comment about being worried that the love scene (second tent scene) is too authentic.  Jake sort of blushed with this mention . . . looks very authentic to me.  Good for you Jake!  "ain't no reins on this one". ;)

Pierre -  :)

P.S. Comment is from the Bonus Features selection.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Well, I remember a really nice interview with Heath where he talked about how important he felt the second tent scene is to the film.  I think he said it established the "freedom" of Brokeback... or maybe the sense of a free place where Ennis could allow his own emotions/ sexuality more space and open expression.  The intimacy of TS2 may be a bit at odds with some of Proulx's characterization of how the summer went for the boys, but I agree with Heath that for the film (as its own thing) it establishes the romance.  It completely draws the audience into the romance between Ennis and Jack and helps make the rest of their relationship seem really intense.  Other than the "happy tussle," the reunion kiss and the pretty chaste afterglow in the motel, we don't see much in the way of physical affection after this.  I think TS2 is vital to the continued sense (that I think we all carry) that the love between Jack and Ennis was overwhelming to both of them and based equally on both emotion and physical need.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:32:08 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline jakefan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
This is very interesting...I've watched the bonus features, but I didn't notice that Jakey was blushing.  I must watch it again.  I have absolutely no idea what to think.  I agree that TS2 establishes the romance for Jack and Ennis and that it looks authentic.  I am so glad that this scene is in the movie and that they added to the screenplay in a later draft. 

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
The more I've watched TS2, the more I realize what giant steps they were for Ennis, to walk from the campfire to the tent.......in those steps, he was probably the most open he had ever been in his life, because it was completely up to him to either, go there or stay away, it wasnt alcohol induced and there was no pressure from Jack to get in there....it was completely his choice and decision.

I think too, that Jack knew that if Ennis joined him in the tent that night, that if there was no doubt that Ennis felt the same way as he did, and he too, could be completely open with what he said and did.

Even though Ennis was a little shy at the beginning, he was also ready to love Jack, and when Jack said "T's Awright", he was saying to Ennis, "what you are feeling is ok".....

TS2 is probably one of the most intimate love scenes I have ever seen, to watch the abondonment disappear and to see them both, with identical emotions, needs and wants, was so beautiful....I just wish, as I'm sure most of us did, that it had shown more of how the encounter went thru the night......My imagination on that, involves relating the kiss from the reunion scene, and I would love to think that thoughout the night they had many kisses like that one.

Authentic  ??.......as a female heterosexual, I could only guess on the answer to that one, but if "authentic" means, showing the beginning and an uninhibited love between two people, then Jake sure was right, when he said it was "authentic", as far as being too authentic....maybe he meant by that, that it looks like he has done it before, and he didnt need acting classes to help him authenticise the scene....my thought on that to Jake would be, that anyone who has loved anyone could feel, and empathise with the characters in that situation.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Hi,

Such a great descripton of TS2, which being new here I am so interested in reading.

I have been watching it over and over and over,

The thing I am trying to understand is why?

I think it is the most beatiful and heartbreaking and emotional minutes of film ever.

But what do we hope to find with each viewing? or is it just to see it again?

because it is so beautiful.....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
I hope this works - it's someone's signature picture at JW.  I could look at it all day (and practically have).

No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
It's so beautiful to me because I think real love is best (perhaps only) expressed with the eyes and the hands.  The way they look at each other and touch each other's faces is about the most erotic thing I've ever seen.  It pulls at my heart every time I watch it.  Really, the same goes for TS1 and the Reunion - their eyes and hands are very similar in all three scenes.  But TS2 is special because it's where Ennis first really lets go and is truly intimate with Jack.

No more beans!

Offline Katie77

But what do we hope to find with each viewing? or is it just to see it again?

because it is so beautiful.....

I think I see something more everytime I see it......when I think of how, the first time I watched it at the theatre, I practically had my hands over my eyes in the tent scenes, compared to now, when I grasp every hand movement, every eye movement, every sigh, and I must admit, watching it for the "lost count" time the other day, I only then first heard Jack say "'its awright"...

I know, after reading new comments and posts on here, I need to re see it, to see it thru the eyes of whoever wrote the post, and see if I see the same thing...

I watch the reunion scene over and over again, and still see new facial expressions on Jack and Ennis....

Never enough.........cant never see this movie enough.........

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Yeah, I've always thought he meant that he was trying to make them authentic too. I wonder what he means by "authentic".
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

“authentic”: demonstrating honest-to-goodness, convincing chemistry?

Gyllenhaal says he and Ledger laughed and joked knowing eventually they’d have to shoot the love scenes. But, one thing they didn’t do was rehearse. That’s so it would be as new for them as it was for their characters. (WQAD.com)
---

Wow.......how brave they were, and it sure worked like they wanted it to....

Thanks for those quotes goadra, I all ready knew what great blokes Jake and Heath were, this has just confirmed it...