Author Topic: Did anybody else... (Golden Globes thoughts)  (Read 5771 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Did anybody else... (Golden Globes thoughts)
« on: January 16, 2007, 01:21:24 pm »
...watch the Golden Globe Awards last night, and when Forest Whitaker won for "The Last King of Scotland" and the audience gave him a standing ovation think to him or herself, "That should have been Heath last year"?  i.e., Heath should have won *and* gotten a standing ovation.

Or was that just me?

No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Did anybody else... (Golden Globes thoughts)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »
At least the golden globes last year had the good sense to award BBM the best motion picture award (drama) as well as best director, song, and screenplay. But, it goes without saying that I'd have loved to see Heath win too.  This thread caused me to do one of my favorite things!  I went back to imdb and looked up the list of BBM's awards and noms!  Amazing.  I always draw courage from this little factoid.

"Won 3 Oscars. Another 73 wins & 60 nominations" 

I remember really enjoying watching the golden globes last year (and of course it got me extra excited about the silly old Oscars).  Wasn't that the award ceremony where Lee received the best director award from Clint Eastwood?  I know it happened somewhere at some award show.  I just loved that.

So, I'm not really mad at the golden globes (and therefore allowed myself to watch last night).  Actually I only watched up until Jake presented and then I got bored.  Jake was good, but he honestly didn't seem too enthusiastic.

Anyway, I will be boycotting the Oscars this year.  No way will I be watching.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:38:46 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:52:22 pm »
I seem to recall a to-do in Hollywood last year over the fact that Mr. Gyllenhaal did not attend the Golden Globes; many thought he was in a bit of a snit. The Brokeback powers tried to explain that, since he hadn’t been nominated for an award, there was no reason for him to go.

Hunh.  Interesting.  Did anyone else get the sense last night that Jake was just sort of going through the motions?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 11:27:45 pm »
...watch the Golden Globe Awards last night, and when Forest Whitaker won for "The Last King of Scotland" and the audience gave him a standing ovation think to him or herself, "That should have been Heath last year"?  i.e., Heath should have won *and* gotten a standing ovation.

Or was that just me?

I thought to myself "He's this year's Philip Seymour Hoffman" and sent a sympathetic thought out to Heath.  Then I thought, "You know, Heath is probably ever so happy he doesn't have to be there tonight presenting that award!" 

There's a silver lining to everything. ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 01:04:04 pm »
Hunh.  Interesting.  Did anyone else get the sense last night that Jake was just sort of going through the motions?

I TOTALLY did, Amanda.  I was trying to figure out if there was some bad blood there or if he just was so exhausted from the whole SNL thing.  He really seemed kind of out of it for him.  If it had been anyone else, I wouldn't have thought twice.  But he's ususally so *on* and polished and electric at these things, it was a striking contrast.

I didn't hear anything about him being in a snit and not attending for that reason last year.  The way I heard it was that he was simply not invited, and when someone or other associated with the movie was asked if he/they were upset about that, their reply was what was posted - that it was no big deal to him/them - that since he was not nominated, there was really no reason for him to attend anyway.  (I don't think Anne Hathaway was there, either - I think she only went to the SAG Awards, at which she was nominated as part of the ensemble.)  I don't remember it being said in a sour-grapes-ish sort of way - just kind of matter-of-factly.

And Amanda, I'm with you, baby.  You couldn't pay me to watch the Oscars this year.  People who know what an Oscar aficionado I (like to think I) am are astonished at this - even those who saw and liked the movie and thought it should have won.  They say "You're still not over that?"  And I say, "Honey, I'll never be over that."  They think I'm nuts but I don't care.  There is thankfully one other person I know personally who understands and is not planning to watch it, either.  But everyone else thinks I'm goofy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:31:31 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 01:14:09 pm »
I thought to myself "He's this year's Philip Seymour Hoffman" and sent a sympathetic thought out to Heath.

You know, it's funny.  I think of him as this year's Heath Ledger in the sense of what Heath Ledger should have been last year.  He should have been the juggernaut - and at the very beginning of the season, it seemed like he would be.  But you know what - I don't blame Phillip Seymour Hoffman specifically for that - I blame our stupid society.  I really believe that had PSH not been in the running with that performance, they would have picked David Straithairn instead.  Heath not winning was totally about not wanting to reward someone for f***ing with our precious American cowboy icon.  I really believe that.  And the Academy aren't the only ones, in this case, who are guilty of it.  The truth is our society likes their gay men to be prancing queens like Truman Capote and Jack on Will & Grace and Harvey Fierstein and Carson Kressley.  That's the societally acceptable way to be gay in this country.  Our society is a long way away from ever accepting that there are all kinds of gay men, just as there are all kinds of straight men.  If the movie had simply been about a platonic friendship (as much as I hate to make that analogy) a la "The Shawshank Redemption" he'd have had a better shot.  Just goes to show you, I guess, how really meaningless all these awards are, after all.

I think Forest Whitaker actually deserves to be the juggernaut this year because his performance is in fact legendary, i.e., better than Hoffman's by a country mile.  He didn't do a parlor trick impression of Idi Amin - he became him.  And I don't care what anyone says - Hoffman never became Capote to me - I could see him acting the whole time.  Ruined an otherwise excellent movie for me, in fact.  And I actually liked him a lot going into it.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 02:05:17 pm »
The truth is our society likes their gay men to be prancing queens like Truman Capote and Jack on Will & Grace and Harvey Fierstein and Carson Kressley.  That's the societally acceptable way to be gay in this country.  Our society is a long way away from ever accepting that there are all kinds of gay men, just as there are all kinds of straight men.

Interesting point, Barb. It made me wonder if one reason (among many, probably) that stereotypes about gay people persist is that society wants to be able to distinguish easily between gay and straight people. If someone is black or Latino or whatever, stereotypes may linger in people's minds but they don't have to be played out onscreen (though they sometimes are, too), because it's easy for people to see the differences and do the profiling on their own. But they can't do that with ordinary looking men and women, and it makes the homophobes uncomfortable. They need a way to be able to instantly tell the difference.

That would help explain why the gay cowboys in the SNL audience were the way they were. If they just looked like ordinary cowboys, it's assumed that nobody would get the joke.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 02:35:27 pm »
Yep - the SNL bit is case in point.

So is the Espys debacle, come to think of it.  They had to make a tasteless joke about the character Jake played liking it 'in the rear' so no one in their excruciatingly homophobic audience would be uncomfortable with the idea of someone who is not a prancing queen being/playing gay.  Is that a stretch?  Unfortunately, I think not.

And not that there's anything wrong with being a prancing queen.  Some of my best friends are.  ;)

But society is definitely more comfortable with you if you are one than if you're openly (or even possibly) gay and you aren't.

It goes without saying, but God, I hate our society sometimes.  OK, most of the time.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 04:59:14 pm »

They need a way to be able to instantly tell the difference.

Hunh.  Yeah, that makes sense.

Re Heath not presenting at the GG.  I watched it, and wondered/assumed that he was not asked.  He may not be asked to present much at upcoming awards shows, based on his behavior at a couple of them last year.

Agreed that Jake did not look sparkly.  I noted though, that some others also didn't.  Will Ferrell looked downright dour when they showed him in his seat during his best actor nomination announcement.
Made me wonder if something was going on there that was worrying them. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 05:56:21 pm »
Yeah, Elle.  A lot of them there seemed quite subdued to me, too.  Will Ferrell was one.  Felicity Huffman was another.  Both are usually pretty effervescent at these things.

Maggie and Peter looked sparkly, though.  I was annoyed that they didn't show them more often and that they never showed Jake in the audience.  I assume he would have been sitting with them?  I think there might be bad blood there after all in the latter case.  I mean, he agreed to present, didn't he?  So I don't see why they never bothered to show him, unless he hung out backstage the whole time.  I said to Ed afterwards when he asked me how it was, "It was a pretty random fiesta."  (Cookie to the first one who can name the movie that's said in.)
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 06:32:04 am »

I said to Ed afterwards when he asked me how it was, "It was a pretty random fiesta."  (Cookie to the first one who can name the movie that's said in.)

Well, I tried to earn that cookie by Googling the phrase.  I didn't find it associated with a movie, but discovered a lot of people use it, though I never heard it til now.  :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 03:56:24 pm »
Ah, goadra wins the cookie!  It was in fact "Clueless," spoken by a character named Summer at the end of a valley ("val") party.  Do you prefer Tollhouse or oatmeal raisin?  :)

And that's a good point about the military.  Scary, too, but it doesn't surprise me a bit.

No more beans!