Author Topic: Another clothing question......  (Read 12105 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Another clothing question......
« on: January 17, 2007, 05:50:47 pm »
Hi you all,

With all the coat and hat discussion, there is another thing that I have noticed, actually on my 2nd or third viewing and I haven't seen anything on it.

On BBM, I have noticed that there are two scenes in which Ennis is wearing a yellow rain jacket.  The first time is when he was gathering the cans and stuff and Jack said 'no more beans' and the second time is when they were down from the mountain and leaning against the fence watching the sheep and Aquirre said 'ranch hands are never any good'.  That was especially odd because he wasn't wearing it down the mountain and he wasn't wearing it at the truck.  Also the collar of the tan coat is visible under the raincoat.

Where did Ennis get the rain jacket from, it wasn't in the bag, and I don't think it came with the supplies, so could it have been Jacks?  It just is odd that he was wearing it in only those two scenes.  I am wondering if it was supposed to signifiy something but what. I have been wondering where he got it from.  (yeah I guess the costume person, but I don't want to think about them>)

Oh yeah,  also how did they get the little table to the campsite,  was it there already?

Just wondering.....

squashcourt

Re: Another clothing question......
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 06:19:06 pm »
Hi there,

The scene at the camp was shot on a rainy day (looks like) so, most likely, it was just handed to Ennis by one of the crew so Ennis just held on to it. 

What I would like to know is how did the old GMC pick-up driven by Jack when he first barely made it to Aguirre trailer at the beginning of the movie end up with Ennis?  Remember the second meeting after 4 years! 

Pierre -  ???

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 06:34:37 pm »
Hi,

Is it the same truck or did E. just get one like J's truck?

The scene at the camp was shot on a rainy day (looks like) so, most likely, it was just handed to Ennis by one of the crew so Ennis just held on to it. 

You could be right, the rain coat might have been just handed to Heath cause it was raining, and they left it in those scenes,

And I was thinking (hoping) there was a deep significance to it.....

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 06:44:38 pm »
The GMC trucks that Enns and Jack had are different. Jacks was a 1949 to 1952 in black and Ennis's was a 1955 to 1957 in mostly blue. Both except fot the engines and grilles, etc, were the same as corresponding Chevrolet truck but much less common.

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:23:34 pm »
 :laugh:

That's me, laughing at myself because of all the times I've watched this film--I quit counting after the first time I watched the DVD--and it never registered on me that we see Ennis wearing that yellow slicker on the mountain. I only noticed it at the sheep pens after they brought 'em down.

I guess it must have been Jack's because it surely wasn't in that paper bag Ennis was carrying. As small as that bag was rolled up, I have to wonder if there was anything in it except his other shirt--and maybe a pair of socks. I mean, did that poor kid even own a second pair of jeans?  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 07:24:16 pm »
I thought the rain slicker would be part of the gear supplied by Aguirre's company.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 07:30:48 pm »
Yeah that is what made me wonder about it.  I  mean the rain jacket could not have been it the bag, it would have been too big, and I don't think Aguirre provided it because I can't see him as being so thoughtful to supply it to the boys.

I also wonder about the bag, was there even a toothbrush in it?  I do tend to think that Ennis only had one pair of jeans though.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 07:48:27 pm »
I do tend to think that Ennis only had one pair of jeans though.

But then he, too, would have had to do the laundry in the river naked and then walk around naked for hours, waiting for the jeans to dry ...

:o   :-*   ;D  ;)

I don't think we're supposed to pay much attention to that kind of detail. Too distracting!  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 07:57:29 pm »
But then he, too, would have had to do the laundry in the river naked and then walk around naked for hours, waiting for the jeans to dry ...

:o   :-*   ;D  ;)

I don't think we're supposed to pay much attention to that kind of detail. Too distracting!  ::)

I wonder why it never really sank in for me until this past Sunday night's viewing, but Ennis keeps his hat on to take a bath. I mean, the guy is stark naked, but he keeps his hat on!  :laugh:

(Actually, I think I do know why it didn't sink in. In that sequence I've always concentrated on watching for Jack's little jaw twitch.  ;D)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 08:00:55 pm »

(Actually, I think I do know why it didn't sink in. In that sequence I've always concentrated on watching for Jack's little jaw twitch.  ;D)
And Jack keeps his boots on.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.