Author Topic: Another clothing question......  (Read 12144 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Another clothing question......
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 08:02:40 pm »
HI,

But then he, too, would have had to do the laundry in the river naked and then walk around naked for hours, waiting for the jeans to dry ...

:o   :-*   ;D  ;)

Hi,

Yeah I have been wondering about that too.....since Jack had to  wait till his clothes to drued then how long was it till  he went up the mountain to meet Ennis when he was all dressed in dry clothes again.  I can't imagine that the clothes dried too fast on the chilly, cloudy mountain, so maybe it had to be a few days later?

I have been wondering and trying to figure all these things out too.. ;D

And I wondered about the hat too, I noticed that right away.  Why does he keep it on? ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 08:12:45 pm »
Okay, let me try to tackle these things... Ennis only had one pair of jeans. That's why he so carefully rolls up his jeans before stepping into the stream to clean the coffeepot. Ennis took off his boots, because he likes having bare feet (and putting them up on the coffee table while watching TV). Ennis washes with his hat on because he wants to keep his hat clean and there is no hat hanger on the mountain. Jack washes with his boots on because he has sensitive feet. Also, his boots have holes in them so they dry fast. Jack washes naked not because he has no other clothes but because he likes being naked. Jack is washing all the extra shirts because he used them to clean up the bedroll after that first nite in the tent. Whew! Any other questions?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 08:29:25 pm »
Okay, let me try to tackle these things... Ennis only had one pair of jeans. That's why he so carefully rolls up his jeans before stepping into the stream to clean the coffeepot. Ennis took off his boots, because he likes having bare feet (and putting them up on the coffee table while watching TV). Ennis washes with his hat on because he wants to keep his hat clean and there is no hat hanger on the mountain. Jack washes with his boots on because he has sensitive feet. Also, his boots have holes in them so they dry fast. Jack washes naked not because he has no other clothes but because he likes being naked. Jack is washing all the extra shirts because he used them to clean up the bedroll after that first nite in the tent. Whew! Any other questions? 

Wow  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  But how about the rain jacket?  ;D

P.S.  I thought BBM was supposed to be so sad, I am laughing harder than I have in a year.!!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 08:33:15 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 08:35:16 pm »

I don't think we're supposed to pay much attention to that kind of detail. Too distracting!  ::)

Katherine, I don't know what to say....we're not..supposed..to notice..that kind of..detail?

THUD!

:)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 10:03:19 pm »
Wow  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  But how about the rain jacket?  ;D

P.S.  I thought BBM was supposed to be so sad, I am laughing harder than I have in a year.!!

Yes, I must admit, I'm having a laugh at this thread too, not that it all doesnt make sense, and the questions are all valid, but it is funny reading all the posts..

Must admit, I wondered what Ennis had in the bag, and in the beginning it looked like a paper bag to me, but when he was looking for his shirt, when they came down from the mountain, it looked like a material one.

Something else, that always catches my eye....in one of the campfire scenes, Jack goes to put his booted foot on a rock in the fire, but it keeps slipping off into the actual flames, where he ends up leaving it there.....now that sure would have got hot very quickly....anyone else notice what I'm talking about?
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 10:17:56 pm »
Yeah I have been wondering about that too.....since Jack had to  wait till his clothes to drued then how long was it till  he went up the mountain to meet Ennis when he was all dressed in dry clothes again.  I can't imagine that the clothes dried too fast on the chilly, cloudy mountain, so maybe it had to be a few days later?

Actually, seriously, you do touch on something here that others of us have wondered and speculated about: the passage of time between their first time in the tent, the "I'm not queer" conversation, and the second time that we see them in the tent.

It's tempting to assume the second tent scene took place on the evening of the day of the "I'm not queer" conversation--and maybe we're supposed to assume those two events took place on the same day--but when they have that conversation, it looks like a very dreary and cold and probably damp afternoon--they both have their gloves on, and Jack has that fleece-lined jacket of his buttoned up to his chin.

But the night of the second tent scene, it looks to me like the weather is downright warm. Jack is shirtless in the tent, and Ennis is out by the fire without his coat. It can't just be that the fire is warm enough; they have a fire the night of the first tent scene, but before they try to sleep, they're all bundled up. Ennis has his coat on, and Jack's wearing his jacket even in the bedroll.

Maybe the weather just changes awful quick up there on Brokeback.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 10:22:55 pm »

But the night of the second tent scene, it looks to me like the weather is downright warm. Jack is shirtless in the tent, and Ennis is out by the fire without his coat. It can't just be that the fire is warm enough; they have a fire the night of the first tent scene, but before they try to sleep, they're all bundled up. Ennis has his coat on, and Jack's wearing his jacket even in the bedroll.

Guess they were just so damn HOT for each other, that the weather didnt bother 'em...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 10:26:34 pm »
Actually, seriously, you do touch on something here that others of us have wondered and speculated about: the passage of time between their first time in the tent, the "I'm not queer" conversation, and the second time that we see them in the tent.

It's tempting to assume the second tent scene took place on the evening of the day of the "I'm not queer" conversation--and maybe we're supposed to assume those two events took place on the same day--but when they have that conversation, it looks like a very dreary and cold and probably damp afternoon--they both have their gloves on, and Jack has that fleece-lined jacket of his buttoned up to his chin.

Your right, I truy wonder what happened between 'me neither' and TS2, I didnt think of a time lapse there but it makes sense there would be like you said.  I also wonder how they acted with each other and what they said,, but I imagine that they couldn't speak...

Also between TS1 and 'I aint queer'  Ennis had to kill the coyote and get the tail hanging up, that's a lot to happen in one day,  I like to think that maybe Ennis was up there for a couple of days, just brooding and thinking, and that is why Jack went up to him, because he couldn't wait longer to find out what Ennis was thinking afterwaiting for several days....

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 10:28:03 pm »
Guess they were just so damn HOT for each other, that the weather didnt bother 'em...

This could be true too   :D :D

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 10:31:43 pm »

Also between TS1 and 'I aint queer'  Ennis had to kill the coyote and get the tail hanging up, that's a lot to happen in one day,  I like to think that maybe Ennis was up there for a couple of days, just brooding and thinking, and that is why Jack went up to him, because he couldn't wait longer to find out what Ennis was thinking afterwaiting for several days....
Ennis killed the coyote much earlier, perhaps it was the one he spoke of when he began to wash up.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.