Author Topic: Another clothing question......  (Read 12174 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Another clothing question......
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 10:40:24 pm »

Your right, I truy wonder what happened between 'me neither' and TS2, I didnt think of a time lapse there but it makes sense there would be like you said.  I also wonder how they acted with each other and what they said,, but I imagine that they couldn't speak...

Also between TS1 and 'I aint queer'  Ennis had to kill the coyote and get the tail hanging up, that's a lot to happen in one day,  I like to think that maybe Ennis was up there for a couple of days, just brooding and thinking, and that is why Jack went up to him, because he couldn't wait longer to find out what Ennis was thinking afterwaiting for several days....

From what you say here, "jack went up to him", that TS2 happened up with the sheep.....I always assumed it happened in the camp, and I always assumed it happened the same night as the "I aint queer" which was the day after TS1....

Ennis couldn't have stayed up with the sheep for a couple of days, because he wouldn't have had any food...(unless he ate that poor sheep that was bludgeoned by the coyote)....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 10:45:13 pm »
TS2 definitly happened at camp, Ennis is sitting on the log seen earlier being hauled by Jack when setting up at camp.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 11:00:08 pm »
Yes I am talking about after Ennis saw the dead sheep, then we see Jack washing, then there is a quick shot of a coyote, I think, then the  field sheep with a stick and a tail hanging off it in the foreground in front of all the sheep  Then we see Jack kinda reclining and Ennis walks up to him holding the gun and  then sits down and says "you know, its a one shot thing" 

IMO Ennis killls the coyote that killed the the sheep , and then Jack comes up the mountain because when he is there and waitng for Ennis  you can hear the sheep.

Then they go back down the mountain to the camp and TS2.

The shot of the coyote after the dead sheep before we see Jack is very very quick, I had to watch many many times to see that it was a coyote, I think at least it was one.

Didn't mean not to be clear.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 11:24:52 pm by marlb42 »

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 12:03:48 am »
Must admit, I wondered what Ennis had in the bag, and in the beginning it looked like a paper bag to me, but when he was looking for his shirt, when they came down from the mountain, it looked like a material one.

I think he got this from the supply guy. It make sense that he wouldn't have a paper bag handy when coming off the mountain -- his original one would be demolished by then, and he hadn't been to the grocery store. But also, I think the filmmakers wanted to differentiate, so that the only times Ennis is seen carrying a paper bag holding two shirts is at the very beginning and the very end.

(Which also explains the puzzling lack of spare jeans and rain slicker in his original bag.)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 06:22:47 am »
I have always thought Ennis kills two coyotes: the one with balls the size of apples, and the one that killed the sheep while Ennis was having TS1 with Jack.

Why Ennis was hammerin' the first night, but then jacketless the second: By the time he crawls into the tent for TS1, it's very, very late at night, he's been sleeping directly on the ground, with no fire.  The very next night, for TS2, I picture that they are going to bed basically directly after dinner.  He's been sitting up off the ground by a warm fire, and the sun has only been set for a while.  And they are highly motivated to be wearing as little as possible.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 09:53:40 am »
I have always thought Ennis kills two coyotes: the one with balls the size of apples, and the one that killed the sheep while Ennis was having TS1 with Jack.

I wonder if the one with balls the size of apples was the one Jack missed?  ;D

Why Ennis was hammerin' the first night, but then jacketless the second: By the time he crawls into the tent for TS1, it's very, very late at night, he's been sleeping directly on the ground, with no fire.  The very next night, for TS2, I picture that they are going to bed basically directly after dinner.  He's been sitting up off the ground by a warm fire, and the sun has only been set for a while.  And they are highly motivated to be wearing as little as possible.

Sounds reasonable, though I wonder about Jack sleeping in his coat the night of TS1 and not even wearing a shirt at the beginning of TS2.

Somewhere I picked up the notion that the sack Ennis is rooting through, looking for his shirt as they stand by Jack's pickup, was an old feed bag. I guess I ought to check the story, or the screen play.

And of course, as Katherine suggests, the paper bag Ennis carries at the beginning "bookends" the paper bag Jack's mother gives him for the shirts. To be completely honest, though, I've always felt that bag that Heath carries at the beginning is unrealistically small--can't be more in it than a rolled up shirt and a tootbrush--and I find it difficult to believe that anybody is that poor. Heck, homeless people on the streets of Philadelphia drag more stuff around with them than Ennis has when he gets out of that cattle truck.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 01:08:43 pm »
. Heck, homeless people on the streets of Philadelphia drag more stuff around with them than Ennis has when he gets out of that cattle truck.  :-\

Ang Lee probably didn't think it would be as poignant an image to show Ennis pushing a grocery cart up the street.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 01:16:10 pm »
Ang Lee probably didn't think it would be as poignant an image to show Ennis pushing a grocery cart up the street.

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 04:39:33 pm »

Sounds reasonable, though I wonder about Jack sleeping in his coat the night of TS1 and not even wearing a shirt at the beginning of TS2.

Same reasoning - it's freezing during TS1, and he's thinking that Ennis's company is unlikely.   For TS2, he knows Ennis is out there pondering the "should I or shouldn't I" of going in.  So he's ready, in case.  Hopeful.

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 09:48:04 am »

:laugh: :laugh:

Paperbag: the screenplay says: 'just a grocery sack stuffed with his only other shirt and a pair of Levi's

As for the time elapsed between TS1 and TS2 : very interesting Marlb about Jack having to wait for his clothes to dry before going up there. Ennis could not have stayed up there for a long time without food, but it is quite possible that he did not come down the night after TS1 and that Jack joined him the next day.