Author Topic: Fierce Storm Batters Europe  (Read 8111 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Fierce Storm Batters Europe
« on: January 18, 2007, 03:11:30 pm »
This is absolutely terrible! I hope all of our European Bettermost friends are okay. Please check in and let us know...

:'(  :(  :'(  :(

(From the CNN Web site)

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- One of the fiercest storms in years battered northern Europe Thursday, killing at least nine people, injuring others and disrupting travel for thousands.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, meanwhile, cut short her visit to Berlin in order to leave for London before winds worsened, landing in Britain's capital amid winds gusting up to 130 kph (80 mph).

The storm -- dubbed "Cyril" by German meteorologists -- was expected to intensify throughout the day.

"Our country has not had a storm like this in years," the Netherlands' Royal Weather Service said in a bulletin. "We advise you to follow weather alarms and messages to the letter."

The service compared Thursday's gale to a 1990 storm that peaked during the afternoon commute and killed 17. It reported heavy rain and recorded gusts of 130 kph (81 mph).

The first fatality Thursday was reported in Shropshire, England, where a 54-year-old man identified as Richard Heard, managing director of Birmingham Airport, was crushed in his car by a falling branch, according to a local ambulance service. Four others were reported killed in Britain.

One man was killed on a country road in southwestern Germany when he crashed into another car as he tried to avoid a fallen tree, police in Heidelberg said.

Two people were killed by a falling tree near Arnhem, Netherlands, and one was killed the same way in Lille, France.

In Utrecht, Netherlands, a building crane toppled onto a university building, crumpling the roof and injuring six.

Outside the European Commission headquarters in Brussels, flags of the 25 member nations were wrapped up at half staff as a precaution.

London's Heathrow Airport, Europe's largest, canceled 123 flights. Other major airports including Frankfurt, Munich, Amsterdam and Vienna reported delays and cancellations.

Rescue crews
At sea, coast guard ships and naval helicopters rescued the crew of a British container ship damaged and drifting in the English Channel, Britain's Coast Guard said.

Ferries were canceled or delayed in Britain, Ireland, France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Finland -- where minor floods were reported near Helsinki.

In Ireland and Latvia, winds kept rescue crews from helping other ships damaged or missing after storms earlier this week: seven fishermen from Ireland, Poland and Ukraine are missing and presumed dead off Ireland's coast, while Latvian rescuers were unable to attempt to salvage a Greek-owned cargo ship that ran aground Tuesday off the Baltic port of Ventspils and has been leaking oil.

A ship burst loose from its moorings near Rotterdam and smashed an oil pipeline, leaking around 1,600 cubic meters (10,000 barrels) of oil. The stench reached The Hague, 30 kilometers (20 miles) away, Dutch media said.

On land, residents along the North Sea coast were warned to expect storm swells up to 3.5 meters (11.5 feet) higher than normal.

Gusts blew off part of Lords cricket ground's roof in London, and tore panes of glass from London Bridge railway station's roof, scattering shattered glass over the concourse. No commuters were injured, British Transport Police said, adding that most of the station had been closed as a precautionary measure.

Trains in various parts of the Netherlands, Germany and Austria also were delayed. No trains were running from Utrecht and Amsterdam central stations because of debris on the rails.

The Dutch traffic ministry urged car owners to avoid travel unless absolutely necessary, and several key routes were closed due to damage or flooding. Many zoos were closed for safety.

"The security of our visitors and our animals is our highest priority," Hanover zoo director Klaus-Michael Machens said.

In Amsterdam, bicyclists who ventured out despite warnings from the fire department were seen blown over or, in some cases, backward.

In the north of the Netherlands, the world's largest steam-powered mill -- a UNESCO world heritage monument built in the 1920s -- was fired up for the second time this year to pump excess water away from the low-lying Friesland province.

Austria's national weather service said storm winds had the potential to reach 170 kph (105 mph) at higher altitudes in the Alps, and officials cautioned skiers and snowboarders to get off the mountains and seek shelter well before nightfall.

In southern Europe, untouched by the storm, sunny skies and mild temperatures prevailed.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Fierce Storm Batters Europe
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:34:19 pm »
BBC says at least 15 people have died already.  :(

To our Northern Euro mates - Stay safe guys!  Indoors and away from windows ..

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:36:41 pm »
First Euro Brokie to report...

Yes, it's bad. 12 people were already killed in Europe.
Heidelberg, which was mentioned in the CCN article, is where I was born and had lived most of my life. Now I live about 35 km (about 22 miles) away from there.

Where I live the storm is already fierce and the worst is reported to come at 10pm. Now it's 8:30pm.

The door of our barn has already been damaged. Again. Last week we had a storm, too (not as bad as this one) and the barn was damaged. But not badly. My husband and father-in-law repaired it last Saturday. That was for nothing  :(.
I also have heard roof tiles shattering, but I don't know whether it was on our property or at some neighbour's. We'll see tomorrow.
The Television doesn't work anymore, but as you see I'm still online.

Most important thing: all my family members are at home and we're safe. Our house is about 250 years old. I'm sure it has seen storms worse than this. It may be a little damaged if we're unlucky (hopefully not, knock on wood three times) but it will stand.

Hope all other Euro Brokies are safe as well! Please stay at home or wherever you are!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 03:36:45 pm »
BBC says at least 15 people have died already.  :(

To our Northern Euro mates - Stay safe guys!  Indoors and away from windows ..

Yep, stay away from windows if you have no plywood or any other protection on them.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 03:39:51 pm »
I called my sister in Holland .. the storm is bad, but they are okay. 
She is stuck at work but at least it is safe there I hope ..

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 03:40:22 pm »
hey everyone

over here in Belgium a lot cars have been damages by falling trees, no fatalities that i have hear of.

But in Antwerp, a boy got hit on the head by a flying piece of wood. He's now fighting for his life  :'(

We're all safe and sound at home. Let's hope this passes quickly...

Thanks for your thought!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 03:44:40 pm »
I just called my friend Alex in London. He is okay and he told me he plans on staying indoors.

Melissa (mvansand76) is okay too. She just sent me an email. Hopefully she will post a message later.

Now I am going to make a few more telephone calls.

To all our European Bettermost family... please check in and let us know you are safe. We're worried about you!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 04:04:27 pm »
Hi there, everybody!  :D

I've been at work in my Würzburg broadcasting station all day and we were quite busy updating the news about storm preparations and damages in our region. Several trucks have already been blown from the Autobahn in my area, countless trees fell and blocked the traffic on the streets. Afternoon lessons for all Bavarian kids have been cancelled today due to the storm, and practically all public buildings closed in the afternoon. I, myself, am spending the night in my broadcasting station. I'd be stupid to drive home tonight in the hurricane only to come back here in the early hours tomorrow morning when I'll have to work again. I'm fine. I've got television, a computer, potatoe chips, a glass of wine and a couple of online friends...  ;)
Everything is fine here.

:)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 04:18:34 pm »
Anke, good to hear from you! Glad you're safe, although you have to stay at the office for the night. But that's the best thing you can do now.

My children were sent home from school today early. The closed all (? guess so) schools at noon and instructed the children to carry their bags or satchels on their heads on their way home  :o. In case of roof tiles coming down. I have to admit that I had to laugh about that, although it isn't funny.

In the news I've heard it was especially bad in GB and northern France. Had to think of Kelda and Isabelle. Hopefully they're all right and safe.

Thanks for you thoughts to all non-Euro-Brokies  :-*

Edit: Hi Fabienne! Somehow I've missed your post. Glad to read you're all right.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 07:30:06 pm »
Thank you for your post David!

It has been windy for some time now and today was particularly bad. I was on my bike (just out for lunch, no big distance) but I had to stop once, from fear of being swept off from the bycicle path onto the busy road next to it.

A few tiles fell from the roof of my mother's house and the fence in my garden suffered a little, but other than that, it's ok in my area. I've seen pictures of pretty bad incidents though. They say it will all calm down after tonight.. ?!

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -