Author Topic: Fierce Storm Batters Europe  (Read 8040 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Fierce Storm Batters Europe
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 09:39:47 pm »
Well, I'm really happy to hear you all are okay. We still haven't heard from Nicky (England), Kelda (Scotland), Steven (The Netherlands), Isabelle (France), Michela (Northern Ireland) and a few others. I sure do hope they are okay too.

It's so weird to hear about a hurricane in January. I've heard people say it was Catagory 2 strength. If this was June or July it wouldn't be so weird. But in January? I've never heard of such a thing. And it's killing people over there too.  :'(

Let's just hope all our Euro-Brokies made it through unscathed. I'm sure they did, but it's always nice to know for sure. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 11:53:14 pm by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 11:48:32 pm »
I'm glad to read most of our Euro-buds are weathering the storm well.

Thinking of you all.  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 12:20:46 am »
I am awake wayyy too early in the morning and the howling wind has died down.  I haven't yet gone to check to see if there are any branches lying on my car yet on the other side of the building, but as all of my German friends predicted, we did not lose electric power (got a flicker about midnight though!) and did not lose internet.  In fact, irony of ironies, my connection was more stable at the height of the storm than it was on a sunny afternoon this week!

Temperatures are ridiculously warm.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 12:22:36 am »
Thanks to all our Euro Brokies who reported in and let us know you're okay.  I hope the damage in your respective areas isn't too bad.  What a weird year for weather!  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 12:48:28 am »
Hi there, everybody!  :D

I've been at work in my Würzburg broadcasting station all day and we were quite busy updating the news about storm preparations and damages in our region. Several trucks have already been blown from the Autobahn in my area, countless trees fell and blocked the traffic on the streets. Afternoon lessons for all Bavarian kids have been cancelled today due to the storm, and practically all public buildings closed in the afternoon. I, myself, am spending the night in my broadcasting station. I'd be stupid to drive home tonight in the hurricane only to come back here in the early hours tomorrow morning when I'll have to work again. I'm fine. I've got television, a computer, potatoe chips, a glass of wine and a couple of online friends...  ;)
Everything is fine here.

:)
That's great to hear, Anke!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 05:03:41 am »
I'm thinking about all of you a lot. 

{{{Our Euro-Brokies}}}

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 05:29:36 am »
I'm fine - no hugely hugely bad winds my way... the winds were much much worse a few days ago - as I know since I have no fence left!

We did get snow though! It didn't lie at home in Irvine or in Glasgow where I work but it did lie in between these places - where I commute through on the train. Woke up half way through my train journey home to see lots of white!!

There has been 12 deaths in the UK though. Due to collapsing walls, uprooted trees, etc. Not good.

Bad sleet is forecast for tomorrow.. a day to stay indoors as much as possible I think.

The weather has been so bad over most of the world over the last few weeks - I hope we don't have a Jake style movie plot coming up!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 07:30:53 am »
I'm thinking about all of you a lot. 

{{{Our Euro-Brokies}}}

awww, thanks

hugs right back at ya!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 07:52:57 am »
Thanks for the reports, everyone. I am glad to know that everyone is safe and sound. Pent, the school children with the satchels on their heads gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for that story!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 08:05:04 am »

My children were sent home from school today early. The closed all (? guess so) schools at noon and instructed the children to carry their bags or satchels on their heads on their way home  :o. In case of roof tiles coming down. I have to admit that I had to laugh about that, although it isn't funny.

In the news I've heard it was especially bad in GB and northern France. Had to think of Kelda and Isabelle. Hopefully they're all right and safe.

You seem to have got much more of a bettering than me. I live in a coastal town so thought I'd get it but it seems to have passed me by... for now.

Love the little story about the kids bags on their head - cute!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/