Author Topic: Jake on the cover of GQ!  (Read 8540 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Jake on the cover of GQ!
« on: January 18, 2007, 04:59:57 pm »
FINALLY...

Think I'll be making a little side trip to the grocery store on my lunch break tomorrow...

No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Jake on the cover of GQ!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:24:12 pm »
I bought it today at CVS.  So it's out on the newstands. If your a Jake fan, you need to buy the issue. Five pages of text. 

I learned he really liked WILLOW (?) and he's not seeing anybody (must be lonely) and he exercises  three hrs a morning.  The movie ED WOOD didn't inspire him to get into film. WHere do ppl get this stuff?   No bombshells.  Oh and he's heard the rumors of him and Lance, i.e. either he's having an affair or he's doing a biopic of Lance. Neither is true of course.

ZODIAC is mentioned in the article several times as the journalist mentioned having  just seen a sneak preview. Only BBM reference is to how the critics reacted to Jakes' performance. 

The journalist who wrote the column noted to Jake that that the size of his head was better suited to theater. 
I didn't know oversized heads looked better on film.  He said he working on that.  I've heard ppl said that about Leo having a bid head in proportion to his body.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:57:53 pm »
God, if I didn't know better, I would have thought I was looking at the cover of The Advocate or Out.

It looks like they even have an article about Gay people in Iraq.

That is an excellent picture of Jake too. I could look into those eyes all day long.

Thanks Barb! I'm going to head out tonight and get my copy!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 08:28:45 pm »
I learned he really liked WILLOW (?)...

If I'm understanding the reference, WILLOW is a sci-fi/fantasy movie starring Val Kilmer that came out in 1988:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096446/

I remember liking it - thinking it was romantic, but that was a lifetime ago.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:07:28 am »
Wow - how ironic is that?  That was the last movie my last boyfriend before I met my husband and I saw together - he broke up with me right afterwards.  It was one of his favorites, too - he had already seen it and was seeing it for a second time that night.  Needless to say, it's not one of mine.

:-\

Regardless, I'll be stopping by ye olde CVS on my way in to work today, thankyouverymuch.  :)

No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 06:24:18 am »
Gosh can I just say that I rather see him smiling like in that Premiere article? But....he's still cute whatever kind of face he makes, just like my boyfriend (see avatar...LOL)....

:D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 06:44:58 am »
You really have a telent for taking brilliant photos (and for drawing/painitng) Jude... this is me just seeing them as before I was in wotrk and it woun't let me see images form the likes of photobucket.

The pictures of all the cats are brilliant! My cats are NOT at all that photogenic - as the pcis of them on David's blog (Messages from the Heartland) shows.. they won't sit still to take a photo and always blink with the flash goes!

Glad you saw the silly kittie imagesI posted this time round!!!

EDIT! I seem to have posted that in the wrong thread - I wondered why when I posted this message the first time it never showed on the happy birthday JUDE thread - guess thats what comes form having too many browsers open at the one time looking at bettermost!!!!

and what I emant to say whemn posting here is that Willow is a great movie. It's about a race of little people and the hereo is willow becsuse even though hes small he saves this baby from an evil queen character. Cute film. And Val Kilmer i believe married his romantic conquest in the film in real life but thay have since broke up. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 04:18:51 pm by kelda_shelton »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline jakefan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:57:24 pm »
I bought mine yesterday!  It was longer than his 2004 GQ interview, which made me happy.  Maybe it was just me, but I loved Jake's answer to whether he plans to have children.  He says, "Look--the most important job for a man is to find the right woman.  It's the best we can do."  Then, he continues on talking about thanking his father for choosing his mother and that she chose well.  I loved that; it was so sweet and endearing.

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 04:08:51 pm »
I do hope somebody can post a PDF or something of the interview! Can't get the magazine here!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:02:04 pm »
And we now know Naomi Foner makes great banana bread.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

mvansand76

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 07:38:50 am »

She does?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 09:55:14 am »

She does?

According to her bouncing baby boy Jakey she does!  ;D (It's in the article.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 11:50:09 pm »
I think my favorite thing about this cover is the combination of Jake with the big headline about shirt-tucking!
 :o

How Brokie appropriate.
 ;D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 12:01:11 am »
I think my favorite thing about this cover is the combination of Jake with the big headline about shirt-tucking!

How Brokie appropriate.
 ;D

LOL  !  very true Amanda!

Too bad the headline wasn't  "When denim and plaid go together"   ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 07:53:04 am »

How Brokie appropriate.
 ;D

I was thinking the same thing! Could just imagine Ennis appearing on that cover.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 04:15:08 pm »
I hate to put a damper on things, but they have a rather distressing article about gay people in Iraq.

Did anyone read it yet? It's very sad, and scary too.  :'(

God, and I thought I had it bad here in Indiana.

mvansand76

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 04:33:12 pm »
I hate to put a damper on things, but they have a rather distressing article about gay people in Iraq.

You've got the issue now? I don't have it yet. Tell us about the article, though, please.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 04:36:56 pm »

No matter how bad it is anywhere in the U.S., it is much worse in Islamic countries.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 05:15:15 pm »
You've got the issue now? I don't have it yet. Tell us about the article, though, please.

The article follows a gay Iraqi named Ali Hili (he was forced to change his name) who moved to the UK with the help of a Dutch couple in Amsterdam (Edwin Dadema and Jean Phillipe de Bliek). He now has a British lover in the UK. The couple has been receiving hate mail and death threats from the Islamic community.

One email showed the beheading of a gay Iraqi and it read: " This cold habbens [sic] for you and your Iraqi mather facker [sic] soon.... if he no listen for us and surender [sic] to his government".

Most of Ali's gay friends in Iraq have now been executed, and they even showed a picture of it. It's just really tragic and sad Melissa. It's a very difficult thing to read. We must remember that there are probably several million gay Iraqis living in Iraq, and they are suffering terribly right now. The article stated that gay people were treated fairly well under Saddam Hussein (at least compared to other Islamic countries) but ever since he was removed from government, things have gone from bad to worse for gay people there.

THANKS A LOT PRESIDENT BUSH!!  >:(   >:(   >:(   >:(   >:(   >:(
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 05:17:56 pm by David925 »

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 07:43:25 am »
The article follows a gay Iraqi named Ali Hili (he was forced to change his name) who moved to the UK with the help of a Dutch couple in Amsterdam (Edwin Dadema and Jean Phillipe de Bliek). He now has a British lover in the UK. The couple has been receiving hate mail and death threats from the Islamic community.

One email showed the beheading of a gay Iraqi and it read: " This cold habbens [sic] for you and your Iraqi mather facker [sic] soon.... if he no listen for us and surender [sic] to his government".

Most of Ali's gay friends in Iraq have now been executed, and they even showed a picture of it. It's just really tragic and sad Melissa. It's a very difficult thing to read. We must remember that there are probably several million gay Iraqis living in Iraq, and they are suffering terribly right now. The article stated that gay people were treated fairly well under Saddam Hussein (at least compared to other Islamic countries) but ever since he was removed from government, things have gone from bad to worse for gay people there.

THANKS A LOT PRESIDENT BUSH!!  >:(   >:(   >:(   >:(   >:(   >:(

Hopefully I will be able to get GQ in Amsterdam (sometimes it takes a long time for US magazines to come out), I need to read this article.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 01:41:53 pm »
People online has part of Jake's interview on GQ re printed. Here's the text:

Jake: Finding a Good Woman Is Job One
THURSDAY JANUARY 25, 2007 11:10 AM EST

By Tim Nudd

Now that big sister Maggie is a mom, Jake Gyllenhaal admits he's been thinking about when he might have kids himself. But first things first – he'll need to find the right woman.

"I'm definitely thinking about (children)," the 26-year-old actor tells GQ in its February issue. But the first responsibility for any man who wants to be a father, he says, is to choose wisely when it comes to a partner.

"Look," says Gyllenhaal, who is single, "the most important job for a man is to find the right woman. It's the best we can do. I thank my father for choosing my mother. She's wonderful in so many ways. And she chose well, too. I've noticed in life that the mother, first, has a primary job – and as a father, your job is to pick a caring, smart, mindful woman."

Women interested in the job should know, however, that the actor isn't just your stereotypical sensitive guy – he also has a dark side, according to Robert Downey Jr., who stars with Gyllenhaal in the upcoming David Fincher thriller Zodiac.

"You could say he's too sensitive for this industry," Downey Jr. tells GQ. "That's not even the right word. He's clear. But he's also a total badass. He and Steve McQueen would have gotten along amazingly. Guys who will do anything, anywhere."

Playing into that "badass" characterization, Gyllenhaal tells GQ that he loves cooking, going to the farmers' market and "sometimes what I actually love to do is go to a farm and get fresh milk or watch a pig get slaughtered."

Gyllenhaal's most high-profile relationship to date was his lengthy on-again, off-again relationship with Kirsten Dunst.

Asked about his close friendship with cycling star Lance Armstrong – and rumors that they are more than just pals, Gyllenhaal laughs it off as the downside of fame.

"That is quite a rumor," Jake says. "Yeah, people who are semi-well-known can't seem to hang out without the story being that (a) one is playing the other in a movie, or (b) they're having an affair."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20009678,00.html

I don't know about the rest of it, but from what I just read, this interview seems to be a bit silly. I've read better ones. Take for example the following quote:

Women interested in the job should know, however, that the actor isn't just your stereotypical sensitive guy – he also has a dark side, according to Robert Downey Jr., who stars with Gyllenhaal in the upcoming David Fincher thriller Zodiac.

Well, duh. So, Jake has a dark side. Who doesn't? For goodness sake!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 01:46:00 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 02:31:42 pm »
Is it just me, or does this

Look," says Gyllenhaal, who is single, "the most important job for a man is to find the right woman. It's the best we can do. I thank my father for choosing my mother. She's wonderful in so many ways. And she chose well, too. I've noticed in life that the mother, first, has a primary job – and as a father, your job is to pick a caring, smart, mindful woman."

sound kinda... provincial?  (You're not turning into a - gasp - Republican on me, are ya, Jake?)

I realize he's complimenting the mother's role in raising the child, but he's kind of underestimating the father's.  Isn't he?

~ Barb, from her "Probably Reading Too Much Into It Again" LP

No more beans!

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 03:26:31 pm »
personally, i dont have a problem with how jake feels about finding a good woman to be his wife, and a good mother to his children.   and its just important that a woman finds a man who is going to be a good man; gentle and kind and suited to be a good father. 
thats what i did in my own personal experience especially because i already had a child before i got married to my husband.  Today in this crazy world a person really has to be very careful.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 11:03:07 am »
I hear ya, Dev.  It's just that there is so much more to long-term, committed relationships than finding someone you think will be the best parent to your children.  Of course that is important, and one should take that into serious consideration if one wants children and is looking for a life partner to raise them with.  But there are other equally important considerations.  I know because I thought I chose a man who would be a wonderful father first and foremost - I thought that that was the most important thing.  Especially since my own father had pretty much sucked eggs for most of my formative years.  And my husband is indeed better than most.  But he is not my, for lack of a better word, soul mate.  He doesn't begin to understand or fully appreciate me and never has.  I thought I could do without my partner being madly in love with me for the greater good - of being in a steady, calm relationship and being with someone who would be a good father.  I forgot to consider that it would also be advantageous to find someone who brought out the best in me and fully supported me when I wasn't at my best.

I guess I'm transferring my own baggage onto poor Jake.  He's just a kid, really, who's got his whole life ahead of him to hopefully avoid making the same mistake I made.
No more beans!

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 11:35:45 pm »
Barb unfortunately i have to admit my husband is not my soul mate either.  Now that my daughter is grown and on her own i question myself whether or not i want to stay in this marriage...we've had a really rough past few years and some of it had to do with my daughter...her teenage angst was almost unbearable.   I wont get into that too much, but my  husband had a very difficult time accepting the fact that she is a lesbian....born a lesbian and i support her..it took a long time for him to come around, but eventually he has.  So are you unhappy?  lately most of the time i am.  So i have to say I know what you are talking about and you arent alone and neither am i.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 11:45:31 pm »
Aw, honey.  I hear you on all of this.  I'm about to write you a PM.   :-*
No more beans!