Author Topic: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!  (Read 44332 times)

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:19:18 am »
Still boycotting... I need to do this for closure.

But I always try and predict the winners regardless of whether or not I will watch the films.

Wasn't that the problem with the Academny and Brokeback Mountain?  Oh, no, the problem was that the Academy refused to WATCH the film before voting.

My predictions - feel free to add your own.

Based on my belief that the Academy hates the Hollywood Foreign Press, and acts out against its winners I say:

Best Movie -  "The Queen"

Best Actress -  Helen Mirren *****oh wait...she won the Globe...

so I now I lean toward Judi Dench.  I'm not even sure if Judi Dench was in a movie this year, but she's British...the Academy often associates accents with the ability to act.

Best Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio

Best Director - Blah, Blah, Scorcese, Blah, Blah.

Best Supporting Actress - Some English Actress - pick one.

Best Supporting Actor - Djimon Hounsou
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:01:58 pm by Flashframe777 »
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:39:20 am »
Here are mine:

Best Movie -  The Departed (that'll satisfy their need to go against the HFPA's picks, and squelch any rumors that they're purposely picking underdog films whose directors didn't win to get more viewers)

Best Actress -  Helen Mirren - might as well give it to her now.  The nice thing is she actually deserves it.

Best Actor - Forest Whitaker (I disagree with you on going against the HFPA on this one - they do *love* their impersonations, after all)

Best Director - Martin Scorcese

Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson (they also love their musicals, and this will be Dreamgirls' Consolation Prize for not winning BP)

Best Supporting Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio for The Departed - if the production company is smart and markets him for Best Supporting Actor instead of Best Actor in this one.  If they're not, then Ben Affleck for Hollywoodland (they do also love their docudramas about themselves) or Alan Arkin for Little Miss Sunshine

And I'm still boycotting, too.  And not just this year.  From now on.  My husband doesn't believe me and thinks I'm being "silly" about it.  Just goes to show how really little he knows me.  I'll say it the right way, unlike certain of our retarded leaders:  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

The AMPAS is done as far as I'm concerned.  But I'm happy to predict their winners just to prove how well I understand the way they "think."  (And how f***ed up it is.)
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 11:42:44 am »
I don't think Leo should be issuing statements saying something to the effect that it's awful that Scorsese doesn't have an Oscar yet.  Those ppl  (Academy Members) don't like to be lectured to. If anything it could backfire. I hope Scorsese and not Eastwood wins for Best Director.

It would be nice to see THE QUEEN win.  So many of the Academy members are older and films like this might appeal to them as opposed to The Departed.

I won't be watching the OSCARS, first time in my lifetime I have not.

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:53:52 am »
Nost folks in the score community I know are rooting for The Fountain to win Best Score... Whether it will or not, I don't know.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:00:11 pm »
Barb, I like your picks..I think you are spot on, but Kd might be right about The Queen. And frankly, it would follow the trend of picking a fairly mediocre movie as Best Picture. Don't get me wrong...I thought Helen Mirren was fantastic and I totally agree that she will (and should) win Best Actress. But the actual movie I thought was sort of ... blah. Plus, one-third of it (at least) was stuff from CNN. That's not movie-making in my book.

But I am with the rest of you...I won't be watching the foolish thing.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 12:09:23 pm »
Screw 'em all.  The O (I ain't sayin' it's name) doesn't mean anything.  It's worthless, and it's not even worth predicting who will win, since it's not based on merit.  F*ck 'em all ta hell.  The Academy can take the O and shove it.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
Screw 'em all.  The O (I ain't sayin' it's name) doesn't mean anything.  It's worthless, and it's not even worth predicting who will win, since it's not based on merit.  F*ck 'em all ta hell.  The Academy can take the O and shove it.

say how you feel Eric, why don't youl!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

(But I agree!)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 12:33:46 pm »
 :D

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 02:03:16 pm »

Unfortunately I know a lot of film score fans who have said that after Brokeback WON last year for Score. :( Some even felt that way back when the nominations for score were revealed.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 02:55:44 pm »
:laugh: @ Eric.

You make an excellent point about The Queen, Leslie (and you, too, Flash), and one with which I totally agree.  I loved Helen Mirren's performance, but I only liked the movie.  It was mediocre at best.

I didn't know about this Leo lecturing stuff going on.  In that case, can I re-predict?

Best Director: Clint Eastwood for "Letters From Iwo Jima"

Best Supporting Actor: either Eddie Murphy or (more likely) Alan Arkin

Best Picture:  The Queen (since Letters will win for Best Foreign Language Film)

And now I'm gonna make a prediction that you can all take to the bank:  Chances of Barb watching this year's O telecast:  Zero.  Here, I'll add another one for ya:  Chances of Barb ever watching the O telecast again:  Zero.  So many people doubt me on this, since like kd, this will be the first year since the year I started (when I was 8 years old) that I won't be watching it.  But as quoth the raven, "Nevermore."  As my Dad says, mark my words.

No more beans!