Author Topic: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!  (Read 44600 times)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2007, 07:47:42 pm »
I finally saw Pan's Labyrinth and liked it very much, especially the magical performance of young Ivana Baquero as Ofelia.  I've loved Maribel Verdu ever since I saw her in Y tu Mama tambien, and she is just as great here. And, of course,  Sergi López makes a perfect villain, even if this character is somewhat stereotypically bad. The acting is overall superb, as is the music and the juxtaposition of imagination and reality. As to the special effects - oh well. Maybe I've just seen too many computer animated clone monsters in movies to be thrilled by them anymore...

In short: it's perfectly possible that this one takes home the Oscar for best foreign language picture, but I will still be rooting for the German candidate...  ::)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2007, 02:02:57 pm »
The one that threw me off the most was the bloke who played Prince Charles.  Hell, I look more like Prince Charles than that guy did. 

It's true that he didn't really look like him, but I still immediately knew it was supposed to be Prince Charles so I think the the actor did an excellent job.   Cromwell as Philip was great!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2007, 04:42:22 pm »
Here are my final, final predictions, which haven't changed too much in the past few weeks. The odds (in parentheses) are from Ladbrokes, a British betting and gambling company. The were published in the Wall Street Journal.

Best Picture

will win: Little Miss Sunshine (9:4)
should win: The Departed  (even)

Best Actor

will and should win: Forest Whitaker (1:8 )

Best Actress

will and should win: Helen Mirren (1:66)

Best Supporting Actor

will win: Eddie Murphy (8:15)
should win: Mark Wahlberg (25:1)

Best Supporting Actress

will and should win: Jennifer Hudson (1:7) [nb: as I have mentioned before, this will be a career killing Oscar for her]

Best Director

will and should win: Martin Scorsese (1:6)

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2007, 08:35:06 pm »
Yeah, didn't they pick BBM last year, "Ladbrokes, a British betting and gambling company."  THe WSJ picked THE AVIATOR one year because whichever film has the most flying scenese tends to win.  ;)

I agree with you on everything else you said except I think it will be BABEL. 

I don't watch Roger Ebert anymore. Who has he been cheerleading for?  Does anyone know?

Oh, I wasn't wowed by Mark Wahlberg.  I like him even less as person after what someone posted on TOB regarding  a recent interview he gave PREMIERE MAGAZINE in which he starts talking about BBM.  I can't believe Ang Lee approached him to do BBM.  Can you imagine him as Ennis Del Mar?   Thank god he thought it was too "graphic."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2007, 09:09:56 pm »
Good question about Roger. I have no idea what he is up to, or what movies he is promoting. I know he has been ill with cancer.

I know very little about Mark Wahlberg, myself. I remember I saw him in Boogie Nights, a movie I did NOT like. I have paid no attention to his career since then but was blown away by his performance in The Departed. I didn't even know who he was until I saw the credits.

My husband heard an interview with him on NPR. Apparently he is from South Boston (locale of The Departed) and spent time in jail. He spent years losing his accent and had to relearn it again for this movie. Just a bit of trivia.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2007, 12:41:25 am »
Just want to say congratulations to TWO-TIME OSCAR-WINNER GUSTAVO SANTAOLALLA!!!!!
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2007, 01:10:42 am »

Oh, I wasn't wowed by Mark Wahlberg.  I like him even less as person after what someone posted on TOB regarding  a recent interview he gave PREMIERE MAGAZINE in which he starts talking about BBM.  I can't believe Ang Lee approached him to do BBM.  Can you imagine him as Ennis Del Mar?   Thank god he thought it was too "graphic."

The guy who wore an enormous penis prosthesis in Boogie Nights thought BBM was too graphic?!?

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2007, 03:36:12 am »
Yea Gustavo!!!!!  Pity that was the only thing Babel won.  I won the prediction contest at the party I went to.  Got 16 out of the 24.

Can you believe some of the surprises tonight?  Dreamgirls gets supporting actress and that's it!  All of its songs lose to An Inconvenient Truth, probably marking the first time that the Documentary Feature winner won something else as well.  And Pan's Labyrinth winning cinematography over Children of Men and Art Direction over Dreamgirls and then losing Foreign Language Film to The Lives of Others!!!!!  Happy about that one (so is Anke, I bet).  Also happy that Little Miss Sunshine won Original Screenplay AND Supporting Actor!!!  I don't think I've ever exclaimed "WOW" as much during an Oscar telecast.

I was disappointed by the results for Live Action and Documentary Short because I saw them all and my least favorites won in both of those categories.  I would have prefered The Savior and Recycled Life, respectively.

No matter how off base they can be, I still love watching the Oscars.  So there.

Edit: I forgot Dreamgirls won for Sound Mixing too.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:16:08 am by kirkmusic »

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2007, 04:41:12 am »
I was rooting for Pan's Labyrinth for score, because it's an amazing one, second-best of the year next to The Fountain. But I was happy for Gustavo, not necessarily because of the work he did on Babel but because of his amazing tribute to Brokeback Mountain. Composers-wise though I was REALLY rooting for THOMAS NEWMAN. How much you want to bet he's the next Ennio Morricone?

Speaking of which I cried during the tribute to Ennio. That, along with Best Score, Actor, Actress and Director and Picture were the only things I saw.

I was really rooting for Will Smith. He always plays roles that make you smile, they please you. He's such a likeable person, and a very gifted actor. I hope he gets his due someday too.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2007, 07:49:12 am »
Here are my final, final predictions, which haven't changed too much in the past few weeks. The odds (in parentheses) are from Ladbrokes, a British betting and gambling company. The were published in the Wall Street Journal.

Best Picture

will win: Little Miss Sunshine (9:4)
should win: The Departed  (even)

Best Actor

will and should win: Forest Whitaker (1:8 )

Best Actress

will and should win: Helen Mirren (1:66)

Best Supporting Actor

will win: Eddie Murphy (8:15)
should win: Mark Wahlberg (25:1)

Best Supporting Actress

will and should win: Jennifer Hudson (1:7) [nb: as I have mentioned before, this will be a career killing Oscar for her]

Best Director

will and should win: Martin Scorsese (1:6)

Leslie

On Best Picture, I had the right should. I was totally wrong on Best Supporting Actor, got all the rest. Not bad.

I watched 2 hours of the show (which is 45 minutes more than I usually watch) and finally was bored enough to go to bed. My usual pattern.

L