Author Topic: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!  (Read 44333 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 02:49:05 pm »
The best call on this thread was whoever called MARKY MARK - Wahlberg. 

Wow, thanks!

That's the first time in my life I have ever made a call like that and gotten complimented!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2007, 02:55:44 pm »
My best pic predictions:

If the Academy is in an ensemble mood, as they were last year: Babel will win.

If they want to keep best picture/best director together, then Letters from Iwo Jima and Clint Eastwood will win.

If they want to go with the trend of picking a sort of mediocre/safe movie, then The Queen will win.

Little Miss Sunshine is way too quirky and doesn't have a prayer.

My bet: with all that is going on in Washington and the world, they are going to go patriotic (and think they are sending some sort of a message) with Letters and Clint.

And Martin loses again.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2007, 03:08:53 pm »

If they want to keep best picture/best director together, then Letters from Iwo Jima and Clint Eastwood will win.

Hi Leslie,

I haven't seen this, but isn't this movie in Japanese?  It was in the Foreign Language Film catagory in the GGlobes.  I think people are tired of war and any reminders of war, and will vote against it. (Just my POV)

Maybe I just don't like Clint because of how he received BBM last year.  It must've been hard for him to pass the Best Director award to Ang Lee for BBM.

....BUT, I WILL STILL BOYCOTT THE OSCARS.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 03:15:39 pm by adrian.delmar »
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 05:31:19 pm »
I didn't know about Clint Eastwood not receiving BBM well, Adrian.  Do elaborate...

I'm with you on the "sick of war" thing.  I predict that Babel will win for Best Picture but that Scorsese will *finally* win for Best Director.  They will figure Best Director is "enough" for him.  And they do love their friggin' ensemble pieces.

No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 05:59:44 pm »
I didn't know about Clint Eastwood not receiving BBM well, Adrian.  Do elaborate...

I'm with you on the "sick of war" thing.  I predict that Babel will win for Best Picture but that Scorsese will *finally* win for Best Director.  They will figure Best Director is "enough" for him.  And they do love their friggin' ensemble pieces.

I want Scorsese to win...he should have won with GoodFellas for God's sake...but I read an ominous article that said any time he is nominated with Clint, Clint will win out.

Leslie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2007, 08:23:03 pm »
Hi Leslie,

I haven't seen this, but isn't this movie in Japanese?  It was in the Foreign Language Film catagory in the GGlobes.  I think people are tired of war and any reminders of war, and will vote against it. (Just my POV)

I haven't seen it either, but I am addicted to reviews. Yes, it is in Japanese, but it is directed by an American and produced through an American studio (Warner Brothers) so I guess that makes it an American movie.

I think people are tired of war but, the Academy can use this as a way to "send a message" about the futility of war, the senseless loss of life and so on. Quoting from Roger Ebert's review, he writes:

"The Imperial Headquarters is deceiving not just the people but us as well," Kuribayashi says. It's a line that could have been adapted from "Flags of Our Fathers," which was also an examination of various forms of propaganda, codes of honor, and nationalistic symbolism that are among the primary weapons in any war.

and later, same review:

In both his films, Eastwood empathizes with the "expendable" soldier on the ground, the "poor bastard" who is only a pawn in a war conceived by generals and politicians, some of whom have never come anywhere near a battlefield or a combat zone.

I think it is a question of how "liberal" Hollywood wants to be seen this year. If this movie is "too hot to handle" then it is going to be a toss up between the ensemble (Babel) vs. the mediocre, safe movie (The Queen). Probably in that case, it will all boil down to which studio has the better marketing campaign.

When I said before that Little Miss Sunshine is too quirky....that still stands. But it also makes California look bad, another nail in its coffin.

Roger Ebert's full review can be found here:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070111/REVIEWS/701110301/1023

Leslie
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:37:59 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2007, 10:20:35 pm »
And Paul Haggis wrote and directed Crash.

Excuse me, but am I the only one on this planet who has not been sucked into the Paul Haggis stratosphere and does not think he is God's next gift to moviedom?

Clint falls into that category too, if you want to know the truth. Mystic River was crap, Million Dollar Baby was bigger crap and they are going to hand over another statuette for more crap....

like the rest of you, I am boycotting the Oscars!

L

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2007, 11:41:43 pm »
Wow, thanks!

That's the first time in my life I have ever made a call like that and gotten complimented!

Leslie
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Props Leslie!  I was certainly no Miss Cleo with my Eddie Murphy's snowball's chance in hell nomination now was I?

I got mad love for Mark Wahlberg though.

Embarrassing Marky Mark confessional - I OWN A PAIR OF CALVIN KLEIN UNDERWEAR autographed by Mark Wahlberg.  In my own defense, I didn't ask Mark to sign them myself.  I was meeting with a record company client (Interscope) who must have seen the gay sparkle in my eyes when he mentioned that sitting next to him was a box of promotional underwear signed by MM that was going to be sent to radio stations as giveaways to sale his new CD.  He picked up a box and threw it to me.  BUSTED!

"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2007, 11:56:49 pm »
2. Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

wow! I completely thought "Half Nelsom" would go un-noticed. I'm amazed the Academy gave Ryan Gosling a nomination. If you guys haven't seen this film, do try to see it on dvd. It is amazing!! Ryan is amazing in it. One of 2006's standout in my opininon.

As far as Boycotting, I can't say I will, since I was not a fan in the first place. I never watched until last year, and have not much investments in any of the films this year to care about the awards. I do think the nominations does more for films than the winnings, which is good and bad depending on the film. You have to admit, the award nomination got a lot more people to go see Brokeback than otherwise. Even the lose got more people curious about seeing it.

btw, another Oscar trend is to award people for body of work rather for the work that's actually up for nomination, in particular if they haven't won before. Hoffman's Capote is the most recent example. I'm not saying Hoffman's performance wasn't good, it just wasn't the best. Any how, that trend may go in favor of Scorsese over Clint.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:37:59 am by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 09:32:55 am »
 :) 
another Oscar trend is to award people for body of work rather for the work that's actually up for nomination, in particular if they haven't won before. Hoffman's Capote is the most recent example. I'm not saying Hoffman's performance wasn't good, it just wasn't the best. Any how, that trend may go in favor of Scorsese over Clint.

I agree with you on that - it is definitely Martin's turn this year after several  unfortunate ones ;)
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist