Author Topic: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!  (Read 44657 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2007, 02:23:34 pm »
THE DEPARTED will win Best Picture.  If BABEL wins, then the Academy is really gone bonkers.

You still think they haven't yet?  ;)

No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2007, 02:38:03 pm »
You still think they haven't yet?  ;)

LOL!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2007, 08:56:31 pm »
I would have thought the Academy would have learned from their mistake last year.  History repeats itself.  :(   

Dreamsgirls has already made USD 75,000,000 and BABEL is still waiting to cross USD 20,000,000 with A-list Brad Pitt starring in it.  I think if Brad Pitt was in a good film, it would be doing better. Some ppl just want to see him.   Not that money is a sign of quality (popcorn movies, stuff like that), but BBM did very good considering the country's homophobia and male sexual insecurity.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2007, 09:09:22 am »
People are all talking about the Dreamgirls "snub" but frankly...I don't think it is best picture material. It was good, but not great. But then again, the movies that were nominated were good, but not great. All in all, 2006 was a pretty mediocre year for movies and these nominations seem to be pointing that out.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2007, 12:33:07 pm »
Been watching too much TV...well, one show 50 times is too much TV, huih? Think I'll go watch it again...

:D

Offline opinionista

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2007, 01:32:41 pm »
Have you noticed that in this year's edition of the Oscars, half the nominees are not americans? (I mean the Best director, best actor, actress, supporting actor, actress nominees only). Also, five are black (4 african americans and 1 african); three are hispanics and one is asian. Hollywood is definitely changing. They sure don't want to be considered racists though they sure are homophobics!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2007, 07:56:06 pm »
They sure don't want to be considered racists though they sure are homophobics!

Homophobes? The AMPAS? Surely you jest! They're *so* not homophobes! They've gotten Ellen DeGeneres to host this year's show and everything, to prove that very point, so there. Annie Proulx *really* had no clue in that piece she wrote last year.

I'm sure that's their story and they're gonna stick to it........  no matter our opinion as based on overwhelming evidence.  ::)  ::)  ::)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »
Very good point, Mika!  I hadn't put that together.  :-\
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2007, 12:35:34 am »
I wonder will they crucify Little Miss Sunshine they way they crucified Brokeback Mountain last year.
Actually, I can't believe that LMS got a BP nom, or The Queen for that matter, considering all the interesting films that came out last year:

Blood Diamond easily beats both of those films.  Leo's nom is well deserved i think, but the film should have  been nominated as well.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer ,  that film was just sublime.  Ben Whishaw should have been nominated for Best actor.  Of course i know why it's ignored, it was so badly marketed. that most people haven't even heard of the film .

Children of Men should have been more of a a contender.  For one thing, it's the first time I've  actually felt like I was part of the action on screen.  It was both troubling and strangely thrilling. 

The Fountain, say what you will, it was a very affecting film and Wolverine's performance was outstanding.

Little Children  deserved more attention too.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2007, 08:44:23 am »
Personally, I liked The Prestige, alot, and would have like to seen it nominated for more than cinematography and art direction. I thought Hugh Jackman and Michael Caine were great, and David Bowie was very good. And the costumes were good too. Oh well...

L