Author Topic: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!  (Read 44670 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2007, 02:17:17 pm »
I don't doubt that, Eric.

The *only* things I will regret missing on the Oscars telecast that I will not be watching, now, are Ellen's monologue and the distinct possibility of Al Gore collecting the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature.

If I watch either of those two particular things on youtube sometime afterwards, am I a bad person/hypocrite?  I think I already know the answer.   :-\
No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2007, 05:07:38 pm »
Interesting article on the Oscar season. I wonder... has anyone seen reviews of "Letters from Iwo Jima"? I wonder if it was nominated for best picture because of the Eastwood/Haggis association, and not because people had seen the movie and liked it. (Interesting that "Flags of Our Fathers," which was released early enough for it to be seen as a bust come nominations time, didn't get nominated.)

I'm probably going to rent "Little Miss Sunshine," if only because it's a) out on video already and b) Katherine said, months ago, that it didn't suck.

I might rent "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" first, though. Just because a) I have a lot of friends who enjoyed it and b) I'm in the mood to rebel against Oscar bait.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2007, 05:19:25 pm »
I don't doubt that, Eric.

The *only* things I will regret missing on the Oscars telecast that I will not be watching, now, are Ellen's monologue and the distinct possibility of Al Gore collecting the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature.

If I watch either of those two particular things on youtube sometime afterwards, am I a bad person/hypocrite?  I think I already know the answer.   :-\

And also cheer for Ennio Morricone!! Or do you not like spaghetti Western music?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2007, 05:35:10 pm »
Oh, OK.  And to cheer for Ennio as well.  :)

I plan to see "Letters From Iwo Jima" tomorrow night.  I'll alert you all to my findings after that time.  I see that it gets fairly consistently good reviews, so I'm confident it won't suck.  But if it's only *as* good as the other nominees, it'll be quite a letdown after the two, I think, great movies I saw this past weekend.  (Pan's Labyrinth and Venus.)
No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2007, 06:03:36 pm »

She's slipping everybody!  She's gonna watch 'em.  We need to kidnap her and bring her to Bay City for the night!!
  :D  :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2007, 07:40:07 pm »

She's slipping everybody!  She's gonna watch 'em.  We need to kidnap her and bring her to Bay City for the night!!
  :D  :D

Tell you what.  The truth is...  I wish you would.  Sometimes I miss you all so much, I can hardly stand it.  And you're right - I'm slipping (a little).  But I promise not enough to warrant watching it.  I will read what those who watch think of Ellen's monologue, though, and if she makes reference to Brokeback in any reverential way, real or imagined, I wanna see it on youtube.  If not, I can stand to miss it.  And I can always stand to miss Al Gore.  Howzat?

No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2007, 07:51:22 am »
I am like Barb, my predictions change daily, but here's my latest thinking:

Best actor, Forest Whitaker; Best Actress, Helen Mirren; Best Supporting Actor, Eddie Murphy; Best Supporting Actress, Jennifer Hudson

Three of the four top acting prizes will go to African-Americans, and the Academy will be crowing about that. "We are so diverse!"

They will further cement their "diversity" by giving Best Picture to Little Miss Sunshine, and crow alot about "Alan Arkin as a dirty old man! Steve Carrell as a gay guy! Oh, we are so open and welcoming of all types of people!"

And in an effort to correct all their past wrongs, Martin Scorcese will get Best Director for The Departed.

That's the way I see it today....

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2007, 09:48:33 am »
That's precisely the way I see it, too.

We *definitely* should go see some movies together someday.  :)

(Just maybe not Pan's Labyrinth.  ;))
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:38:11 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2007, 11:20:04 am »
I still hope THE QUEEN wins best picture. Like Ennis, Elizabeth II doesn't wear her emotions on her sleeve. I think that's the saying.   

I would have nominated THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND over BABEL. AN INCOVENIENT TRUTH should have been nominated as it's an important film. Still don't want Gore to run for president. 

THE DEPARTED. I hope Scorsese wins for Best Director.  The film left me cold, so I don' care if it wins any other awards.  Scorsese should have won for TAXI DRIVER. 

I noticed no WTC movies were nominated. Some pundits said last years nominated pictures painted a rather a non too optimistic view of the world. I guess LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE is this year's SIDEWAYS, i.e. a lighter film so to speak.   Nice it won SAG. 

Whose watching BAFTA.  Is it on cable?   

I won't have a problem not watching the OSCARS as no film has been of emotion catharsis to me this year, i.e, a film that stays with you for weeks and you go back to the theater to see it multiple times.  And I usually see a film weekly. Still have not seen Letters from...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2007, 11:42:30 am »
The BAFTAs will be aired on BBC America on Monday, February 12 at 4:00 p.m. EST and on Tuesday, February 13 at 3:00 a.m.  Get your DVRs ready!  (They actually take place the evening before in London.)

I think United 93 should have been nominated, as I've said.  It was by far the most powerful film I've seen all year.  And it was extremely tastefully and reverently done without being the least bit manipulating.  I really appreciate that.

And as for The Departed - the more I think about it, it is just an extraordinarily good action movie.  And nothing more.  I totally agree that Scorsese should have won for Taxi Driver and the movie should have won as well.  Just another case of a masterpiece that didn't get its due but that has stood the test of time and will continue to.

Again, to the Academy, I say this:  Pffffffffffft. 
No more beans!