Author Topic: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!  (Read 44323 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2007, 08:47:32 pm »
Could you expand on your reasons for why that particular scene ruined the film's chances?
By that I only meant that it ruined its chances to be in MY top 5 list of BPs, not the academy's, lol!  I thought that scene was just silly.  The buiklding is collapsing and people are running up and down the stairs, taking the elevator even!  All the while, gondolas are slowly going by as if nothing was happening.  And why was it collapsing anyway? Something about those inflatable things at the bottom? I thought it went on way too long to be believable.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2007, 10:53:43 pm »
By that I only meant that it ruined its chances to be in MY top 5 list of BPs, not the academy's, lol!  I thought that scene was just silly.  The buiklding is collapsing and people are running up and down the stairs, taking the elevator even!  All the while, gondolas are slowly going by as if nothing was happening.  And why was it collapsing anyway? Something about those inflatable things at the bottom? I thought it went on way too long to be believable.

I know what you mean!  But I did think the CGI was pretty good.  It really looked like it was a collapsing palazzo.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2007, 11:47:33 am »
Just checking in to tell Eric:  You don't have to worry.  I am *still* not watching.  It's almost unfair how easy that is becoming to say and do.  The fact that those numbnuts even *nominated* "Letters From Iwo Jima" for Best Picture, which I think is a C+ movie AT BEST, and that they not only did that but they nominated Clint Eastwood (because God knows, you can't have a year in which he's made one or more movies and not nominate him for Best Director even though he really isn't that good a one) AND for Best Screenplay!!!  GAHHHHH!!!  That third one is the most egregious of all, since as I said in the "Resurrecting the Movies Thread" thread, I could poop better dialog.

The thing that makes not watching *so* easy is that I don't give a flying fig about any of the movies nominated.  I think they're all ridiculously over-rated, with perhaps the exception of The Queen which is a decent movie but seems to be just tacked on, somehow.  No one's even beginning to talk about that one.  It's like The Movie That Never Was.

I wouldn't even watch the BAFTAs this year if I didn't find Stephen Fry so darned entertaining and if they didn't at least have a few different categories of Best Pictures in which are included my two favorites of the year, United 93 and Pan's Labyrinth.

Again, it's just so damn easy not to watch it this year it's not even fair.  And no, me does not thinks the lady doth protest too much.  I AM NOT WATCHING IT!!!  And that's all I'm gonna say on the matter.  Not another word.  Total fucking silence...  ;)

No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2007, 11:56:03 am »
Ok then.  I trust you.  But if I hear you start to touch that dial, I'm leaving the Bay City screening and flying down there to Florida and I'm going to smack your hand!

;)  :D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2007, 12:58:32 pm »
I wouldn't even watch the BAFTAs this year if I didn't find Stephen Fry so darned entertaining and if they didn't at least have a few different categories of Best Pictures in which are included my two favorites of the year, United 93 and Pan's Labyrinth.

I love Stephen Fry, too, Barb.  He always strikes a nice balance between naughty and nice and actually uses the English language intelligently.  However, he's taking a vacation from BAFTA this year.  Jonathan Ross has been announced as the host:  http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957479.html?categoryid=1043&cs=1
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2007, 02:53:07 pm »
So Edna, you thought LETTERS FROM... was only a C+ movie?  And I was just going to see it just to piss off some conservatives who say this is an anti-American film.  I guess because it shows the other side.  Perhaps some said the same thing about ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT. Ppl didn't have a problem with GWTW and sympathizing with the destruction of the Old South's slave owning elite. "Yankees in Atlanta!"  You swear they were Mongol hordes, terrorizing Scarlett O'Hara. ;)

Yep, I always thought Eastwood being so California, it worked to his advantage.  It's a friend of mine's rationale of why if it's Scorsese (east coast where not many A.A. members live) against Eastwood, they give it to the California guy.   Should Woody Allen have won more Oscars?  ???  Of course, Ang Lee, a New Yorker, won best director last year.  Well they had to give something to BBM, I suppose. :(

Offline opinionista

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2007, 06:17:53 am »
I found this on CNN. It's interesting.

The curse of the Oscar

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- It's awards season in Hollywood, with all red carpets leading to the Oscars. But winning that prestigious award can sometimes lead to nothing more than bad roles and even oblivion.

"It's known as the curse of the Oscar, which is very real. The actor's ultimate dream can turn out to be the ultimate nightmare," said movie pundit Tom O'Neil, awards columnist for the Web site The Envelope.

Winners like F. Murray Abraham, Brenda Fricker, Linda Hunt, Marlee Matlin and Louise Fletcher are hardly household names despite earning the film world's most coveted award.

Other better-known Oscar winners, like Gwyneth Paltrow and Richard Dreyfuss, have complained that winning the award brought them personal and career troubles.

"Winners from Joan Fontaine up to Gwyneth Paltrow and Richard Dreyfuss have all said it was a curse," said O'Neil, noting the Oscar made Paltrow almost too expensive to hire at the age of 26, while Dreyfuss spiraled downward for a while with a high-profile drug habit and a string of flops after his Oscar win for his role in "The Goodbye Girl" in 1977.

Paltrow won for her leading role in "Shakespeare in Love" and has said she was unequipped to cope with the pressure, leading her to make several bad choices.

"I think part of the downside about being so successful and winning the Oscar at the age of 26 is that I sort of became insouciant about the things that I chose. I thought 'Oh, I'll just try this, it'll be fun or I'll do that for the money'. Things like that now I would absolutely never do," Paltrow was quoted as saying by the Internet Movie Database.

Louise Fletcher, who picked up the best actress award for her role as the inflexible Nurse Ratched in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," went on to scare up roles in such B-films as "Exorcist II: The Heretic," "Firestarter" and "Flowers in the Attic."

"It'll make you wonderfully happy for a night," Fletcher has said of winning the Oscar. "But don't expect that it'll do anything for your career."

Indeed, many winners seem to have sunk to new lows after Oscar victories. Halle Berry, Faye Dunaway and Liza Minnelli have all won both the Academy Award for best actress and a Razzie Award, the industry's version of an Oscar lampoon that is bestowed to the worst efforts of any given year.

After winning the Oscar for her turn in the 2001 film "Monster's Ball," among the first roles Berry was seen in afterwards was as a female superhero in action flick "Catwoman."

'F. Murray Abraham syndrome'
O'Neil said the list goes on and on, citing Oscar winners from Rita Moreno, who won for "West Side Story," to Dianne Wiest and Cuba Gooding Jr., who have all struggled to recapture glory after winning an Oscar.

"Sometimes people win because the stars are in alignment and the perfect actor found the perfect role at the right time, but that doesn't guarantee a lifetime of follow-ups to what may be serendipitous circumstances," said Leonard Maltin, film critic and historian with entertainment news program Entertainment Tonight.

He said the phenomenon is known in Hollywood circles as the "F. Murray Abraham syndrome," named after the well-regarded stage actor who earned the best actor Oscar for his role in the 1984 film "Amadeus" but has hardly been a big star since.

"He was great in 'Amadeus' and he's a fine actor but for whatever reason or combination of reasons, he didn't get the same opportunities again in film, although he's continued to work onstage," said Maltin, noting that Fletcher is the "poster girl" for the same phenomenon.

Maltin said various factors could play a part in why some actors never follow up their Oscar success, such as bad choices, bad luck, bad agents or letting the win get to their head.

"As tough as it is to make a career in the movie business, it's just as difficult to maintain one," he said.

Film critic Richard Schickel said he did not view an Oscar as a viable predictor of immortality for a star or a movie.

"People get carried away by a particular performance, but it doesn't mean the actor has a lot of long-term viability. The only worthwhile judge of careers is history," he said.

"It's the movies that we decide we'll go back to watch a decade or so later that remain important to people. Often a week after the Oscars ceremony, you can't even remember what won," he said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/31/oscars.curse.reut/index.html
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Karan13

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Fun loving open minded the future Mrs Depp or Gyll
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2007, 06:44:56 am »
Hey flash ,
               I agree with your predictions , but i`ve gotta say Helen Mirren is a great actress , she not up cause she has an english accent { as i do , as i am english} our actresses are more down to earth with their talents , it`s about producing great work not trying to be a size 0 like american actresses , kate winslett is another great actress , but most of her american press is about what size dress she can fit into .

The only change i`d like to see is Mark Walberg , pick up best supporting actor , he was great in the Departed.
Leonardo definately deserves best actor , he has matured and is producing some great work lately.

I think to be against the Oscars because of what happened to BBM is childish after all it`s what you take away with you from a movie ,that makes it a winner or not. xx
It`s not the breaths you take , it`s what makes you lose one !

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2007, 07:30:26 am »
Interesting article, Natali.

If history follows suit, I predict if Jennifer Hudson wins for best supporting actress, she'll be the one who ends up suffering from "F. Murray Abraham" syndrome.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2007, 07:36:44 am »
Interesting article, Natali.

If history follows suit, I predict if Jennifer Hudson wins for best supporting actress, she'll be the one who ends up suffering from "F. Murray Abraham" syndrome.

Leslie

Hopefully not. Do you think she'll win? The Academy rarely gives an Oscar to new comers. I just hope she doesn't become another cokehead a la Lindsay Lohan. Given the fact that she's overweight for Hollywood standards, she migh be pressured into doing the hollywood diet (i.e. snort coke).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:41:08 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.