Author Topic: Oscars 2007: To Watch or Not to Watch  (Read 11356 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Oscars 2007: To Watch or Not to Watch
« on: January 20, 2007, 07:16:52 pm »
So, if you're boycotting, what are you planning to do instead?  Screen BBM? 

If you are watching the Oscars this year, have your feelings still been changed about the Oscars (one way or the other) following the Brokeback fiasco last year?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Oscars 2007: To Watch or Not to Watch
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:11:37 am »
Did anyone even watch the nomination ceremony?  I didn't.  :-\

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 12:46:02 am »
Nope, not watching, not checking out the nomiation shows either.  What am I doing instead?  Whatever I want.  There are always other movies to watch, books to read, stuff to write, the net to surf. :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 12:47:12 am »
Nope, not watching, not checking out the nomiation shows either.  What am I doing instead?  Whatever I want.  There are always other movies to watch, books to read, stuff to write, the net to surf. :)

I totally agree Bud!  ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 09:17:01 pm »
I'm still not watching.  I'm planning to screen BBM instead.  Starting precisely at 8:00 p.m., EST.

I *will* be watching the Independent Spirit Awards the Saturday prior, though.  And looking forward to it more than ever since I am now a voting member of Film Independent.

;D
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 09:37:45 pm »
You need another option in the poll: I'll watch part of the Oscars. Because, knowing me, that's what I will do. I have never ever gotten through the whole show...not even last year. Now, I am grateful for that, since I didn't witness the BBM debacle. When I watch, I usually make it through about 75 minutes of the show (which generally gets me to best supporting actress) and then give up in boredom and frustration. This year...I may turn it on for my usual hour or so, or I may not bother, since the nominees are so dull.

I didn't watch the nomination annoucement, I didn't watch the Golden Globes...this year is more like my usual behavior. Last year, because of BBM, things were entirely different. And to be honest, I really miss that...it was fun last year, even with the disappointing outcome from the Oscars.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 11:46:05 pm »
OK Leslie!  :-*

I added two more options.  And, you should all be able to change your vote if need be!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 10:01:58 pm »
I will be watching the Oscars, and I have, for the most part, gotten over the heartbreak of last year.

Last year was probably the first time I really cared about who won, and I obviously was pulling for Brokeback Mountain to win in all of its categories.  This year I think I've only seen two of the films nominated for anything -- Little Miss Sunshine and Babel -- and I'm not pulling for anyone.  I'll be watching the Oscars purely for the sake of entertainment, the same way I watched in previous years, excluding 2006, of course -- to see who's wearing what, who flubs their acceptance speech, how the nominated songs are performed, etc., etc. -- but I don't care  about who goes home with what Oscar.  There's no chance of heartbreak this year.   :)

I am also hoping that Dakota Fanning presents nothing as she made me cringe last year.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 05:08:17 am »
I will not be watching.  Except for last year, when I watched on purpose, I may have paused while flipping past.  Now, I watch virtually no TV at all - only DVDs, so flipping past won't be an issue.  With any luck I'll be in MI or comfy watching my DVD at home.
 8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 06:29:07 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 06:06:59 pm »
I'll watch some.  I'm curious about what Ellen might do.

Also, I'm a sucker for the "In Memoriam" segment.  That's often the only part they get right.