Author Topic: Anyone have stats on how many DVD's sold last week?  (Read 7261 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: Anyone have stats on how many DVD's sold last week?
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 11:49:55 pm »
On trade publication Home Media Retailing's video rental chart, "Brokeback" bowed at No. 2, with estimated rental earnings of $6.3 million, a tad shy of the $6.4 million earned by "Kong" its second week out. "Narnia" debuted at No. 3, with rental earnings of $6.1 million.

The rental figure is interesting.

One, I think the fact that BBM is an adult movie means that people will rent it through out the week, so it's rental time is longer. Where as Narnia is consider more a family film, so parent will wait until the weekends to rent it for family nights. It's revenue generating potential is limited to just the weekends for the part. At my local rental store, it's very evident. During the week, I couldn't find a single copy of BBM in the store, while copies of Narnia sat collecting dust. Tonight is when the Narnia copies began to move.

Two, it kinda help explain the sales figure. Despite the box office success, there are a good many people who still haven't seen the film. They less likely to go ahead and buy the dvd without having seen it. They're going to rent it first before deciding if they want to buy it. Where as with Narnia, most people who have interest will have already seen it, and will have already decide if they want it. I think Narnia sales will continue for a couple more weeks, where as BBM sales will stay longer on the charts. We'll see.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.