Author Topic: Ennis in Jack's room . . .  (Read 3033 times)

squashcourt

Ennis in Jack's room . . .
« on: January 23, 2007, 08:18:32 pm »
Hi,

I that a tear under Ennis's left eye or just a light reflection.  :(

I know this is not much of a thread but what do you think it is?

Pierre -  ;)

injest

Re: Ennis in Jack's room . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 08:20:07 pm »
Hi,

I that a tear under Ennis's left eye or just a light reflection.  :(

I know this is not much of a thread but what do you think it is?

Pierre -  ;)

tear...definitely!

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 08:22:02 pm »
Yes, I agree with Jess--we definitely see a tear here.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 08:38:15 pm »
On the subject of Ennis's tears, the one in the motel scene, when he says 'and I'm stuck with what i got..' always gets me,

At least I think there is a tear then....

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:45:48 pm »
On the subject of Ennis's tears, the one in the motel scene, when he says 'and I'm stuck with what i got..' always gets me,

At least I think there is a tear then....
It's possible, though I've never discerned one at this moment. No question that Ennis is deeply disappointed with his life at this point, as Jack is likewise hurt and scared that Ennis will once again elude him (I get the feeling here that Jack is holding on to his cowboy for dear life).

One of the most subtle manifestations of tears in the film is when Jack is driving out of Signal and watching Ennis in his rear-view mirror--you can see the tears begin to well up in his eyes at this moment. This is but one illustration of the quiet power of the film's performances.

squashcourt

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 09:13:58 pm »
(I get the feeling here that Jack is holding on to his cowboy for dear life).

One of the most subtle manifestations of tears in the film is when Jack is driving out of Signal and watching Ennis in his rear-view mirror--you can see the tears begin to well up in his eyes at this moment. This is but one illustration of the quiet power of the film's performances.

No doubt about the holding - Ennis sure does his share of that also (the grasped sliding of his hand over Jack's arm. 

Many scenes in the movie are but brief which contributes to the fact, I believe, on what could have followed thereby not having us image or ask "what if . . ."

Affectionately,

Pierre -  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:00:07 pm »
Pierre -

I just double checked. It's definately a tear.

If you pause your DVD player just as Ennis sets the toy horse back down on Jack's desk (159:21) you will see the tear. Pause the DVD player at the exact moment he puts the toy back on the desk, zoom in on Ennis's face and press the F.ADV button 5 times. There is one or two frames where you can clearly see the tear.   
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.