Author Topic: You know you're a Brokaholic when...  (Read 40527 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: You know you're a Brokaholic when...
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2007, 01:47:26 am »
Mel  :laugh:

I was watching a movie preview the other day, and some woman almost got hit by a car.  Instantly, I thought "Hey asshole, watch where you're goin'!"  ::)

I was doing the New York Times crossword, and the clue for 113 Down was "literary monogram."  The answer was EAP.  You can't tell this Brokie that it was referring to Edgar Allan Poe.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2007, 10:23:09 am »
(Also, when your child sees the cover and says "Mommy, look, that's Jack!")

Aww, that's so cute!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2007, 12:08:17 pm »
 :) 
The answer was EAP.  You can't tell this Brokie that it was referring to Edgar Allan Poe. 

ok - maybe my brain is not working correctly today but who else has that monogram?? ???
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2007, 12:09:50 pm »
:) 
ok - maybe my brain is not working correctly today but who else has that monogram?? ???

I believe Meryl is referring to the goddess herself:  E. Annie Proulx.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2007, 12:13:12 pm »
 :)  sorry, I never knew she had a E (first name) or went by anything other than Annie Proulx, or if I did, it was temporarily lost in the vast labyrinth of my somewhat still-working brain :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2007, 12:18:05 pm »
The E stands for Edna.

From Wikipedia:

Edna Annie Proulx (pronounced /pru:/) (born August 22, 1935) is an American journalist and author. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for fiction in 1994. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. Brokeback Mountain received massive critical acclaim and went on to be nominated for a leading eight Academy Awards, winning three of them. She won the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction for her first novel, Postcards. She has written most of her stories and books simply as Annie Proulx, but has also carried the name E. Annie Proulx.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2007, 12:18:48 pm »
I think she first published under the name E.A. Proulx to conceal the fact that she is a woman (writing about all that butch stuff, after all :)); later E. Annie Proulx; and now just Annie Proulx.  

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2007, 12:35:02 pm »
I think she first published under the name E.A. Proulx to conceal the fact that she is a woman (writing about all that butch stuff, after all :)); later E. Annie Proulx; and now just Annie Proulx. 

Yes, that is what I have heard.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Scott6373

« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2007, 12:50:18 pm »
Twisting this topic on it's head.

I'm in need of consolation and support because I don't feel I am a broke-a-holic anymore.  Don't need to see the movie, read the book, disect, discuss, fantasize, cry over...am I sick?  :(

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2007, 01:02:32 pm »
Twisting this topic on it's head.

I'm in need of consolation and support because I don't feel I am a broke-a-holic anymore.  Don't need to see the movie, read the book, disect, discuss, fantasize, cry over...am I sick?  :(

Aw, Scott, there there.

Perhaps you're an evolved Broke-aholic.  I can't help but notice that you are here at BetterMost quite often.  Nothing wrong with wanting to discuss other stuff that interests you with all the lovely people around here. 

I think this was part of Phillip's vision anyway;  that we would move on from the story but remain a community. 

Paul