Author Topic: You know you're a Brokaholic when...  (Read 40155 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: You know you're a Brokaholic when...
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2006, 05:20:41 pm »
When you've incorporated BBM slang into your daily English.

WHen your watching the rodeo on ESPN, checking out the cowboys, wondering if one of them is a "Jack Twist."

When you don't wanta go see any movies because a new standard has been set. Few films ever deliver at that level. Now going to a film seems more like going out to Burger King for dinner.   

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2006, 09:21:07 pm »
Sure enough, KD
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2006, 01:51:28 pm »
LOL Karl, you make me laugh! :laugh: Especially the last one I was sat here watching the Little Mermaid last night and I was just sat here with my arms crossed looking all grumpy and my sister was like, "What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you so grumpy?" I shoffled my feet on the floor and mumbled, "Not as good as Brokeback". She did not believe what I had said cause when I was little it was one of my favourite films and I would never ever bad mouthed it. ::)

I have a few more for the list:
* when your moblie knows how to spell Brokeback Mountain and BBM cause you have written it so many times and it now is in your moblie's predictive text memory.
*When you mumble your family say,"Have you been taking elocution lessons from Ennis again?"
*You boo when you see Randy Quaid movies!
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2006, 04:35:47 am »
When you don't wanta go see any movies because a new standard has been set. Few films ever deliver at that level. Now going to a film seems more like going out to Burger King for dinner.   

Amen, kd.  Amen.

I used to love the movies. Now there's this upwelling of disappointment everytime I buy a ticket! Its like "well, it can't possibly measure up, so what's the point??"  ???

S'cause a you, Brokeback, that I'm like this... why can't you just lemme be, hunh?
Chut up!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2006, 05:00:51 am »
Hey Becks.  Did you know that the Little Mermaid was written by HCA as a gay story?  The "Land People" represented homosexuality, and Ariel was a closet.  Ursula was the underground go between (thus the tranny characterisation in the film), and the voice symbolised virginity.  I believe that Hans made Ariel female to give more license to campness without being obvious. 

True story.., learned all that at Uni no less!

Perhaps that will help you enjoy the film more next time.  It worked for me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 05:12:30 am by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2006, 10:15:55 am »
I'm not sure I follow all that, Ray. I can see the relation of the vioce to virginity, and thus the story becomes a "cast from the Garden of Eden" fable. But to understand the rest I will have to reread the original HCA story. There was a great book called "Women Who Run with the Wolves" which reexamined classic stories and myths from the viewpoint of women's archtypes. I wish there were such a book for homosexuality too. Perhaps there is...anybody know of one?

To add another point on the original theme of this thread, you know you're a Brokeholic when somebody's going to Casper for a business trip, and you ask them to bring you back a roughneck! Course, they think you're talking about sun block...

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2006, 11:53:48 am »
Hey Becks.  Did you know that the Little Mermaid was written by HCA as a gay story?  The "Land People" represented homosexuality, and Ariel was a closet.  Ursula was the underground go between (thus the tranny characterisation in the film), and the voice symbolised virginity.  I believe that Hans made Ariel female to give more license to campness without being obvious. 

True story.., learned all that at Uni no less!

Perhaps that will help you enjoy the film more next time.  It worked for me.

Wow I never knew that, but I can see how it would work...All I really like are the songs. ::) But it is good to know. I have also watched TLM since I was a teenager and noticed that the priest "Moves"(As David would say...Aww I miss him! :'() while conducting the ceremony between Ursula and Eric. :o But whilst I was searching you tube I found these interesting videos while searching through all of the Japanese versions. You my find the last offensive, I must warn you, but I found it bloody funny, which probably shows how sick my sense of humour is:

Here you go Ray, a song from your favourtie Tranny characterisation(it becomes a completely different song once you know about the story):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDOiaG_Xno

This is what the real one looks like(in case you didn't know and to compare):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcCjjEeEb3Y

This is the funny, but could be offensive, version. Lets just say The little mermaid pines for...uh... the full human experience(This one kinda blows your theory out of the water! Ba doom doom tisch! :laugh:):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXz24KjdLeY

Enjoy!
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2006, 01:56:21 pm »
...when the board screen is glaring because you've been staring at the blue chat screen too long!

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2006, 02:22:57 pm »
There was a great book called "Women Who Run with the Wolves" which reexamined classic stories and myths from the viewpoint of women's archtypes. I wish there were such a book for homosexuality too. Perhaps there is...anybody know of one?

This is one of my greatest interests, analysing folk and fairytales, and this book is on my to read list cos someone I know told me it was very good. I just finished the Trials and Tribulations of Little Red Riding Hood, which was very interesting (Yes Bex, here goes me with my LRRH obsession again).
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2006, 05:28:15 pm »
LOL LRRH obsession! I think we should re-publish our plays on the pollution thread...What do you think?