Author Topic: You know you're a Brokaholic when...  (Read 40535 times)

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
Re: You know you're a Brokaholic when...
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2006, 05:33:21 pm »
I tell you Bex, it's so bad!! When I was reading the book I kept having fantasies about Jake The Wolf...

Good plan, we'll just have to go back and find them!
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2006, 02:14:14 pm »
Earlier on this thread I promised to post a picture of my son in the cowboy hat he has outgrown and I'm offering to send it to Sheyne or anyone else who wants it. Well, here it is. BTW, it has a "kitten finish."

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2006, 03:52:00 pm »
You gotta TRANSLATE into Engish:

At the bank yesterday, the teller assked me, "You DO want this printed out for your records, don't you, Mrs. Vognar?"

Well, obvioiusly, the logical answer to this is "Do I look like I can afford a fuckion' ropin' horse?"

I had to think for a few minutes befroe I came up with  "Do I look like the kind of person who keeps records?"

he laughed, and said "You're a very funny girl, Julie." God, if her knew HOW funny...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2006, 06:40:06 pm »
That is funny, Julie! And in answer to your question about your avatar, I'm amazed and impressed that you coordinated them so well!

TJ

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2006, 08:21:22 pm »
Other than the fact that I use the "F" word only for acts of sexual intercourse and the "S" word for defecation and manure, most of the vocabulary words and phrases used in the book and the movie are just common words and phrases known to me or even used by me.

My father grew up in the OLD West side of Oklahoma in what was known as the Cherokee Strip before Statehood and his father had been one of the Boomers in the 1889 Land Rush there. (A "Sooner" was a person who staked out his 160 acre homestead claim ahead of time and that was an illegal act. Boomers were not law breakers.)

Dad went to be with the LORD in Feb. 1994; but, I think he would have understood many of the expressions Annie Proulx used in her story. He stopped cussin' in the late 1930s; but, he did quote people sometimes when he wanted to prove a point and a cuss word was in the quote.

I have Cowboy Slang book that has the "teeth, popcorn, jug" expression in it under the "Homely" phrase section.

If I want people to think I am attempting to talk like a red-neck (includes so-called cowboy slang), I use the rinkworks.com's "Dialectizer's redneck program.

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/

Here's a copy of what I wrote "Dialectized:"

Your Text, Dialectized (redneck)
Other than th' fack thet ah use th' "F" wo'd only fo' acks of sexual intercourse an' th' "S" wo'd fo' defecashun an' manure, most of th' vocabulary wo'ds an' phrases used in th' book an' th' movie is jest common wo'ds an' phrases known t'me o' even used by me. Mah Pappy grew up in th' OLD Wess side of Oklahoma in whut was known as th' Cherokee Strip befo'e Statehood an' his Pappy had been one of th' Boomers in th' 1889 Lan' Rush thar. (A "Sooner" was a varmint who staked out his 160 acre homestead claim ahaid of time an' thet was an illegal ack. Boomers were not law busters.) Paw went t'be wif th' LORD in Feb. Well bust mah britches an' call me streaker. 1994; but, ah reckon he'd haf unnerstood menny of th' expresshuns Annie Proulx used in her sto'y. He stopped cussin' in th' late 1930s; but, he did quote varmints sometimes when he wanted t'prove a point an' a cuss wo'd was in th' quote. ah have Cowfella Slang book thet has th' "teeth, popco'n, jug" expresshun in it unner th' "Homely" phrase seckshun. Eff'n ah's hankerin' varmints t'reckon ah's attemppin' t'talk like a red-neck (includes so-called cowfella slang), ah use th' rinkwawks.com's "Dialeckizer's redneck program, dawgone it.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2006, 12:12:10 am »
LOL at that Redneck thang, TJ.  That thar innernet done got somethin' fer dadblame ever'body, dontcha know!  ;D

I saw a bottle labeled "Annie's Cowgirl Ranch Dressing" today at the grocery store and almost bought it out of a sense of duty.  ;D

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2006, 02:01:15 am »
 :D :laugh: I love this thread  :laugh: :D

Well, I went out and bought a new TV in honor of purchasing this DVD.  It was the logical thing to do.

I've been eating beans a lot more than I normally would.

I start lots and lots of sentences with "Tell you what..."  I feel that this is subtle enough not to draw too much attention to myself.  But, sometimes it just comes out without me thinking about it now too... like second nature.

I feel guilty when I walk by BBM display stands at stores like Barnes and Noble when I don't buy anything.  I mean, I have the DVD, soundtrack and book already... but still I feel wrong just walking by.

I've been listening to the soundtrack almost non-stop for weeks and weeks, and I really don't like country music. ??? ::) :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2006, 08:56:40 am »
I'm with you, Amanda. Methinks they'll have another book, expanded soundtrack, and special DVD coming out soon for us deprived folks if those marketing folks are smart.

Since there are no more BBM things to be had, I've been shopping for campgear and Western wear lately. I was so envious of the New Yorkers that got together that, tell you what, I made a pilgrimage to Rockmount yesterday. That's where the Western shirts and other gear came from that the cast wore. It was a lot of fun. I took pics which I'll have on the site in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

I bought a beautiful navy with white stripes shirt with diamond pearl snaps. It is just the perfect thing to spiff up the navy banker's suit that I have to wear occasionally when clients are coming into the office. I am fortunate enuf to live in Denver so I can indulge my Western wear fantasy as often as I like without people looking at me like they all know. Altho occasionally, someone will say, "Uh, Lee, the stock show is over, you can go back to wearing your regular clothes." These ARE my regular clothes anymore...!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2006, 11:17:02 am »
When you don't wanta go see any movies because a new standard has been set. Few films ever deliver at that level. Now going to a film seems more like going out to Burger King for dinner

Guilty!

You know you're a brokie...

When "you bet" and "tell ya what" lately belong to your daily vocabulary - but your native language is German.

When your husband's denim shirts are the first of all his shirts to be washed and ironed.

When you can't see sheep or simply hear the word "sheep" without smiling 360 degrees (and you doubt this effect will vanish ever again).

TJ

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2006, 02:42:53 pm »
Oh, I already have Western style clothing like that in the movie. I never really started to have complete Western, aka  "cowdrag," outfits until after I left the closet and started going to the Rawhide C&W Club in North Hollywood, CA in 1984. Ed made sure that I had a real cowboy straw hat to wear and we went to a Western store down in Hollywood so that he could buy me one. The place was going out of business and the hat we found was sold at a cheap price. I still have that hat. And . . . it's not in a closet. It's on a shelf in the bedroom.

I actually have had no changes in the way that I talk or the way that I dress in public after seeing Brokeback Mountain on the wide screen at the Multiplex Theater.