Author Topic: Another good read!  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
Another good read!
« on: April 14, 2006, 04:29:29 am »
I had recently purchased the book Enchanted Love: The Mystical Power of Intimate Relationships Much of the second chapter has a great deal to offer, I think, particularly as it seems to capture the painful momentum of this film and of Jack and Ennis's relationship. Where you see parenthesis, I have edited the original text a little to include some post remark or to better fit in with the film so that it makes more sense.

"How weak we are when we are not yet ready to let love rip us open. Is this thought - (that a person's love cannot transform the person to whom it is devoted) - really to be heralded as some kind of wisdom? It is not wisdom. It is a poisonous emotional pesticide that kills the fruits of love. It is a denial of the deeper regions of the heart, a resistance to the experience of freedom, an anguished, 'No, I cannot go.' when someone has said, 'Come with me now. My love is the key to your prison door.'(*)

Such thinking, if not outgrown, is the deepest trap of all. It is not a repudiation of powerlessness, but a commitment to it. It is the cornerstone thought of a small and ultimately unlived life.

The miracle of love is expressed through other people. When a beloved is sent from God - and no one can tell you if they are, but the spirit within you - then they do hold the key to your soul's liberation. God has given it to them. They contain, in every touch and sigh, the information you need, the miraculous power to alchemize your weaknesses and turn them into strengths, to dry your tears and turn them into genius, to release your chains and set you free to be your passionate self at last. Woe to the one who does not yet know enough to say a deep and robust 'Yes!' to such love, to bow before its truth, to be humble before its power, to surrender to the gales of wind that storm through lovestruck hearts.

How tragic it is when we are too arrogant to defer to love, to put all small considerations aside and say, 'I am going there.' How stupid it is to say no to the power of God's loving choice for us. How sad it is to think so little of ourselves that we cannot believe that he or she who stands before us, sent by God, is an angel to give us wings (*). We have so little awe these days before the mysteries of the universe.

Yet if we are in the habit of denying God, then of course we deny His angels, too. And they hold, like pietas, the bodies of our unchosen loves. Angels weep - because their hearts are open - and I think God weeps as well to see such joy denied. And you continue to pray for what you've already received, and will one day realize that what you let fly by was a miracle intended to heal you. You might even say so, but by then it will probably be too late.

Angels do not light for long; they fly away when love denies them. They do not linger in the regions of earthly fear. Angels only come to pick up passengers, to fly away with them to paradise. Everything else is so ultimately silly, and everything else is so sad.

There is one more thing to know about the angel who came for you. The angel who came to fly you to paradise in reality had only one wing. (He) needed the angel in you to come forth, to be to (him) what (he) was willing to be to you. Thus your need for, your dance, your flight with each other. Together, you had one set of wings.

Next time (he) comes - whoever (he) is - perhaps you will not deny (him). Next time (he) comes, be humble before God. Next time (he) comes, admit your pain. Next time (he) comes, come forth yourself. Next time (he) comes, let go your resistance.

Next time (he) comes, be brave."

Postnotes

"My love is the key to your prison door." I posted "an interesting story" from The Five Stages of the Soul in this forum as well - as a seperate topic. This particular statement is interesting because of the archetypal imagery found in that story which now seems to resonate with more meaning thanks to this writing.

"wings" - This writing uses "wings" repeatedly. Gives a whole new meaning to the final piece of music with the same title, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 04:35:45 am by Daniel »
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Another good read!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 12:50:39 pm »
...........the photo doesn't show that there are two fully formed and spread wings inside...
CLICK TO ENLARGE
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 12:52:22 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 02:19:42 pm »
E.M. Forster's "Maurice," and his short stories, "The Lfe to Come," "The Dreyfus Affair,"  (hey, lighten up some!), the detective stories of Michael Nava, and (if not totally gone) the novels of Karen Allen...

And if you want to unkink yourself (afraid thius is only for women--I don't knoiw why, but I doubt there's a single man on earth that has read the Booker-prize winning novel): "Possession," A.S. Byatt.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 04:37:10 pm »
Am reading three very good books at the moment... ..I cant just do one I love books so much..

just started on Anthony Swafford's Jarhead....and after the first chapter I love how he writes.....never thought I would ever read a war related book but this one is different.....

it has these wonderful insights into the human spirit and what happens when a young man is trained to fight.....as a woman it gives me an insight I cannot have. I would love to talk about it with my friend that went to the gulf as a soldier but he cant bring  himself to talk about  it.....so reading this  helps me a in a nutshell catch a glimpse at what tore up his heart and wounded his spirit so...

The other  book is one by the Dalai Lama on Happiness.

the 3rd Soul  Mates by Thomas Moore. I have had Soul mates on my bookshelf for along time but after the BBM experience I read it with new insights. Its not a dating book but one that looks at the soul and its role in our relationships. It is deep, heavy  and insightful and needs  time for ponderig and reflecting on....but it yeilds up wonderful observations and illuminations.

so that are my reads for now...

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 12:12:09 am »
Yes, I love Thomas Moore as an author. I also enjoy John O'Donohue. If you can find his book: Beauty, the Invisible Embrace I highly recommend it. It has become my personal bible.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 11:25:53 pm by Daniel »
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.