Author Topic: Am I Nuts???  (Read 12636 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Am I Nuts???
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 09:19:30 pm »
Here's what I find ominous about this tent scene.  I think it's meant to be sweet and reassuring to see them spooning.  A sign of their continued comfort together, and probably a sign of Ennis's physical response to Jack's "sometimes I miss you so much..." comment.  But, I think the real sign of trouble is the lack of the moon.  Back on the old board there was a moonlight thread that had some really interesting insights... also the thread about Chinese mythology had some points on this too. 

The idea was that the full moon symbolizes true lovers coming together.  So, right before Jack and Ennis intiate physical contact in the first tent scene there's a deliberate cut to the night sky.  The full moon is shown emerging from behind the clouds.  Then again during the "prayer of thanks" talk the full moon is bright and obvious.  There are probably other examples... but these two will do.  In this last tent scene the sky is dark and cloudy.  On the other hand, their tent is blue here and blue seems to represent love in the movie.  So, it's nice that they're still snuggling in their blue cocoon.  I certainly don't think they're love is gone (quite the opposite, I think they love each other just as much... their situation has just worn them down and their love has evolved over such a long time). I think the loss of the moon is mainly a sign of the tragedies ahead.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 09:35:43 pm »
If you're still wondering what the open matte frame looks like, check it here.   ;)  Not much different, but I do think that is part of the sleeping bag.

I still haven't caught that hand holding in the first tent scene!

You can see pretty good shots of it here and here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:56:51 pm by two_bloody_shirts »
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 10:45:30 pm »
I love this place.  Anything you ask for you get. 
I, too think that is the sleeping bag.  If you look at his shoulder, it seems his arm is by his own side.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 11:06:22 pm »
Here's what I find ominous about this tent scene.  I think it's meant to be sweet and reassuring to see them spooning.  A sign of their continued comfort together, and probably a sign of Ennis's physical response to Jack's "sometimes I miss you so much..." comment.  But, I think the real sign of trouble is the lack of the moon.  Back on the old board there was a moonlight thread that had some really interesting insights... also the thread about Chinese mythology had some points on this too. 

The idea was that the full moon symbolizes true lovers coming together.  So, right before Jack and Ennis intiate physical contact in the first tent scene there's a deliberate cut to the night sky.  The full moon is shown emerging from behind the clouds.  Then again during the "prayer of thanks" talk the full moon is bright and obvious.  There are probably other examples... but these two will do.  In this last tent scene the sky is dark and cloudy.  On the other hand, their tent is blue here and blue seems to represent love in the movie.  So, it's nice that they're still snuggling in their blue cocoon.  I certainly don't think they're love is gone (quite the opposite, I think they love each other just as much... their situation has just worn them down and their love has evolved over such a long time). I think the loss of the moon is mainly a sign of the tragedies ahead.

Ooooooh!! Good one, Amanda! That sounds exactly right. The moon is such an obvious part of their togetherness from the start.

And I like your way of describing their feelings at this point -- not out of love, just worn down.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2006, 11:08:51 pm »
Awww, thanks friend!
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2006, 02:49:28 am »
If you're still wondering what the open matte frame looks like, check it here.   ;)  Not much different, but I do think that is part of the sleeping bag.

I still haven't caught that hand holding in the first tent scene!

You can see pretty good shots of it here and here.

Oh Grace, thank you for these.  Okay, I almost believe. 

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2006, 04:10:54 am »
And who knows, we just see that they are wearing shirts.  Who knows what their pants are doing.  Maybe they fell asleep with Jack pulling Ennis close in.

Oh my God! I just checked that link to the picture and to me it looks like Jack's head is resting on a pair of jeans; does anybody agree?

:o 

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2006, 06:51:53 am »

Hrmmm... no, sorry, Anke. I will have to disagree there. It looks to me like a blanket.. but what... o what a fantasy that image would be if it were true, hunh??  ;D
Chut up!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2006, 07:16:22 am »

Hrmmm... no, sorry, Anke. I will have to disagree there. It looks to me like a blanket.. but what... o what a fantasy that image would be if it were true, hunh??  ;D

Your're right. At second inspection it does indeed look more like a blanket. Sigh.....  ::)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2006, 01:38:03 pm »
I think the loss of the moon is mainly a sign of the tragedies ahead.

And another ominous portent (though this doesn't involve the tent scene) is the talk about cold. Jack's, "Gonna snow tonight, for sure," is a reminder of the snow that spelled the end of their summer on Brokeback. Of course, we see the next morning that it hasn't snowed. So they're still together for now.  But then, Jack complains about the cold! So things aren't looking great for them.

"Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved."