Author Topic: Brokeback DVD First Week Sales  (Read 1861 times)

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
Brokeback DVD First Week Sales
« on: April 14, 2006, 06:00:58 pm »
Finally!

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" easily topped the national DVD sales chart for the week ending April 9, while the previous week's top seller, "King Kong," notched a second round atop the rental chart.

"Brokeback Mountain" finished a distant second its first week in stores, barely outselling third-ranked "Kong." "Brokeback" distributor Universal said the gay cowboy romance sold 1.4 million DVDs its first day in stores, while first-day sales for Disney's "Narnia" were pegged at 4 million units.

Best-picture Oscar winner "Crash" jumped six places to No. 6 thanks to the release of a two-disc director's-cut edition of the Lionsgate title. The only other new release to make the top 20 was the third season TV-DVD of "Full House," at No. 15.

On trade publication Home Media Retailing's video rental chart, "Brokeback" bowed at No. 2, with estimated rental earnings of $6.3 million, a tad shy of the $6.4 million earned by "Kong" its second week out. "Narnia" debuted at No. 3, with rental earnings of $6.1 million.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

So BBM was #2 for sales and rentals.  That's still pretty damn good considering it was up against 100 million+ mainstream films.  Still doesn't say exactly how many it sold for the week, only the 1.4 million 1st day. 
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
Re: Brokeback DVD First Week Sales
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 06:22:58 pm »
Ohhh it is still good news! I have a feeling it will do even better in the UK though, cause it had ALOT of coverage on the news and alot of good reviews in all the mags over here. Plus it did win the BAFTA and I think that more people are attracted to a DVD if it says BEST FILM on it in big letters.And of course no one will buy anything other than BBM cause I will have my UK team out covering Narnia and Kong displays all over the UK. Muhahaha my plan is working!
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.