Author Topic: BetterMostian Activity at the Brokeback BBQ2007 in Estes Park, Colorado  (Read 11919 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: BetterMostian Activity at the Brokeback BBQ2007 in Estes Park, Colorado
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 05:01:11 pm »
(is there such a thing as horsefront riding, Front-Rangerwants to know?).

Yes, but it can be dangerous. I was going to mention Catherine the Great of Russia learning this the hard way. But About.com says that's a myth, that she died in bed of illness.

http://europeanhistory.about.com/od/catherinethegreat/a/histmyths1.htm

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 10:12:31 pm »
Heya,

I voted for "park touring", hayride and of course re-enactments (how could I not vote for that one... in this case I'm mostly picturing BBM charades!  :D ).

What exactly would "park touring" entail?  I've never been to Colorado, so seeing the sights sounds good to me.  Hiking and photography would be fun too.  I could imagine combining those two into "park touring."  The hayride dinner sounds great.

I will want to pet the horses, but not ride them.  I do actually know how to ride a horse, but it's an activity that makes me nervous.  I do like horses though.

Can't wait!!!  Whoo-eee!!!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 10:21:51 pm »
Yes, I'm a low-startle-point horseback rider myself. Any horse that I saddle immediately wants to run off at a gallop!! (That also accounts for most of the stallions I've saddled in my life too LOL!)

Park touring would be driving around in Rocky Mountain National Park, one of the first areas to be named a national park, destination of millions of visitors throughout the world each year, and home of the highest paved road in America!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2007, 08:03:12 pm »
Friends, Brokies, and BBQers! We are now firming up the slate of activities for Sunday at the BBQ in Estes Park, Colorado! We are trying NOT to overmanage this, just to facilitate. The main thing is to make available a place to assemble, a way to get any equipment needed, and a person to be the point person to organize these activities. If you'd like to be such a point person, please PM me!! I'm planning to head up park tours in the morning, and a photo hike in the afternoon. As far as scene reenactments and BBM-related contests and such go, I'm toying with the idea of having those in the late afternoon just before departing on our dinner hayride, oand/or during the hayride itself. Let us know your thoughts!

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2007, 03:39:26 pm »
Well, hi,

I'm only a very new Bettermoster (registered for the chat, normally on DC Forum) -- but since I'll be there on Sunday, I'll be interested in Scrabble if you have it going.  I'm one of those older indoor types. 

I voted for miniature golf, too, but I hope ability doesn't count -- it's been years -- decades!
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club

What exactly would "park touring" entail?  I've never been to Colorado, so seeing the sights sounds good to me. 

You'll love the area. I'm not going to the event, but if the tour includes the Big Thompson Valley area, don't miss it; simply wonderful. This was sadly a site of a great tragedy in 1976 when a flash flood swept through, but it was and now remains one of my favorite places. enjoy!

moremojo

I know I signed up my mom and myself for the hayride dinner, so we'll need to redline it back from southern Wyoming later that day. Good thing we'll be heading for that Cowboy State line in the morning.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Scoop on the horse back and the Hay ride from LoveEmBoys:

Horse Back Rides:  We're scheduled for the

3:30 Deer Meadows ride -- which is the "easy" ride on the reg form.  13 people registered for that.
4:00 Glacier Basin ride - slightly more challenging ride on reg form.  10 people registered for that.

Riders -- be sure to bring long pants, and absolutely no open-toed shoes for the ride.  Hard soled shoes are best (not sneakers in other words)

We can add people, as long as there is space available.  Since these are regularly scheduled rides, there MAY be other people on the ride with us, but they might also just take the 10/13 of us out as a group.

And she fussed at me because I'm after the 1 month deadline, thus don't qualify for the group rate technically, but I fussed back harder at her and pointed out that we are also doing the hay ride... so she said she'd just give us the good rate.   

Hay Ride:
The question came up on the chat session last week about whether there actually was hay on the wagons or not.  Turns out there IS. (yea for the authenticity!)    If you have allergies to grass, they recommend you take allergy pills before the ride.  We can also bring blankets to lay on top of the hay.  If you are allergic to mold -- I really don't think this will be much of an issue, because unless you are opening the bale and separating flakes, if there is any mold in the bales it should just stay put.   Regardless, if you have severe allergies and there is no way you want to ride in the wagon, they can provide a map for where the dinner will be and those folks can hike it easily.

The Hayride picks up at the livery at 5:00 pm.  So those going on the Glacier Basin ride will just be returning.  Those on the Deer Meadows ride should plan to hang out for 30 minutes at the livery.  Obviously non-riders going on the hay ride should plan to arrive at the livery between 4:30 and 5 anyhow.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
The miniature golf course.

moremojo

That's just about the most beautiful setting for a miniature golf course I've ever seen! I second my earlier vote for miniature golf. :D