Author Topic: Sublette County, Wyoming in the Feb. 5 New Yorker  (Read 6696 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Sublette County, Wyoming in the Feb. 5 New Yorker
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 04:27:11 pm »
Xcuse me, but I am proud to have my book discussion thread of The Virginian on the Anything Goes site. Books and beefcake, they go together like birds of a feather!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 07:39:08 pm »
I thought those roughnecks would like some more upscale shopping instead of a Hooters ;D. They probably making alot of money and got to spend it on something.  Certainly make more money then those guys on the rodeo circuit and they aren't interested in that scene..

I'm sure the Alaskan oil boom brought in alot of outside forces which clashed with the local culture.  They was such a labor shortage, way back in the 1970's and early 1980's, they were bringing up ppl from TX and LA.  I can't imagine transplants being interested in  the Iditarod Sled Dog Race Tour. I mean what's the point of it all.  ;)  Poor dogs.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:57:32 pm »
From what I've heard, the Alaskan roughnecks drank, gambled, and fought a lot. And probably visited prostitutes, though the people I know go into Gentleman Mode and don't talk about that sort of stuff in front of me. Stories I've heard sound very depressing, like any gold rush except with Seasonal Affective Disorder on top of it.

I don't know anyone who has had a good thing to say about Prudhoe Bay.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 07:11:01 pm »
It's really hard to understand what these rough rural places of the West are really like...when I went to Wyoming recently, my husband didn't understand why I couldn't call him or he couldn't call me on my cell phone...no service in those backwards areas!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 03:24:29 pm »
I'm reading this article now, and reading The Cowboy Way at the same time...about two different groups of hard-working menin the West. And I'm gonna "compare and contrast"!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 01:02:41 am »
This is the same general area that Annie Proulx was talking about in her lecture at the Center of the American West back in November that was covered in Social Events. She has a book coming out this year about The Red Desert that seeks to promote conservation of the area, but it may be too late if the energy boom continues as it has.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 01:30:21 am »
Quote from "Boomtown Blues" by Alexandra Fuller:

"The house is furnished for people whose most important reference point is the land: rugged carpet, a couple of bottomed-out sofas, a utilitarian coffee table, and a woodstove....On the wall above the python's cage was a framed pencil drawing of Licking at eighteen, in his heyday as a bareback rider. Next to that were several professional photographs of bucking horses ridden by him as a young man, his spurs digging into the horse's flanks, his face hidden behind his cowboy hat, his hand in the air as if in a black-power salute."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 10:08:18 am »
This is the same general area that Annie Proulx was talking about in her lecture at the Center of the American West back in November that was covered in Social Events. She has a book coming out this year about The Red Desert that seeks to promote conservation of the area, but it may be too late if the energy boom continues as it has.

Thanks for that, Lee. I remembered reading about Annie's talk about the Red Desert, and when I read the article I wondered whether Sublette County was considered part of that region, but the term Red Desert wasn't used, and when I looked on my Wyoming map, I thought perhaps Sublette County was too far north.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 10:10:38 am »
Quote from "Boomtown Blues" by Alexandra Fuller:

"The house is furnished for people whose most important reference point is the land: rugged carpet, a couple of bottomed-out sofas, a utilitarian coffee table, and a woodstove....On the wall above the python's cage was a framed pencil drawing of Licking at eighteen, in his heyday as a bareback rider. Next to that were several professional photographs of bucking horses ridden by him as a young man, his spurs digging into the horse's flanks, his face hidden behind his cowboy hat, his hand in the air as if in a black-power salute."

"Licking" is one Levi Licking, a subject of the article, who grew up in Sublette County. He's a former rodeo rider who now works as a roughneck. He and his wife have a pet python.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 10:42:48 am »
Thanks for that, Lee. I remembered reading about Annie's talk about the Red Desert, and when I read the article I wondered whether Sublette County was considered part of that region, but the term Red Desert wasn't used, and when I looked on my Wyoming map, I thought perhaps Sublette County was too far north.

Annie was asked about the northern border of the desert, and she said it was roughly along I-80, which includes Rock Springs, Rawlins, and Green River. The county also includes a saddle of the Rocky Mountains between the Teton Range to the north and the Medicine Bows to the south and east. Gale-force winds that fell semis (see my posts in Anything Goes), and thousands of Antelope move through this area every year. Last fall, Pete and I traversed the Muddy Gap over the Rockies and visited Independence Rock where pioneers left their messages.