Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205453 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2130 on: August 22, 2007, 08:56:16 pm »
Marie, you have written some some really really fabulous drabbles.

I just needed to say that.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2131 on: August 22, 2007, 10:06:14 pm »
      Wylie was back first thing in the morning.  “Tell you what, I’ll drive.”
      “Pickup won’t hold us all.”  Ennis sopped up his eggs.
      “My F-150 SuperCab will.”
      “It’s a overnight stay.”
      “Packed cousin Jack’s old tent and my new one, camp stove too.”
      “Kid, you’re like a bear with an itch.”
       Mattie’s eyes teared up.  “I’m not goin.  Ranch needs tendin.”  She sighed.  “I said my goodbyes a long time ago.  This trip is for you folks... and Jack.”
       Mrs. P. put her arm around Mattie’s shoulders.  Ennis looked tense.
       Wylie held up his keys.  “We goin or not?”

100 words
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:06:10 pm by Clyde-B »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2132 on: August 23, 2007, 01:15:30 pm »
            Mattie’s eyes teared up.  “I’m not goin.  Ranch needs tendin.”  She sighed.  “I said my goodbyes a long time ago.  This trip is for you folks... and Jack.”

Sniff.  And they're bringing Jack's old tent. 

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2133 on: August 23, 2007, 01:17:17 pm »
In honor of tomorrow's Open House  :):

• open
  • house
  • potluck

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Dagi

« Reply #2134 on: August 23, 2007, 02:46:33 pm »
Hey Drabblers,

I´m enjoying this thread so much, thanks for all these wonderful little pieces!

Dagi

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2135 on: August 23, 2007, 03:18:29 pm »
Lazy L Farm, Quanah, TX
August, 1981

“Ya know Ennis,” said Jack, “in a few weeks it will five years since you became the official owner of the Lazy L.”

Ennis nodded. “Yeah, I was thinkin a that the other day.”

“Mebbe we could do somethin ta celebrate…have a party or somethin. Like an open house.”

Ennis looked at Jack, surprised. “A party? I ain’t much for socializin. What would we do for food?”

“I dunno. Keep it simple. Make it a pot luck. Ask folks to bring stuff, appetizers or whatever.”

Ennis thought for a minute, then looked carefully at Jack. “Cowboy, I’m not sure I am ready ta let the whole town of Quanah know how we’re livin out here.”

“Well, we could pick and choose who we’d invite…”

“Yeah…tell ya what, Jack. Give me some time ta get used ta the idea, okay? Then mebbe we can do it.”

“Okay…any idea when that will be?”

Ennis looked into the distance over Jack’s shoulder. “Oh, I dunno…mebbe in 1986 or thereabouts?”

Jack nodded. “Works for me. I ain’t goin nowhere.”

(177 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2136 on: August 23, 2007, 03:45:42 pm »
Hey Drabblers,

I´m enjoying this thread so much, thanks for all these wonderful little pieces!
Dagi

Nice to see you, Dagi - thanks for stopping by!

Lazy L Farm, Quanah, TX
August, 1981
Ennis looked into the distance over Jack’s shoulder. “Oh, I dunno…mebbe in 1986 or thereabouts?”

Jack nodded. “Works for me. I ain’t goin nowhere.”

1986. LOL!  Nope, ain't goin nowhere.  That's for sure.  I love these guys.   :)  Thanks, L.

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2137 on: August 23, 2007, 03:49:16 pm »
A Curve in the Road

Supper had been potluck tonight; Mama and Daddy still hadn't returned from their yearly trip to see the banker.  They ate in silence, and he couldn't help noticing how often his sister's eyes veered to the window, her head tilting slightly as she listened for the old pick-up on the gravel drive. There was still no sign of them by dark when he got ready for bed and the sound of his siblings' voices, hushed and indistinguishable, made his stomach clench.

By the time the deputy approached the open door of the old ranch house, the die had been cast. There was only one curve on Dead Horse Road, but this would be only one of many times Ennis del Mar would have to stand what he could not fix. 

~~~~~~~
130 Words

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2138 on: August 23, 2007, 09:15:36 pm »
Greetings ladies & gents.

I got a dabble today!  :)

All this teasin'...

Ennis looked over his shoulder at the house and smiled at the fine-looking sight that greeted him.  Jack was leaning against the door post - his strong hand roaming leisurely along the trail of fine, dark hair on his firm belly; his jeans were riding low on his hips and he wore a devil-may-care, sassy smile on his lips.  Fuck.  At this rate, there is no way he would ever be able to get anything done, what with Jack hanging around teasing the way he was carrying on.

In a few short moments, Ennis could feel Jack’s persistent hand traveling down his open fly.  He could feel the sensations spread all over his body as he pressed himself onto the pleasuring hand.  He was just about to call out his lover’s name when –

“Ennis?”  His eyes flew open when Alma spoke softly as she leaned in closer to him, her left hand buried in his shorts.  “I think this is working.  Maybe we can try again tonight?”

~167 words

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2139 on: August 23, 2007, 10:52:18 pm »
Circle JE Ranch, sometime

"Jack, cut that out. Ain't gonna do it out here in the open."

"Ah, c'mon, Babe, just for me? Huh? Just this time. We ain't never done it like this before in the yard, no one's around, just you and me, no one'll see or know, so let's do it."

"No way, nope, gonna head back inta the house and we can do it in there."

"You're afraid you'll like it, that's what it is, isn't it?  Afraid you'll wanta do it over and over again out here, all summer long.  Ennis is afrai-d, Ennis is afra-id, Ennis..."

"Dammit, only one way to shut yer fool mouth up, isn't there?"

"Yup."

"Ain't gonna take no fer an answer, are ya?"

"Nope."

"Well, okay, I'll do it, but only ta shut ya up, understand.  Here goes.  But don't blame me if I burn them steaks on this here 'highbachee' thing. If I do, it'll be yer fault we have to have potluck instead of porterhouse tonite."

Word count: 168 [so, I'm making up for not posting for awhile. And, thanks to Leslie for the idea.]