Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205129 times)

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2160 on: August 28, 2007, 02:30:30 pm »
Circle JE Ranch, sometime.

The cool evening breeze swept across the campsite, bringing soft scents of pine, lake water, and everything else forest.  He loved this time of day high up in the shadows of the towering mountains.  Closing his eyes, he could easily conjure up images of their first weeks together, lazing by the fire, working the sheep, talking about all things that came to mind, making love - yeah, that's what it was even then - in that musty tent, but especially that early morning hug before work broke them apart for another few hours.  He wiped the tears from his eyes, blaming it on the smoke, and shivered.  If only... but if wishes were horses, he'd have a bigger herd right now. 

"Babe, you alright?" The voice broke through his rememberings, and the hand on the back of his neck brought warmth to the intense chill he'd felt coursing through him.

"Ya," he replied. Looking down he interlaced the fingers of his right hand with the those on the right hand of the blue-eyed man he shared his life with.  "Never been better.  We should come back more often."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2161 on: August 28, 2007, 02:37:20 pm »
“Yeah, y’know, those beds that fold up inta the wall. In fact,” he mused, “mebbe the Murphy’s bed Murphy invented Murphy’s law when he got folded up inta the wall because believe you me, that is some aggravatin shit!”

He he.

I didn't know that these kinds of beds are called Murphy's bed. You live and learn.

And I LOVE it when Jack call Ennis "En"  :).

Congrats on 100.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2162 on: August 28, 2007, 04:26:05 pm »
                                          The dreaded Murphy Bed

"  I once slept on a Murphy bed," Jack said as he lay back on the bedroll with Ennis.  "But you know what?  I would gladly sleep on that damned thing right now instead of this hard fuckin cold
ground."  Ennis opened one sleepy eye, raising his eyebrow, and having a grin start to form around the edges of his mouth.  "Well Jack, if you can figure some way to get one of them things up here, and find a place in this here tent for it...Ill gladly sleep on it with ya..."  Jack just smiled, and turned over to go to sleep.  Then said "there outta be a law!"

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2163 on: August 28, 2007, 07:27:43 pm »
My first time to hit exactly one hundred words! Enjoy!
“Yeah, y’know, those beds that fold up inta the wall. In fact,” he mused, “mebbe the Murphy’s bed Murphy invented Murphy’s law when he got folded up inta the wall because believe you me, that is some aggravatin shit!”
:laugh: :laugh:  I needed your boys today, Leslie.  Thanks!  And Yay! for the 100 Words! 

"Ya," he replied. Looking down he interlaced the fingers of his right hand with the those on the right hand of the blue-eyed man he shared his life with.  "Never been better.  We should come back more often."
cwby, your drabbles always leave me happy.   :)

.....  "Well Jack, if you can figure some way to get one of them things up here, and find a place in this here tent for it...Ill gladly sleep on it with ya..."  Jack just smiled, and turned over to go to sleep.  Then said "there outta be a law!"   
Nothing like some Jack and Ennis banter!   ;D

I'm glad my crappy day inspired some great drabbles.   :laugh:

Marie
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:39:28 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2164 on: August 28, 2007, 07:33:10 pm »
Jack's Law

He scraped the mud off the bottom of his boots as best he could and looked at the coffee stains on his shirt. Damn. How could they look worse than before?  Making a dash through the pouring rain he checked his watch; he was late and Bobby's teacher already had an attitude toward him.  Murphy's Law was kicking his ass today, for sure.   

But a smile lit his face as he thought of yesterday's postcard. "…. see you on the 15th…."  Fuck Murphy.  Nothing in this world could keep him from his fishing trip next month.  That was Jack's Law.

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2165 on: August 28, 2007, 08:38:32 pm »
Marie - I hope you found something to smile about at the end of your crappy day (just like you found something for Jack to smile about in the rain)!

:)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2166 on: August 28, 2007, 09:46:45 pm »
Aww, thanks Kelly.  The great drabbles always make me smile, and your kind words sure did too!   :)

Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2167 on: August 29, 2007, 07:51:36 am »
Hi everyone,

For today:

• geography
  • fruit salad
  • lemon yellow/lime green

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2168 on: August 29, 2007, 12:25:57 pm »
A Good Motto

He relished the presence of his girls, but always felt a little awkward on these weekends.   Junior was at the table, bent over her schoolwork, and he peeked over her shoulder cautiously. 

"Geography.  My teacher says some people can't find the U.S. on a map!" Junior shook her head in disbelief and laughed. "We're studying Texas now."

Ennis looked closely at the map Junior was coloring, focusing on the panhandle, and he couldn't help himself from touching the paper and smiling as he saw the words printed at the top, a lump forming in his throat.  Texas State Motto:  Friendship. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2169 on: August 29, 2007, 12:40:34 pm »
A Good Motto

He relished the presence of his girls, but always felt a little awkward on these weekends.   Junior was at the table, bent over her schoolwork, and he peeked over her shoulder cautiously. 

"Geography.  My teacher says some people can't find the U.S. on a map!" Junior shook her head in disbelief and laughed. "We're studying Texas now."

Ennis looked closely at the map Junior was coloring, focusing on the panhandle, and he couldn't help himself from touching the paper and smiling as he saw the words printed at the top, a lump forming in his throat.  Texas State Motto:  Friendship. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Marie!!!

That was great - somehow simultaneously cute, funny, happy, and heartbreaking!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:24:43 pm by notBastet »
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger