Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205301 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2190 on: September 02, 2007, 08:43:09 am »
Marie, that was clever and cute. Thank you! And Janice, I enjoyed yours too.

For today:

• bow and arrows/archery
  • adolescent
  • apple pie

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2191 on: September 02, 2007, 10:30:39 pm »
Lucky Gal

"That looks great, Mary Sue, thank you kindly."

Mary Sue's favorite customer gave her one of his heart-stopping smiles as she placed the extra-large slice of apple pie in front of him. She returned the smile and turned away slowly, reluctant to leave. Smiling, friendly, quick with a kind or funny word, he always made her day a little brighter.

He was alone today, but sometimes his wife came in too and, naturally, she was drop-dead gorgeous and rich to boot.  She sighed. What a perfect life they must have. Lureen Twist had to be the luckiest gal in Texas.

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2192 on: September 02, 2007, 10:45:12 pm »
Another lovely drabble, Marie. :D Thank you!

And a thank you to all the Drabblers - such a variety of stories to enjoy every day. :-*

Fern
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2193 on: September 03, 2007, 12:49:46 am »
Flipping channels, Ennis happened to catch part of a talk show.  There was a lady on there, looked a bit like his sister, but actually reminded him more of Alma.  Talked nice, but you knew down deep she wasn’t happy. She was talking about adolescents, how different growing up was nowadays, how much more dangerous and scary the world was.  How you really needed to spend time with your kids, make sure they knew how to handle themselves, blah, blah, blah.

Screw that, Ennis thought. 

He chuckled a little, remembering.  He had done adolescence just fine.

The hard part was what came after.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:12:25 am by notBastet »
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2194 on: September 03, 2007, 01:08:08 am »
from a prompt from a few days back...

October 6, 1968, full moon, eclipse

The shadow spread across the moon, like rust growing fast enough to see it eating into the side of an old white truck, already pocked and pitted with scrapes. Gashes and bullet holes blooming dark under the shadow's touch. He knew what it was, seen it before, changing the color of the air he breathed when it came in the day, but now, changing the light that played across the face of the man sleeping in his arms, coming as it was in the night. He tried to tell himself it was no more than the color of firelight, what he wanted to see, what had brought in this year and the last more peace than he'd thought ever possible for him -  the flickering gold light of the campfire across Jack's face, as he held him, close enough to be in the warmth, barely out of reach of the sparking embers. But this light was thick and red, spreading across Jack's face like blood from wounds Ennis couldn't find to staunch. That spread across his scarred hands as he pulled Jack tighter to him. That he couldn't hide either of them from, even here, away from everything. He stayed awake and waited for it to pass, telling himself it would, willing himself to just feel Jack breathe,  to just feel Jack's heart beating, steady and strong, against his arms.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:12:53 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2195 on: September 03, 2007, 08:40:18 am »
Morning all,

Since it is Labor Day here in the US, let's go with...

• Labor Day
  • worker
  • end of summer

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2196 on: September 03, 2007, 11:28:51 am »
He chuckled a little, remembering.  He had done adolescence just fine.

The hard part was what came after.

Ain't that the truth!  That was excellent, Kelly, so very Ennis! :) 

from a prompt from a few days back...

October 6, 1968, full moon, eclipse

The shadow spread across the moon, like rust growing fast enough to see it eating into the side of an old white truck, already pocked and pitted with scrapes. Gashes and bullet holes blooming dark under the shadow's touch. He knew what it was, seen it before, changing the color of the air he breathed when it came in the day, but now, changing the light that played across the face of the man sleeping in his arms, coming as it was in the night. He tried to tell himself it was no more than color of firelight, what he wanted to see, what had brought in this year and the last more peace than he'd thought ever possible for him -  the flickering gold light of the campfire across Jack's face, as he held him, close enough to be in the warmth, barely out of reach of the sparking embers. But this light was thick and red, spreading across Jack's face like blood from wounds Ennis couldn't find to staunch. That spread across his scarred hands as he pulled Jack tighter to him. That he couldn't hide either of them from, even here, away from everything. He stayed awake and waited for it to pass, telling himself it would, willing himself to just feel Jack breathe,  to just feel Jack's heart beating, steady and strong, against his arms.

Fern, that was beyond amazing.  It's a joy to experience writing so exquisite. That will stay with me for a long time. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2197 on: September 03, 2007, 11:41:04 am »
Just a quick note to let you all know I'm still enjoying your stories. Keep on drabbling  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2198 on: September 03, 2007, 12:12:00 pm »
Monday, September 3, 2007
Lazy L Ranch
Quanah, TX

Ennis swung his legs over the edge of the mattress, hoping not to disturb Jack, but he did, anyway. Jack reached out a hand and grabbed his wrist. “You don’t need ta get up so early,” he said. “It’s Labor Day…a holiday.”

“Horses ain’t gonna feed themselves,” said Ennis, looking back over his shoulder.

“Bobby’s comin in at 7.”

“I know, but…”

“But what? It’s 5:30, En. Come back to bed.”

“I don’t want you ta think I’m queer, here, Jack…”

“You are queer.”

“I mean corny queer, not queer queer. But anyway, I really miss Twister.” Just saying the name caused Ennis’s eyes to fill with tears.

“I know you do, babe. He was a good friend.”

Ennis nodded. “Yeah…and some mornings, I like ta go down ta the stable, when it’s all quiet, before Bobby’s there, and just look at his stall. Have a few good memories of my old friend.”

Jack smiled at Ennis, then let go of his husband’s wrist. “Give me a second to wake up. I’ll come with you.”

Ennis smiled, brushing his eyes with the back of his hand. “Thanks,” he said softly.

(199 words)

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2199 on: September 03, 2007, 09:34:43 pm »

It was decided.  They would go to Brokeback.  Wylie drove first,  he knew the way out of Lightning Flat like a man escaping prison.  Ennis rode shotgun, Mrs. P. sat behind next to the cooler of sandwiches and drinks Mattie Twist had packed.  Labor Day and the end of summer had long passed.  Kids in school, weather turning cold, campers, if any, would be sparse.
    Mrs. P. proved herself a real worker, driving the backroads as well as the paved.  Ennis took the wheel when they neared Signal; as if retracing a haunted pilgrimage, Jack’s ashes always by his side.

100 words