Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205244 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2210 on: September 05, 2007, 02:29:40 pm »
I love logging on and finding drabbles waiting for me!

The Glare of the Sun
“Hey” he said.  He turned to the man with the thick grey hair beside him, then he looked at her again.

“Hi” Cassie finally managed to say.
Well, you can't leave us hanging there!

Jack nodded. “I might get ideas for too much stuff ta keep ya awake…after ya rested up a bit.”

Ennis looked at him with a smile. “See ya upstairs, cowboy.”

“Will do,” answered Jack, with a knowing wink.
You better rest up real good, Ennis!  ;D

I always thought he wanted a lot, but really it wasn't too much, and what I gave him was always too little, still he always came back for what I could give him, and now it's too late to give him what I should have given all along. So, I'll give him as much as I can for the rest of my life.  

"Jack, I swear..."
Very touching, cwby. 

The sky turned rose amber, shadowy silver clouds floated like silent inclusions above the grey green. 
What a gorgeous sentence, Clyde. 

Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
October 23, 1976
Ennis looked at his bowl then back at Jack. “How long did this take ya ta make Jack?”

“’Bout a day.”

“I can see why my momma was excited when they invented the stuff in the can.”

:laugh:  Yeah, me too.  I love how Jack keeps pointing out the differences.

Jack was startled a few moments later when his Ma knocked on the door and entered the little room with more goodies and beverages on a tray.  He scrambled to cover the bulge that had developed in his shorts from his interrupted reverie. I might feel like shit but at least that one part of me is still working just fine; he smiled to himself…
Hee Hee!  Maybe Mama Twist should try some of that canned soup Ennis was talking about!   ;D  Great to see you, M!  Cool new moniker! 

Thanks, all
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2211 on: September 05, 2007, 02:33:55 pm »
Moment of Grace

As they made their way up into the boneless blue, Jack felt a rare peace settle over him, what his mama would call a moment of grace, and he was pleasantly surprised that he could sense it in Ennis, too.  My God, no one sat a horse like that man, Jack thought, as he had so many times.  Head held high, shoulders squared and relaxed, he had a suppleness that spoke to his affinity with his animal. 

As he watched Ennis turn through a narrow pass that opened onto a meadow scattered with wildflowers, he sensed his mama's presence and heard her soft voice offering a benediction in his ear:   My beloved is gone down into his garden, to the beds of spices, to feed in the gardens, and to gather lilies. I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine….

~~~~~~~
140 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2212 on: September 05, 2007, 10:16:34 pm »
Moment of Grace

As they made their way up into the boneless blue, Jack felt a rare peace settle over him, what his mama would call a moment of grace, and he was pleasantly surprised that he could sense it in Ennis, too.  My God, no one sat a horse like that man, Jack thought, as he had so many times.  Head held high, shoulders squared and relaxed, he had a suppleness that spoke to his affinity with his animal. 

As he watched Ennis turn through a narrow pass that opened onto a meadow scattered with wildflowers, he sensed his mama's presence and heard her soft voice offering a benediction in his ear:  My beloved is gone down into his garden, to the beds of spices, to feed in the gardens, and to gather lilies. I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine….

~~~~~~~
140 Words

Hi Marie, I just wondered if that was from anything in particular?  It's beautiful.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2213 on: September 06, 2007, 06:34:03 am »
Hi all,

For today:

• first day of school
  • marbelized composition book
  • #2 pencil

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2214 on: September 06, 2007, 08:23:56 am »

Ennis rushed through the brushwood, Wylie and Mrs. P. close behind.  The forest broke, they found themselves on a rocky shelf atop a sheer cliff a thousand feet or more, the wind howled.  Below that lay a canyon, another hundred foot drop.  Where the sun met the horizon, the orange sky faded to a pale chicken soup yellow painting the mountains as charcoal gray silhouettes.  Pleasantly surprised, Mrs. P. gasped.
    “Found this huntin strays.  Them tiny lights is Signal.”
     Wylie peered over the edge, a rock beneath his foot broke loose, hurtled downward, he lost his balance and pitched forward.

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2215 on: September 06, 2007, 01:04:51 pm »
Hi Marie, I just wondered if that was from anything in particular?  It's beautiful.
Hi, Kelly - Yes, that is a bible verse from "The Song of Solomon."  I think it's beautiful, too - and it's one of Mrs. Twist's favorites.   ;)

Wylie peered over the edge, a rock beneath his foot broke loose, hurtled downward, he lost his balance and pitched forward.
Holy Crap, Clyde!

Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2216 on: September 06, 2007, 01:23:59 pm »
Ten year old Ennis Del Mar pulled the black and white composition book towards him and opened it to a clean page. He picked up his #2 pencil and held it in his hand. For homework, his teacher had asked them to find out the meaning of their first name. My name is Ennis Del Mar he wrote in large cursive letters, a flourish on the top of the “E.” My momma told me that Ennis means ‘island.’ Del Mar means ‘the sea.’ So my name means, ‘island in the sea.’ He looked out the window at the brown, dusty plains, thinking about his name. My brother and sister have family names, but my momma just picked Ennis for me. She said she didn’t know why.

Ennis Del Mar, he thought. Island in the sea.

(137 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2217 on: September 06, 2007, 03:27:51 pm »
Ten year old Ennis Del Mar pulled the black and white composition book towards him and opened it to a clean page. He picked up his #2 pencil and held it in his hand. For homework, his teacher had asked them to find out the meaning of their first name. My name is Ennis Del Mar he wrote in large cursive letters, a flourish on the top of the “E.” My momma told me that Ennis means ‘island.’ Del Mar means ‘the sea.’ So my name means, ‘island in the sea.’ He looked out the window at the brown, dusty plains, thinking about his name. My brother and sister have family names, but my momma just picked Ennis for me. She said she didn’t know why.

Ennis Del Mar, he thought. Island in the sea.

Ahhh, Leslie....that is wonderful!  I love the "flourish on the top of the "E". 

Thanks,
Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2218 on: September 06, 2007, 03:31:24 pm »
School Days

Jack surveyed the list and sighed, wishing Bobby were with him. He was gonna screw this up, for sure. Book bag, crayons, crayon box (didn't crayons come in a box?), ruler, 6 #2 pencils (exactly 6? - and what was the obsession with #2?), pencil box, (another box!?), 2 pink erasers, rounded scissors (rounded?), 6 pocket folders with brads (what the hell were "brads"?), glue or glue sticks (glue came in sticks?), 4 spiral notebooks–wide ruled, 1 composition book–wide ruled (weren't they the same thing?),  1 package index cards, paint smock with name, 1 set of water colors, 2 boxes of Kleenex…….

He thought back to his first days of school in Lightning Flat – lunch in a paper sack and, if he was lucky, a nub of pencil behind his ear.   

~~~~~~~
130 Words

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2219 on: September 06, 2007, 03:36:55 pm »
Marie, that is great! That's the way I feel when I go school shopping, fer sure!

L