Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205251 times)

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2250 on: September 12, 2007, 02:58:19 am »

Interlude One
Jack was sitting on the couch waching televison when Ennis came out of the bedroom. 

"Hey bud," said Ennis sitting on the couch next to Jack.

"Hey," replied Jack.

Ennis put his feet up on the coffee table, but Jack was too engrossed in the movie he was watching to notice the socks Ennis had on.  they were blue on the toes and heels, red in between and had little grey spots all over.

"You wanna beer?" asked Jack as he got up to go to the kitchen.

"Sure," replied Ennis.

As Jack returned to the couch witht the beers he happened to notice Ennis's socks.

"What the hell kind of wacky socks are those?" he said pointing at Ennis's feet.

"You like?" Ennis asked wiggling his toes and smirking,
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2251 on: September 12, 2007, 09:01:34 am »
     Wylie gently removed Ennis’s hand from his crotch.  Ennis’s eyes opened.  Half remembering, half not, he saw Wylie holding his wrist, jerked his hand away, went to stand, hit his head on a tentpole and plopped back on his butt.
     “Shit!”
     “Ennis, you was dreamin.”
     Ennis breathed deep, resisting engagement in a fight.  He sat knees up, hugging his legs, head
bowed. 
     “Let’s get some sleep.”  Wacky red-striped socks stuck out from Wylie’s bedroll.
     Ennis said nothing.
     “You just gone a sit there?”
     Silence, except for falling water in the river.
     Wylie tossed him a blanket.  “Cover up, you’ll freeze.”

100 words

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2252 on: September 12, 2007, 11:42:31 am »

we can give these a try.

Habit
      Packing
      Preparation

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2253 on: September 12, 2007, 01:02:16 pm »
Bleeding Heart

"Look, Mama, it's bleeding." Francie held up her thumb.

Alma sighed and took her hand.  "Honey, I've told you that's what'll happen if you keep biting at it."

Ennis gave Francie a sympathetic smile.  "Guess you got that bad habit from me, darlin."

"My teacher said it takes three weeks to stop a habit," Junior chimed in.  "If you can stop doing something for just 21 days, you won't want to do it anymore." 

Ennis turned away and grabbed a beer. Three weeks?  Those college-educated teachers didn't know shit.   He'd stopped for four years.  Only made him want Jack more.

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2254 on: September 12, 2007, 01:47:24 pm »
.......Jack liked to skinny dip.  Ennis liked to watch him skinny dip. ......
Now, there's a pleasing image, Janice.   ;)

And Jack laughed, too.

What else was he gonna do.

Sit there and listen to the howling inside that hardly never stopped? 
So poignant, Fern.  And a great choice of words  This makes me think of Quicksilver Jack. 

"What the hell kind of wacky socks are those?" he said pointing at Ennis's feet.

"You like?" Ennis asked wiggling his toes and smirking,
Ennis in wacky socks.  I love that.   :laugh:  I hope this means there will be an Interlude Two.

Wylie gently removed Ennis’s hand from his crotch.  Ennis’s eyes opened.  Half remembering, half not, he saw Wylie holding his wrist, jerked his hand away, went to stand, hit his head on a tentpole and plopped back on his butt.
     “Shit!”
     “Ennis, you was dreamin.”
     Ennis breathed deep, resisting engagement in a fight.  He sat knees up, hugging his legs, head
bowed. 
     “Let’s get some sleep.”  Wacky red-striped socks stuck out from Wylie’s bedroll.
     Ennis said nothing.
     “You just gone a sit there?”
     Silence, except for falling water in the river.
     Wylie tossed him a blanket.  “Cover up, you’ll freeze.”
I really like Wylie (and his socks). 

Thanks, all
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2255 on: September 12, 2007, 06:52:52 pm »
Quote from: mariez

"My teacher said it takes three weeks to stop a habit," Junior chimed in.  "If you can stop doing something for just 21 days, you won't want to do it anymore." 

Ennis turned away and grabbed a beer. Three weeks?  Those college-educated teachers didn't know shit.   He'd stopped for four years.  Only made him want Jack more.

Wow. Beautifully said.
So true, so to the point.

Quote from: mariez
So poignant....This makes me think of Quicksilver Jack. 
Thanks, Marie.
Yep, that drabble just might find its way into a chapter one of these days months.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2256 on: September 13, 2007, 03:10:28 am »
Jack had had it with Ennis they had another fight earlier that day, it seemed that was all they did anymore was fight about everything.  That sweet life that Jack had wanted wasn't so sweet anymore.  Ennis just didn't get it, he thought jack wanted them to be more public, but Jack didn't want that, which he had tried to explain practically every time they fought, Ennis just wouldn't listen.  All Jack wanted was to exchange rings or something, he knew they couldn't be legally married, but who cared about legal all that mattered was what was between them. 

At that particular moment Jack was in their bedroom packing a back, he had decided to get away from Ennis for a few days.  he needed time to think and he was sure Ennis needed time to chew on things for awhile.  Decisions could be made when he got back.  Jack was thinking about leaving Ennis anyway, sure he loved Ennis and wanted to be with him more than anything, but not like this, fighting every time they turned around.  most of the fights weren't even about the real problem either.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2257 on: September 13, 2007, 09:42:15 am »

Ennis woke stiff, Wylie was gone.  Coffee perked on the campstove. 
     The river rippled, Wylie’s cotton-tail butt broke the surface, he kicked his legs and submerged.  This was where Ennis taught Jack that swimming naked meant you never knew what might nibble your bait. 
     Wylie stood up, fine dark hair stuck wet to his lean chest.  Water deep enough for modesty, shallow enough  to reveal a thicker thatch below his navel.  He pushed wet hair from his eyes.  “Start packing after breakfast.  Got a towel?”
     Ennis spat.  “You in a habit a runnin around naked in preperation for a funeral?”

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2258 on: September 13, 2007, 12:38:34 pm »
....Yep, that drabble just might find its way into a chapter one of these days months.

Ahh...I had a feeling it would.  And fast or slow, Fern ....well, you know the rest.    ;)

......  most of the fights weren't even about the real problem either.

That's true for so many arguments...and so sad.

Ennis spat.  “You in a habit a runnin around naked in preperation for a funeral?”

That's our Ennis.  As usual, I can't figure out where you're going, Clyde.  And as usual, I like that.

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2259 on: September 13, 2007, 12:40:27 pm »
Happy Thursday  :)  How do these sound:

• shoot the breeze
  • mediocre
  • intuition

Marie