Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205185 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2260 on: September 13, 2007, 08:39:13 pm »
The Last Time

She'd woken with that uneasy feeling, as if she'd had a terrible dream that she couldn't piece together; but, instead of subsiding with her morning chores, the sense of foreboding only grew stronger. 

She chided herself as she changed her dress for the trip into the city; she was much too practical for that women's intuition nonsense.  But on her way out, she couldn't resist giving her youngest – her baby - one more kiss, watching his mouth curve into that slight smile she held so dear, carrying it with her as she walked out the door for the last time. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2261 on: September 13, 2007, 10:53:09 pm »
   “Daddy, how do you how to spell mediocre?”

“Hmnn, I’m not sure lil girl.  Sorry.” 

That’s what you get for not finishing high school, Ennis scolded himself, not for the first time.

“What are you working on, anyway?”

“It’s a creative writing assignment for English class.”  She put down her pencil and turned to look at her father directly.  “I am trying to write a story about a girl who feels just average, like she’s not good at anything.  But then something special happens, and she realizes that she is really a good person and shouldn’t be so down on herself.  I don’t have all the details worked out just yet,” she smiled shyly at her father.

“Well, it sounds real good honey. I’m sure you’ll do a great job.”
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2262 on: September 13, 2007, 10:55:42 pm »
The Last Time

She'd woken with that uneasy feeling, as if she'd had a terrible dream that she couldn't piece together; but, instead of subsiding with her morning chores, the sense of foreboding only grew stronger. 

She chided herself as she changed her dress for the trip into the city; she was much too practical for that women's intuition nonsense.  But on her way out, she couldn't resist giving her youngest – her baby - one more kiss, watching his mouth curve into that slight smile she held so dear, carrying it with her as she walked out the door for the last time. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

:(

Oh Marie, that is a bit devastating...
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2263 on: September 14, 2007, 02:54:28 am »
When Jack told Ennis that he was leaving for an few days, there weren’t words to describe how Ennis felt.   He knew that it was his fault that Jack was leaving , what he had feared was going to happen had come to pass.  Ennis knew that the wonderful life he had shared with Jack had been good, but it had changed to mediocre in the past few months .  He knew it was the fighting, but he really didn’t understand what the problem was.  He thought is was because he didn’t want to be more public, but Jack had put a stop to tha thinking real quick.  Jack hadn’t really been to clear on what was the real issue.  Ennis didn’t want to ask even though he knew it was the right thing , because he knew it would just upset Jack more. 
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline maria47

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #2264 on: September 14, 2007, 09:24:25 am »
Hello cwby,
you managed to make me post a comment on bettermost the first time. Usually I never go to any forum but I followed your link from bbs and started reading your drabble. Hey it's so great, I love Ennis and Jack living together. Will hurry to read the rest and then all chaps of the wedding reception.

Now I'll press the "Post" button and hope this will reach you

Thank you
Maria

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2265 on: September 14, 2007, 11:39:17 am »
Mornin', Maria.

It did, as did your comments on BbS.  Appreciate them.

Thanks again. 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2266 on: September 14, 2007, 12:52:41 pm »
   “It’s a creative writing assignment for English class.”  She put down her pencil and turned to look at her father directly.  “I am trying to write a story about a girl who feels just average, like she’s not good at anything.  But then something special happens, and she realizes that she is really a good person and shouldn’t be so down on herself.  I don’t have all the details worked out just yet,” she smiled shyly at her father.

“Well, it sounds real good honey. I’m sure you’ll do a great job.”

Aww, I love these daddy-daughter moments.   :)

:(

Oh Marie, that is a bit devastating...

I know, Kelly.  Sorry about that.  Depressed myself with that one, but it's just what came out. 

When Jack told Ennis that he was leaving for an few days, there weren’t words to describe how Ennis felt.   He knew that it was his fault that Jack was leaving , what he had feared was going to happen had come to pass.  Ennis knew that the wonderful life he had shared with Jack had been good, but it had changed to mediocre in the past few months .  He knew it was the fighting, but he really didn’t understand what the problem was.  He thought is was because he didn’t want to be more public, but Jack had put a stop to tha thinking real quick.  Jack hadn’t really been to clear on what was the real issue.  Ennis didn’t want to ask even though he knew it was the right thing , because he knew it would just upset Jack more. 

A big difference between talking and communicating, isn't there?  Very touching.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2267 on: September 14, 2007, 12:53:47 pm »
Here are some TGIF prompts: 

• lather
  • rinse
  • repeat

:)
Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2268 on: September 14, 2007, 04:15:35 pm »
Secrets

Sitting in the plush lobby of her favorite hair salon, Lureen flipped quickly through the pages of the magazine.  From Flab to Fab in 14 Days!  101 Best Beauty Secrets!  What To Do When He Won't Listen!

Won't listen?  Ha!  How about when he barely looked? She sighed. It had been a long, long time since he'd even seen the direction she was going, let alone liked it.  She was shaking her head in amusement over one particularly absurd "secret" ...apply a rinse of one part beer, three parts water and pour over hair ... when she stopped suddenly, picturing Jack with his head thrown back in pleasure as he tipped a beer down his throat, Adam's apple bobbing lustily.

She ripped the page out unobtrusively and put it in her purse.  

~~~~~~~
130 Words
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 04:30:01 pm by mariez »

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2269 on: September 14, 2007, 04:18:53 pm »
     Mrs. P. tossed Ennis a towel.  “My intuition told me you need this.  I’ve got three sons, I know when a kid wants his privacy.  Ennis, you make a mediocre tyrant, give Wylie the damned towel.”  She turned and went into her tent.
     Wylie stepped from the river.  Water trickled down the inside of his thighs, dripped from the hair around his ankles.  “Water’s cold.”
     “Yeah, I can see.”
     Wylie blushed, wrapped the towel around his waist.  “Didn’t mean no disrespect.”
     “Ain’t gone a shoot the breeze.  When you’re done struttin your stuff, we’ll do what we come to do.”

100 words