Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205406 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2290 on: September 18, 2007, 04:25:30 pm »
Close Your Eyes and Make A Wish….

Lightning Flat, Wyoming
September 21, 1953

- the old pink house ...

~~~~~~~
100 Words

As Ennis would say: it's not pink, it's rose  ;) 

But 10 year old Jack couldn't know that  :).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2291 on: September 18, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »

oh. OH! I am so dense! LOL

I missed this totally the first time through. DUH!

Thanks, Marie!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2292 on: September 18, 2007, 06:09:04 pm »

That so funny, Chrissi because I had the exact same thought.  But, you're right, 10 year old Jack was quite insistent! LOL!  Nice job trying to get Ennis to spill the beans!  If I recall, it snowed in August of 1963  (and thanks for cluing Leslie in! LOL!)

oh. OH! I am so dense! LOL

I missed this totally the first time through. DUH!

Thanks, Marie!

L

ROFLMAO! I thought maybe I was being a leetle too subtle - but "old pink house on the Lazy L Farm in Quanah, Texas" just didn't flow..... :laugh: :laugh:  (and you're welcome, my pleasure!)  :-*

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2293 on: September 18, 2007, 08:58:21 pm »
That so funny, Chrissi because I had the exact same thought.  But, you're right, 10 year old Jack was quite insistent! LOL!  Nice job trying to get Ennis to spill the beans!  If I recall, it snowed in August of 1963  (and thanks for cluing Leslie in! LOL!)

It is actually specific in the short story, "it snowed on the thirteenth of August..." and as Chrissi notes, August 13, 1943 was a Friday.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2294 on: September 18, 2007, 09:43:19 pm »
It is actually specific in the short story, "it snowed on the thirteenth of August..." and as Chrissi notes, August 13, 1943 was a Friday.

L

Yup, it sure is - grabbed my book as soon as I got home.  Doesn't surprise me at all that you had every detail right.  Dang, that's impressive  :)  But now I'm trying to remember - was there talk about Ennis's  birthday in the stories?  How could I have forgotten?   :-\

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2295 on: September 18, 2007, 09:56:31 pm »
Interlude 3

Ennis was sitting at the kitchen table looking thru the paper, he was looking for a horse for Jack. 
Jack didn't have a horse of his own he had been using Ennis's.  Their second anniversary was coming up in a few days, not only was he getting a horse for him but he was also planning a suprise party, which he was trying desperatly to keep on the Q.T..  He had already invited all of their friends, and he was hoping no one would spill the beans.
    "Whatcha doing Ennis?" asked Jack as he entered the kitchen.
    "Nothin, just readin the paper s'all," answered Ennis folding the section back up.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:17:29 pm by Rogue »
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2296 on: September 19, 2007, 06:35:11 am »
Yup, it sure is - grabbed my book as soon as I got home.  Doesn't surprise me at all that you had every detail right.  Dang, that's impressive  :)  But now I'm trying to remember - was there talk about Ennis's  birthday in the stories?  How could I have forgotten?   :-\

Marie

No, I don't think there was any discussion of birthdays in the story. I remember in early days of the Brokeback Fever epidemic, there were lots of birthday discussions, ie, based on their personalities, could be figure out their zodiac signs and maybe the month of their birthdays?

For me, it was easy. I just asked.

Interestingly, Ennis didn't mention his birthday at all in the summer of 1963 and in fact, didn't tell Jack until quite a few years later. They were on a fishing trip--in August--and it came up then.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2297 on: September 19, 2007, 06:38:33 am »
For today,

• zodiac
  • ancient history
  • nineteen

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2298 on: September 19, 2007, 01:37:12 pm »
Interlude 3

Ennis was sitting at the kitchen table looking thru the paper, he was looking for a horse for Jack. 
Jack didn't have a horse of his own he had been using Ennis's.  Their second anniversary was coming up in a few days, not only was he getting a horse for him but he was also planning a suprise party, which he was trying desperatly to keep on the Q.T..  He had already invited all of their friends, and he was hoping no one would spill the beans.
    "Whatcha doing Ennis?" asked Jack as he entered the kitchen.
    "Nothin, just readin the paper s'all," answered Ennis folding the section back up.
This makes me smile, Rogue.  I'm really enjoying these Interludes.

......For me, it was easy. I just asked.
:)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2299 on: September 19, 2007, 01:41:19 pm »
Open Spaces

July 19.  Her nightly ritual since spring, she made a careful "X" on the calendar before climbing into bed, looking at the neat row of "X's" behind it and the many open spaces that lie ahead.

Closing her eyes, she tried yet again to picture exactly what he was doing at exactly that moment.  She imagined he wouldn't have much to do at night, hoped he wasn't too lonely...

Tossing and turning, she giggled softly at the idea of counting sheep, and a smile remained as she slept peacefully through a night of hopeful dreams for all those open spaces. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words