Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205291 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2320 on: September 24, 2007, 12:50:05 pm »
Interlude Four
"So bud, when exactly was it you learned to cook cause last time I checked you couldn't cook worth a shit."
"well a person can improve on things, Ennis."

Very funny, very sweet and very J&E!

Mrs. P. wrote  “...like fodder from earth’s garden,”  and closed her journal.
     They rode silently, Mrs. P. snored gently in the back seat, Wylie dozed.  Ennis drove, deep in thought, leaving Brokeback again without Jack.  The truck hit a rut, jerked abruptly.  Wylie stirred, shifted, his head came to rest on Ennis’s shoulder.
    I look like a damn pillow?  was halfway up Ennis’s throat before sight of the tousled head and peaceful face stopped it.  Oh, what the hell.
     Wylie’s radio, tuned to a station in Casper, had Willie Nelson singing, “...turns out to be, someone to watch

Hmmm....looks lilke this story ain't over.....nicely done, Clyde.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2321 on: September 24, 2007, 12:51:14 pm »
Some Monday prompts to start the work week:

• narrow
  • handkerchief
  • 48 hours

Have fun!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2322 on: September 24, 2007, 01:47:46 pm »
"Aww. C'mon. You know I have a weak spot for the rugged, blond type, even when they can be quite gruff 'n stubborn at times."

"You calling me stubborn and gruff?"

"Nah, not you En. Never would I dare." Jack couldn't stifle a chuckle.

"I'll show you stubborn. No way we see that film again. There, you have your rugged, blond, gruff 'n stubborn type." Ennis growled and shoved Jack almost off the couch.

"And not to forget handsome."

"Oh, now you're tryin to sweet-talk me? Won't work. You forgot the stubborn part."

"Who's talking 'bout you En, huh? I spoke of that guy in the movie, Nick Nolte."

"I won't watch 48Hours again tonight. You can go and have yourself a nice evening with Mr. Nolte. I'm going to bed early. Night darlin'." Ennis stood and bent down to give Jack a kiss.

"Mh. Tell ya what. Thinking about it, he's not that good-looking at all."

"And he won't warm you when that fire dies down." Ennis replied, nodding towards the fireplace.

"Screw old Nick. I rather screw you tonight."

(183 words)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 02:00:24 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2323 on: September 24, 2007, 02:44:17 pm »

" How long'd you say that heifer has been in labor Jack?"  "I think its bout 48 hrs now."
"Well we better go try and help her finish it, lest we lose em both."  "I think yer probly right cowboy, good idea."
     "Put yer handkerchief over her eyes, she a bit wild eyed now, probly getting close."  "This being her first calf, the canal is pretty narrow, thats the problem I believe...Ok I got it by the front feet, now Jack, you try and hold er steady and I'll pull on it...."  "Splotsh." 
     " Well now lookie there Ennis she got a big heart right in the middle of her forehead." 
"Thats pretty good omen doncha think for our anniversary?"  "Think i'll name her sweetheart."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:20:37 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2324 on: September 24, 2007, 04:32:36 pm »
.....""I won't watch 48Hours again tonight. You can go and have yourself a nice evening with Mr. Nolte. I'm going to bed early. Night darlin'." Ennis stood and bent down to give Jack a kiss.

"Mh. Tell ya what. Thinking about it, he's not that good-looking at all."

"And he won't warm you when that fire dies down." Ennis replied, nodding towards the fireplace.

"Screw old Nick. I rather screw you tonight."
Loved that, Chrissi.  (And I wonder what Jack would think of Nolte's famous mug shot! LOL! )

narrow handkerchief 48 hrs

" How long'd you say that heifer has been in labor Jack?"  "I think its bout 48 hrs now."
"Well we better go try and help her finish it, lest we lose em both."  "I think yer probly right cowboy, good idea."
     "Put yer handkerchief over her eyes, she a bit wild eyed now, probly getting close."  "This being her first calf, the canal is pretty narrow, thats the problem I believe...Ok I got it by the front feet, now Jack, you try and hold er steady and I'll pull on it...."  "Splotsh." 
     " Well now lookie there Ennis she got a big heart right in the middle of her forehead." 
"Thats pretty good omen doncha think for our anniversary?"  "Think i'll name her sweetheart."
Dang, that was clever, Janice, and sweet - have you been delivering calves in your spare time?     

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2325 on: September 24, 2007, 04:34:19 pm »
Something Blue

She surveyed the stack of empty cartons with dread and told herself to just keep moving.  She opened the next drawer quickly, but stopped when her eye caught the nest of white tissue that held a delicate lace handkerchief, the "something new" she had spritzed with cologne and pinned inside her wedding dress.  The soft fabric caught her tears for the first time as she held it against her face for a long moment, the flowery scent long gone, only a mustiness remaining. 

She took a deep breath, placed it carefully into the carton labeled "Bettermost Beans," and moved on….

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2326 on: September 24, 2007, 08:23:54 pm »
Long Ago

Cassie rummaged through the drawer for another handkerchief.  She used up all the tissues, except for the toilet paper, and she didn’t want to use that.  It had been forty eight hours, but somehow it felt like longer, it felt like a lifetime already.  Cassie found one in the back of her drawer.  She stared at it.  It was from high school, with pink embroidered flowers on the corners.  Momma smiled and said “beautiful” when she showed it to her.  That seemed like much more than a lifetime ago.  Cassie went to the bathroom, a narrow shaft of light streamed through the window.  But she didn’t notice it at all, as she tore off a long strip of toilet paper.

(120 words)

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2327 on: September 25, 2007, 09:39:58 am »

By the time the road narrowed toward home it was dusk.  Mattie Twist had dinner waiting, lamb with all the trimmings.  Ennis said no, but Mattie insisted, got a eat she said, didn’t do all that cookin for nothin, need your strength.  They ate hearty, reminisced about Jack, about Brokeback, about the last 48 hours.  Ennis helped clear the table.  In the kitchen, Mattie took his hand,  kissed him on the cheek, whispered, thank you, dabbed her eyes with her handkerchief. 
     When Wylie went to leave, he turned to Ennis.  “Could use a drink.  Want a collect on them beers?”

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2328 on: September 25, 2007, 11:18:12 am »
Long Ago

Cassie rummaged through the drawer for another handkerchief.  She used up all the tissues, except for the toilet paper, and she didn’t want to use that.  It had been forty eight hours, but somehow it felt like longer, it felt like a lifetime already.  Cassie found one in the back of her drawer.  She stared at it.  It was from high school, with pink embroidered flowers on the corners.  Momma smiled and said “beautiful” when she showed it to her.  That seemed like much more than a lifetime ago.  Cassie went to the bathroom, a narrow shaft of light streamed through the window.  But she didn’t notice it at all, as she tore off a long strip of toilet paper.

You don't see those "pretty" handkerchiefs much anymore, do you?  Sorry to see Cassie so sad, but it's great to see one of your drabbles.   :)

By the time the road narrowed toward home it was dusk.  Mattie Twist had dinner waiting, lamb with all the trimmings.  Ennis said no, but Mattie insisted, got a eat she said, didn’t do all that cookin for nothin, need your strength.  They ate hearty, reminisced about Jack, about Brokeback, about the last 48 hours.  Ennis helped clear the table.  In the kitchen, Mattie took his hand,  kissed him on the cheek, whispered, thank you, dabbed her eyes with her handkerchief. 
     When Wylie went to leave, he turned to Ennis.  “Could use a drink.  Want a collect on them beers?”

Yes, I do!  - I mean, yes - Ennis does!   ;D

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2329 on: September 25, 2007, 11:19:14 am »
What a great variety of drabbles yesterday!

Let's see what these prompts can do:

• gold/golden
  • footprints
  • examine

Marie