Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205271 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2360 on: September 30, 2007, 10:54:11 pm »
Interlude Eight

Ennis didn't know why Jack contintued to ask him to be with him, especially after he had turned him down so many times.  Didn't Jack understand, people would know, they would look and him and Jack with disgust.  Ennis didn't theink Jack understood what is was like for two guys livin' together, but Ennis knew he had seen it with his own two eyes when he was just a pup.  one of the reason he had told Jack the story about Earl was to discourage him from wanting to live together, but it hadn't worked out like he had wanted.

Poor Earl and Rich; poor Ennis and Jack.  :(

Footprints
   Two weeks after they had returned to Riverton and Childress, their footprints along the river had disappeared, blown away by a fierce wind even before the rain that would have washed them away poured down, refilling the creeks. But the marks left by their steps under the trees lasted for months, sheltered by the wide and spreading branches, and then, even through the winter, if someone had come back and dug through the drifted snow, looking for sign, they could have found them, though never read what they meant, those footprints separate and together, and filled, until spring came again, with uncountable pieces of ice.

Fern, I echo Janice's and Chrissi's comments; you had me mesmerized from the first exquisite word to the last - there's no such thing as "too long" when it comes to your writing. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2361 on: September 30, 2007, 11:42:27 pm »

“Well, look what the wind blew in.”  Phyree Biddle was tending bar, her hair piled high, like some architect’s nightmare.  Wylie had barely introduced Ennis when Trudy Wilson swooped in, dragged him off to the jukebox.  Wylie was getting his own lecture.
     “That twosome won’t bear up under much a that.”  Phyree whispered under her breath.  “Thinks she can pen him up like some sheep.  Not our Wylie.  No more’n you’d cage a wild elk.”
     “What’ll you have, Ennis?”
     “Uh...”  Ennis shoved his hand in his pocket hoping for a five spot.
     “Don’t bother, honey.  Your money’s no good tonight.”

100 words

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #2362 on: September 30, 2007, 11:58:17 pm »

Trudy stormed back from the jukebox, pain in her face, grabbed her sweater off the barstool, rushed out.
     Wylie fed the jukebox, punched a couple of numbers, strolled back to the bar. 
     “Trudy didn’t get my message.  She was unaware we were going to Brokeback.  Findin out another woman went really made her mad.”
     “Phyree, How bout a shot - tequila.”  Ennis looked at Wylie.  “Better make it two”
     Phyree poured three and they all raised their glasses.
     Ennis winked.  “Tequila to forget.”
     Phyree chuckled.  “Tequila makes your clothes fall off.”
     Mary McBride sang, “No one’s gonna love you like me.”

100 words

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2363 on: October 01, 2007, 02:56:52 am »
Interlude nine

Jack had decided to spend the day in the kitchen, he was going to utilize his new found cooking skills.  He wanted to suprise Ennis with a garlic braid, which was a loaf of garlic bread in the shape of a briad.  Jack finally had dinner ready right about the time Ennis came lookin for it.  As they sat down to eat Ennis noticed the garlic braid on the table, "What the hell is that?" he asked pointing toward it.
  "It's bread Ennis, Just try it," answered Jack.
   Ennis did as Jack said, "Well bud, it sure is better than your beans," commented Ennis.
   "Ha Ha, very funny Ennis."

"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2364 on: October 01, 2007, 10:33:18 am »
Morning all,

• two star day
  • technical difficulties
  • "May I put you on hold?"

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2365 on: October 01, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »
     “Well, look what the wind blew in.”  Phyree Biddle was tending bar, her hair piled high, like some architect’s nightmare.  Wylie had barely introduced Ennis when Trudy Wilson swooped in, dragged him off to the jukebox.  Wylie was getting his own lecture.
     “That twosome won’t bear up under much a that.”  Phyree whispered under her breath.  “Thinks she can pen him up like some sheep.  Not our Wylie.  No more’n you’d cage a wild elk.”
     “What’ll you have, Ennis?”
     “Uh...”  Ennis shoved his hand in his pocket hoping for a five spot.
     “Don’t bother, honey.  Your money’s no good tonight.”
Phyree Biddle - what a great name; it suits her!

Trudy stormed back from the jukebox, pain in her face, grabbed her sweater off the barstool, rushed out.
     Wylie fed the jukebox, punched a couple of numbers, strolled back to the bar. 
     “Trudy didn’t get my message.  She was unaware we were going to Brokeback.  Findin out another woman went really made her mad.”
     “Phyree, How bout a shot - tequila.”  Ennis looked at Wylie.  “Better make it two”
     Phyree poured three and they all raised their glasses.
     Ennis winked.  “Tequila to forget.”
     Phyree chuckled.  “Tequila makes your clothes fall off.”
     Mary McBride sang, “No one’s gonna love you like me.”
Sounds like a promising night!   ;D

Ennis did as Jack said, "Well bud, it sure is better than your beans," commented Ennis.
   "Ha Ha, very funny Ennis."
Hard to get Ennis out of his comfort zone, isn't it?   ;)

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2366 on: October 01, 2007, 01:57:56 pm »
Hold, Please

Jack sighed when he heard the voice on the other end of the line say quickly, "May I put you on hold?"  and found himself listening to some annoying song before he'd had a chance to respond.  Why did they bother asking?  He wondered what would happen if they actually waited long enough for someone to say "No, you may not." 

He paced, doodled, checked his watch, paced some more.  Damn.  Sometimes it seemed like he spent half his life ….the bitter truth hit him in the face like a bucket of cold water before the thought was even completed. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2367 on: October 02, 2007, 02:58:51 am »
Interlude Ten

Ennis had been waiting all week for this day, his favorite football team was having one of their biggest games of the season.  he had been planning it since the start of football season, Jack had decided to go into town for some shopping fun, so it was Ennis his chips, bean dip, and beer.  Just the way he liked it no one around to bother him while he watch T.V..  Once Ennis sat down and was comfortable he turned the T.V. on and flip to the station, but when he got there all he saw was a blue screen and white lettering, "Due to technical difficulties the previously scheduled programing has been post poned."
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #2368 on: October 02, 2007, 08:32:52 am »

One essential truth of small towns applies also to Lightning Flat:  If you don’t want people to know about it, don’t do it.     
     As he lowered his glass Ennis spied a photograph tacked behind the bar.  Jack, his arm around some bearded stranger, both holding drinks, toasting the photographer. 
     “Who’s that?”
     “Some Texan, friend a Jack’s.  Come up with him last time.”
     Ennis’s face fell.  He couldn’t hide the sadness, disgust.  He felt sick, them staring, so happy, from that picture.
     “Sorry folks, I got a move.”
     Ennis grabbed a shot, a beer, headed toward the booths in the back.

100 words

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2369 on: October 02, 2007, 09:06:26 am »
Hello Drabblers!

For today:

• biography
  • eternity
  • grape juice

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!