Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205233 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2370 on: October 02, 2007, 01:29:32 pm »

What?
          "Today people we have to get our biography ready to be placed in the files.  Jack Twist what is your very favorite thing you ever tasted?" " Well I think it was a good cold beer.  Sept fer maybe a glass of grape juice when I was a lil kid."  " What is your very favorite place?"  "Well, a place called Brokeback Mountain, I guess.  Yeah thats it, for sure." " Now what was your favorite sound?"
"Well I guess it was the sound of a peaceful sleep, of my friend on our camping trips. Or maybe the sound of his laughing."  " Well last question, do you think you could spend your eternity doing those three things?" Jack thought for a moment. " Sleeping with Ennis, in a tent on Brokeback Mountain, and having a good cold beer or some juice to drink when I woke up....? " Sure, sure nough." 
           "Ok Michael file that with the others.  He has to finish processing before the beginning of time starts..."

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2371 on: October 02, 2007, 07:04:41 pm »
Interlude Ten
....... Once Ennis sat down and was comfortable he turned the T.V. on and flip to the station, but when he got there all he saw was a blue screen and white lettering, "Due to technical difficulties the previously scheduled programing has been post poned."
I hate when that happens! (and how funny that he has bean dip when Jack's out!)

One essential truth of small towns applies also to Lightning Flat:  If you don’t want people to know about it, don’t do it.    
     As he lowered his glass Ennis spied a photograph tacked behind the bar.  Jack, his arm around some bearded stranger, both holding drinks, toasting the photographer. 
     “Who’s that?”
     “Some Texan, friend a Jack’s.  Come up with him last time.”
     Ennis’s face fell.  He couldn’t hide the sadness, disgust.  He felt sick, them staring, so happy, from that picture.
     “Sorry folks, I got a move.”
     Ennis grabbed a shot, a beer, headed toward the booths in the back.
Awww, Ennis....that made me sad, too. 

What?
          "Today people we have to get our biography ready to be placed in the files.  Jack Twist what is your very favorite thing you ever tasted?" " Well I think it was a good cold beer.  Sept fer maybe a glass of grape juice when I was a lil kid."  " What is your very favorite place?"  "Well, a place called Brokeback Mountain, I guess.  Yeah thats it, for sure." " Now what was your favorite sound?"
"Well I guess it was the sound of a peaceful sleep, of my friend on our camping trips. Or maybe the sound of his laughing."  " Well last question, do you think you could spend your eternity doing those three things?" Jack thought for a moment. " Sleeping with Ennis, in a tent on Brokeback Mountain, and having a good cold beer or some juice to drink when I woke up....? " Sure, sure nough." 
           "Ok Michael file that with the others.  He has to finish processing before the beginning of time starts..."
That's so clever, Janice, and such a comforting thought. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2372 on: October 02, 2007, 07:13:17 pm »
A Wise Man

Late August, 1963

Ennis was sitting awkwardly on the edge of the sofa in the Beers' living room when he caught sight of the books on the coffeetable, one of them bringing back a cherished childhood memory of curling up with his mama as she read to him about Tom Sawyer and all his friends.

"Ennis!"

The Mark Twain biography fell to the table as he rose to greet her, the book falling open to a passage he would never read: 

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do……

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2373 on: October 03, 2007, 03:16:49 am »
"Ennis are ya coming?" asked Jack.
"Coming where?” asked Ennis in return.
"To the grocery store remember I told you yesterday that I was going today,” stated Jack.
"No, can’t say as I recall that conversation,” said Ennis.
"Well is there anything in particular you really want and can't live without?” asked Jack.
Ennis looked thoughtful for a moment then said, "I don't rightly know," as he headed into the kitchen to look around, every few moments he would sneak a look at Jack as he pretended to look thru the cupboards.  Jack was standing in the doorway of the kitchen with a big smirk on his face watching Ennis.  when Ennis reached the refrigerator he said, "ya know bud, I sure could go for some grape juice right about now."
"But Ennis you don't Even like grape juice," said Jack.
"Well maybe I changed my mind," stated Ennis mater-of-factly.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2374 on: October 03, 2007, 04:04:24 am »
Janice, Chrissi, Marie...thank you so much.
You warm my heart.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2375 on: October 03, 2007, 08:14:06 am »

Wylie followed, they sat, the Cuervo bottle between them.  “Phyree said you needed this.”
     Ennis stared through dead eyes, Wylie talked.
     “They came August, I remember cause that’s Cooter’s apple pickin time.  Don’t pick his Lodi’s August, they turn a mush. 
     “Texan seemed nice enough, but he and Jack had a terrible row.  Somethin the Texan said a his father.  Texan left.  Jack was glad, said he’d made a big mistake.
     “Aunt Matt asked Jack a bring a creole garlic braid for the pumpkin festival end a October.  Said he couldn’t.  Was goin huntin with you, if he got lucky.”

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2376 on: October 03, 2007, 12:05:40 pm »
"Ennis are ya coming?" asked Jack.
"Coming where?” asked Ennis in return.
"To the grocery store remember I told you yesterday that I was going today,” stated Jack.
"No, can’t say as I recall that conversation,” said Ennis.
"Well is there anything in particular you really want and can't live without?” asked Jack.
Ennis looked thoughtful for a moment then said, "I don't rightly know," as he headed into the kitchen to look around, every few moments he would sneak a look at Jack as he pretended to look thru the cupboards.  Jack was standing in the doorway of the kitchen with a big smirk on his face watching Ennis.  when Ennis reached the refrigerator he said, "ya know bud, I sure could go for some grape juice right about now."
"But Ennis you don't Even like grape juice," said Jack.
"Well maybe I changed my mind," stated Ennis mater-of-factly.

This is funny - you're not so predictable after all, are you, Ennis? 

Wylie followed, they sat, the Cuervo bottle between them.  “Phyree said you needed this.”
     Ennis stared through dead eyes, Wylie talked.
     “They came August, I remember cause that’s Cooter’s apple pickin time.  Don’t pick his Lodi’s August, they turn a mush. 
     “Texan seemed nice enough, but he and Jack had a terrible row.  Somethin the Texan said a his father.  Texan left.  Jack was glad, said he’d made a big mistake.
     “Aunt Matt asked Jack a bring a creole garlic braid for the pumpkin festival end a October.  Said he couldn’t.  Was goin huntin with you, if he got lucky.”

Big sigh of relief.  Ennis punishes himself so much I can't bear to see more inflicted from the outside - thanks, Clyde!

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2377 on: October 03, 2007, 12:07:14 pm »
Hey, everyone - some Wednesay prompts:   :)

• circle
  • popular
  • ancient

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2378 on: October 03, 2007, 03:55:47 pm »
Just Because

August 23, 1963

His eyes were focused ahead on the endless yellow line running the lonely stretch of highway, and his long legs were sure and steady as his thoughts marched around his mind in a weary circle  - fear, guilt, anger, confusion – but, above all else, the sinking feeling of having been set adrift. 

He'd never had a true friend before.  Someone that liked him not because he looked a certain way, or because he had a good seat on a horse, or because he could fix things, or because he was a good shot.  Someone who liked him just because he was.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2379 on: October 03, 2007, 04:33:13 pm »
Afternoon, Clyde.

Well, haven't spoken up in way too long.  Had to tell you how much I'm enjoying your story about Ennis and Wylie.  Really has run the gamut of emotions, and has taken Ennis far outside of his comfort zone.  Now that he has taken Jack back to Brokeback, I hope Ennis can see his way to taking the advice from Ms. P, and move forward with the second chance in front of him. Not sure yet if Wylie is gay, or in love with Ennis.  But if he is, I hope Ennis can bring himself to hold onto Wylie.  Not because he reminds Ennis of Jack, but because he is himself, a different person with the ability to love Ennis back. And hope Wylie can see that, too, and hold on. 

Thanks again.