Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205277 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2380 on: October 03, 2007, 05:43:24 pm »
(Hi there! Yes, a strange one.  Guess I am just thinking of Ennis and beaches.)

The Golden Circle

Ennis stared at the sun.  It was a glowing round circle of gold.  He looked at the water.  It was reflecting the brilliance of the sun.  He watched the waves roll in.  They lapped at his feet.  He felt so ancient, like he had been around forever already, it all was so long ago.

Ennis turned around.  Some children were running around behind him in the sand.  They were yelling and laughing, and falling down and rolling in the sand.  Near them was a couple, sitting in beach chairs engrossed in their books, those popular cheap ones that Cassie always used to read.  That seemed like so long ago too.

Ennis turned back to the water, and to the sun.  He felt the water on his bare feet.  He bent down and rolled up his pants.  Then he walked further out into the water, closer to the sun, on her journey into the ocean.

(154 words)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2381 on: October 03, 2007, 08:53:14 pm »
      Just a crazy idea that came to me....sorry...

Yakob and Enoch had to hurry and get to the city before nightfall.  The
gates would be closed, and they would be outside the walls with no safety.  The evening sun was going behind the sands and making its nightly travels to the underworld.. "Hurry Yakob, Enoch said pleading for his friend to speed up his walking." They began to run.  The gatemen were standing just inside the huge wooden gates, with the metal hardware of gigantic proportions..."Oh thank goodness we made it."  Yakob  said bending over with his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath.
The Hittites are on the way young men...You might have been lost forever if you
had been any later... The circle of life is dying behind the western lands.  Yakob wondered how the ancients had figured out where the Ra went when the darkness came...
       " Alright Enoch, its time for me to get home...my family will be worried..See you around I guess."

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2382 on: October 04, 2007, 08:30:44 am »

Ennis eased a bit.  If he’d been more sober he might have worried how much Wylie knew. How he knew just the right thing to say.  But he was in that twilight between harsh reality and total oblivion, enjoying the almost forgotten luxury of believing someone might care.
     Men sometimes talk about feelings, their eyes like tiny TV screens flashing ‘Technical Difficulties’ or their voices like a billing agent saying, “May I put you on hold?”  The mellow softened that too.       
     “You love that little girl?”
     “Trudy?”  Wylie shrugged.
     “You don’t love her, it ain’t right a pretend you do.”

100 words

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2383 on: October 04, 2007, 09:14:59 am »
Afternoon, Clyde.

Well, haven't spoken up in way too long.  Had to tell you how much I'm enjoying your story about Ennis and Wylie.  Really has run the gamut of emotions, and has taken Ennis far outside of his comfort zone.  Now that he has taken Jack back to Brokeback, I hope Ennis can see his way to taking the advice from Ms. P, and move forward with the second chance in front of him. Not sure yet if Wylie is gay, or in love with Ennis.  But if he is, I hope Ennis can bring himself to hold onto Wylie.  Not because he reminds Ennis of Jack, but because he is himself, a different person with the ability to love Ennis back. And hope Wylie can see that, too, and hold on. 

Thanks again. 

Thank you cwby30,

I hope I don't disappoint you.  I'm glad you like Wylie.  Nobody can replace Jack, but I wanted Ennis to see that his happiness didn't have to end.  I don't want to give too much away, but Wylie is a better horseman than Jack.  He understands how to handle an old stallion with a low startle point.

I hope you decide to write for us again soon!

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2384 on: October 04, 2007, 11:32:06 am »
Ennis was in the barn when Jack came out to see what he was doing, "whatcha up to cowboy?"
"Just looking at this here tractor,"
"Why? That things been broke down since we moved here.”
"I'm thinkin I might fix it."
"It's ancient Ennis we could just buy a new one."
“I don’t think we need a new one Jack, it may take some time but this one can be fixed.”
“Do we really need a tractor anyway, this is after all a horse ranch.”
“That’s really not the point Jack.”
“Then what is?”
“What if some day we do need it? Then at least we’ll have one.”
“Yeah well I still think we should buy a new one,” said Jack as he left the barn, leaving Ennis to look over the tractor.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2385 on: October 04, 2007, 01:13:06 pm »
The Golden Circle

Ennis stared at the sun.  It was a glowing round circle of gold.  He looked at the water.  It was reflecting the brilliance of the sun.  He watched the waves roll in.  They lapped at his feet.  He felt so ancient, like he had been around forever already, it all was so long ago. ......
Lovely and mysterious - is it an excerpt from "The Journey"?

Just a crazy idea that came to me....sorry...

Yakob and Enoch had to hurry and get to the city before nightfall.  The
gates would be closed, and they would be outside the walls with no safety.  The evening sun was going behind the sands and making its nightly travels to the underworld.. "Hurry Yakob, Enoch said pleading for his friend to speed up his walking." They began to run.  The gatemen were standing just inside the huge wooden gates, with the metal hardware of gigantic proportions..."Oh thank goodness we made it."  Yakob  said bending over with his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath.
The Hittites are on the way young men...You might have been lost forever if you
had been any later... The circle of life is dying behind the western lands.  Yakob wondered how the ancients had figured out where the Ra went when the darkness came...
       " Alright Enoch, its time for me to get home...my family will be worried..See you around I guess."
Timeless Jack and Ennis - I don't think that's crazy at all, Janice - makes a lot of sense to me.

Ennis eased a bit.  If he’d been more sober he might have worried how much Wylie knew. How he knew just the right thing to say.  But he was in that twilight between harsh reality and total oblivion, enjoying the almost forgotten luxury of believing someone might care.
     Men sometimes talk about feelings, their eyes like tiny TV screens flashing ‘Technical Difficulties’ or their voices like a billing agent saying, “May I put you on hold?”  The mellow softened that too.       
     “You love that little girl?”
     “Trudy?”  Wylie shrugged.
     “You don’t love her, it ain’t right a pretend you do.”
     100 words
Not only a brilliant use of words, but that last sentence says so much.  Ennis may have a long way to go, but he's come a long way, too.

Ennis was in the barn when Jack came out to see what he was doing, "whatcha up to cowboy?"
"Just looking at this here tractor,"
"Why? That things been broke down since we moved here.”
"I'm thinkin I might fix it."
"It's ancient Ennis we could just buy a new one."
“I don’t think we need a new one Jack, it may take some time but this one can be fixed.”
“Do we really need a tractor anyway, this is after all a horse ranch.”
“That’s really not the point Jack.”
“Then what is?”
“What if some day we do need it? Then at least we’ll have one.”
“Yeah well I still think we should buy a new one,” said Jack as he left the barn, leaving Ennis to look over the tractor.
Nice slice of life and very true to J&E - nice to hear Ennis say those words  ;)

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2386 on: October 04, 2007, 01:14:57 pm »
Hey, drabblers!  Pulled these off the top of my head:

• neglect/negligent
  • shrill
  • one in a million

Have fun!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2387 on: October 04, 2007, 01:54:36 pm »
Mornin', Clyde.

Well, liked so much two of your lines, "...the almost forgotten luxury of believing someone might care" and "“You don’t love her, it ain’t right a pretend you do.”"

Jack did care, and Ennis knows that, and should never forget that.  In the last line, Ennis speaks from the heart and experience, he didn't love Alma and should never have pretended that he did, because of what it did to her, and Jack, and him. 

Also, glad to hear that Wylie is a better horseman than Jack, and can handle a stallion with a low startle point.  Would enjoy seeing him use that expertise. 

Thanks again. 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2388 on: October 04, 2007, 05:45:08 pm »
Circle of Time

August 13, 2007

"Hey, what's this?" the young man kicked a rusted can aside and crouched down to find an old round watch on a braided cord, its crystal badly cracked, but the hands still intact; time frozen at 2:40.

His friend leaned over, picked it up from among the dried grass and stones, and held it gently in the palm of his hand.  "Hmmm….no telling how long it's been here, it's a pretty old watch, though, that's for sure."

A soothing breeze rustled through the branches and washed over them as they looked into the clear, endless sky and listened to the shrill songs of the Mountain Bluebirds.  Their eyes met in perfect understanding as they clasped hands, time standing still in this special place above and beyond the world below.

~~~~~~~
130 Words

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2389 on: October 04, 2007, 06:09:31 pm »
Circle of Time

~~~~

I just loved that Marie, just beautiful. :)

Thanks so much for your lovely words, and for sticking wiith me on 'The Journey'.  I am not sure yet if the drabble will exactly be in it, but I guess in a way it will be, no matter what.
 :)