Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205312 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2400 on: October 06, 2007, 09:12:36 pm »
Cwby and Marie,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments.  The Journey is going on, and you helped a lot.  I always appreciate your kind words so much.
 :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2401 on: October 06, 2007, 11:25:28 pm »
     Smoking, drinking, becoming buddies is a ritual as ancient and popular as booze itself. 

With its questions:  
     “Ennis, how come you never come up a Lightnin Flat with Jack?”

Its confessions: 
     “On that cliff, holdin Jack’s ashes, I thought... if I just take one more step, it’s over.”
     “But, you didn’t.”
     “No, couldn’t do it.”

Its regrets: 
     “Uncle John called him just a dreamer, but Jack got out a Lightnin Flat.  Tried for his dreams.”
     “How bout you?”

And its hopes: 
     “Here’s to Jack’s whiskey spring.”
     “And his damn bluebirds.”

The circle of warmth growing, the distance between them fading.
Very nicely done, Clyde, and so natural.

Neglect/Essential

“Neglect....peril....soul....essential.”  The minister droned on and on, and Ennis' head tipped further and further forward. Alma pressed her fingers into his arm, whispering, (though he would have called it hissing if he'd let himself think about it) “Ennis, listen,” and he jerked back up, clenched his hands together. Maybe would have looked to someone glancing over like he was praying, unless they looked longer, saw the rough knuckles wrench and torque, one hand against the other, or looked closer, saw some of the scrapes and cuts from the week's work break open and begin to slowly bleed.
Wow - that was awesome, Fern (as usual). 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2402 on: October 06, 2007, 11:29:36 pm »
Lucky Day

His routine for the past two weeks, Jack headed straight for the mail when he got home, his heart skipping a beat when he saw the postcard, the words "you bet" bringing a joy and relief that almost brought him to his knees. 

"You're home!" Lureen carried Bobby on her hip. "We were just about to have a bath."

"I'll do it!" Jack scooped Bobby up with a grin, twirling him around.

"Don't forget his rubber duckie – oh, and his diaper……"

Jack waved his hand. "No problem." 

Lureen stared after them.  "No problem?  I guess this is my lucky day."

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2403 on: October 07, 2007, 09:38:43 am »

When they left, Ennis was dizzy drunk, Wylie wasn’t sober.  Phyree hollered, “Drive careful.”  Holding on to each other they stumbled like a three-legged horse.
     “C’mon old man stay vertical.”
     “Ain’t old.”
     “Well you walk like it.” 
     Wylie cut one, shrill, unexpected.  They started laughing, almost fell face first in the parking lot. 
     Wylie propped Ennis against the truck, fished the keys, opened the door. 
     A quick shove, (“Watch the family jewels there.”) and Ennis was in the front seat, crooked, but strapped in.  “Wylie, you use seat belts?” 
     “Wouldn’t neglect your safety.”     
     “Thanks, bud, you’re one in a million.”

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2404 on: October 07, 2007, 11:54:19 am »
     When they left, Ennis was dizzy drunk, Wylie wasn’t sober.  Phyree hollered, “Drive careful.”  Holding on to each other they stumbled like a three-legged horse.
     “C’mon old man stay vertical.”
     “Ain’t old.”
     “Well you walk like it.” 
     Wylie cut one, shrill, unexpected.  They started laughing, almost fell face first in the parking lot. 
     Wylie propped Ennis against the truck, fished the keys, opened the door. 
     A quick shove, (“Watch the family jewels there.”) and Ennis was in the front seat, crooked, but strapped in.  “Wylie, you use seat belts?” 
     “Wouldn’t neglect your safety.”     
     “Thanks, bud, you’re one in a million.”
They may be dizzy drunk and not quite sober, but it's clear that their rapport isn't due to the alcohol.  Great banter!

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2405 on: October 07, 2007, 12:00:57 pm »
A few Sunday prompts:

• crotchety
  • relatives
  • hostess gift

Have fun!

Marie

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2406 on: October 07, 2007, 07:00:16 pm »
(More wierdness, I can't help it. Not really part of The Journey.)

The Gift

Ennis sat in the diner.  He drank his coffee and played with his pie.  He looked around.  No one else was there except for an old couple sitting by the door.  He looked down.

“Why are you here all alone?”

Ennis looked up. The old woman was standing next to his table.

“Don’t you have any relatives?”

Ennis stared at her, but he didn’t answer.

“Well, you could have mine if you want, just a bunch of crotchety old women.  My sisters, even if I do say so myself” the woman said, then chuckled.

Ennis just stared.

“You really shouldn’t be here by yourself all the time” the women said.  Then she took a small package out of her pocket and put it on the table in front of Ennis.

“A hostess gift, for when you go visitin’.”

Ennis touched the gift, then he pushed it away.  The old woman pushed it back towards him.

“For when you go visitin’.  You will.  It will be alright” the woman said, then she turned and walked out of the diner before Ennis could say a word.  The old man followed her.

Ennis sat there.  He shook his head and closed his eyes.  Then he put the gift in his pocket and left.

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2407 on: October 08, 2007, 06:37:41 am »

It was that time of year that everyone just loves, especially Ennis, it was time to do the spring cleaning.  When it was time to do the spring cleaning Ennis got grouchy about it, it was the same thing Every year.  Jack on the other hand didn't really mind doing it, the whole process usually took them two days.
Jack ususally let Ennis grumble the first day sennding him off to do chours in other parts of the house, mostly so he didn't have to listen, but by the second dayall those Jobs were done and he was forced to work with Ennis.  They had just sat down early to breakfastwhen Ennis statered in his most whinny voice, "Jack why do we have to do this every year?"
"Because Ennis if we don't do it then the house gets really dirty, besides this is the only time we have to do it, stop being so crochety about it all the time," answered Jack.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2408 on: October 08, 2007, 09:12:35 am »

A good truck, like a good horse, finds its way home.  Before long they sat in front of the little white house. 
     This was the most carefree Ennis had felt since Jack died, he’d dream good tonight.  Cool air played in his hair, across the darkness, he felt unseen blue eyes.  He didn’t want what had built up between them to erode, he knew he was no good at being subtle.   He felt he should say something, cleared his throat, couldn’t clear his mind.  “I, uh...”   He turned, couldn’t move.  “I’m stuck.”
     Wylie smiled, reached over, unfastened the seat belt.

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2409 on: October 08, 2007, 01:53:27 pm »
Ennis touched the gift, then he pushed it away.  The old woman pushed it back towards him.

“For when you go visitin’.  You will.  It will be alright” the woman said, then she turned and walked out of the diner before Ennis could say a word. 
I know it's not part of The Journey, but this old woman reminds me of that one!  Especially when she tells Ennis it will be alright.

"Because Ennis if we don't do it then the house gets really dirty, besides this is the only time we have to do it, stop being so crochety about it all the time," answered Jack.
LOL!  Funny seeing Ennis doing the complaining!

....  “I, uh...”   He turned, couldn’t move.  “I’m stuck.”
Ennis may not be subtle, but he always did have a gift for metaphors.   :)

Marie