Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205172 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2430 on: October 12, 2007, 04:25:38 pm »
To Catch the Wind

He staggered out of the bar and to his truck, leaning against the open door as he tried to steady himself.  He may have been three sheets to the wind, but he still knew which way it was blowing.   He turned slowly and accepted its gentle touch, soothing his tender flesh as it swirled around him. 

At times the wind could lift him up and carry him straight to heaven; at times it could push him back to a despair that was surely hell.  Yet it always, always blew through his fingers, within his reach, but out of his grasp.

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2431 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:22 pm »
To Catch the Wind

He staggered out of the bar and to his truck, leaning against the open door as he tried to steady himself.  He may have been three sheets to the wind, but he still knew which way it was blowing.   He turned slowly and accepted its gentle touch, soothing his tender flesh as it swirled around him. 

At times the wind could lift him up and carry him straight to heaven; at times it could push him back to a despair that was surely hell.  Yet it always, always blew through his fingers, within his reach, but out of his grasp.

I like this so much, in part because of how you didn't specify which man this was, how it could have either of them, or both of them, even on the same night, miles apart.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2432 on: October 12, 2007, 11:03:02 pm »
from a while back...

Interference

“Goddamnit,” he swore, punched at the radio's buttons, trying to get past the interference. Soon he'd be within range of the Wyoming stations. Only one of the markers, the signs. Things that told him he could finally let go of the hold he had on his heart. The way the sky changed as he watched, got less solid looking, became a blue as long and high as his heart could soar, now that it was almost free. The way the land rose ahead of him, gathered and folded itself into mountains that held snow, and trees that sang in the wind, and water that sang by itself. The chills that shook him. “Cold already,” he muttered, though he knew it wasn't that. Not by a long shot.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2433 on: October 12, 2007, 11:57:07 pm »
                                             " Lost?"
        Alma felt like she was always tired. It didn't seem to matter what time she finally got
the girls to bed..It always seemed to take her a couple more hours to lay down and
rest.  Ennis seemed to always be there, and sound asleep when she turned out the light. His face to the wall, his back to her.  More often than not he was three sheets to the wind, after the
beers he had drunk. 
        " I wonder why is it he doesn't seem to need me any more?"  Her heart aching for the man
she fell in love with. " Where did he go?  Why did he leave me?  I wonder if I go to the mountains, like he does, could I find him there?  Is he as lost as me?

127wds

Beautiful mind

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2434 on: October 13, 2007, 07:20:09 am »

I wonder if I go to the mountains, like he does, could I find him there?  Is he as lost as me?

Beautiful and heartbreaking take on what Alma was feeling.
Thanks!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2435 on: October 13, 2007, 08:50:21 am »
Good morning everyone,

For today:

• crow
  • Chinese take-out
  • pixy dust or fairy dust

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Dagi

« Reply #2436 on: October 13, 2007, 08:50:34 am »
To Catch the Wind

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Heartbreakingly beautiful.

Dagi

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2437 on: October 13, 2007, 01:45:28 pm »
I like this so much, in part because of how you didn't specify which man this was, how it could have either of them, or both of them, even on the same night, miles apart.

Ahh...Fern. Yes, the ambiguousness was intentional.  It started out to be Ennis, but I changed it for those very reasons - thanks for noticing!

from a while back...

Interference

“Goddamnit,” he swore, punched at the radio's buttons, trying to get past the interference. Soon he'd be within range of the Wyoming stations. Only one of the markers, the signs. Things that told him he could finally let go of the hold he had on his heart. The way the sky changed as he watched, got less solid looking, became a blue as long and high as his heart could soar, now that it was almost free. The way the land rose ahead of him, gathered and folded itself into mountains that held snow, and trees that sang in the wind, and water that sang by itself. The chills that shook him. “Cold already,” he muttered, though he knew it wasn't that. Not by a long shot.

Fern, we're on the same wavelength here (pardon the awful pun  ;) );  I've often thought of this transition that takes place, but I couldn't express it this beautifully. 

" Lost?"
        Alma felt like she was always tired. It didn't seem to matter what time she finally got
the girls to bed..It always seemed to take her a couple more hours to lay down and
rest.  Ennis seemed to always be there, and sound asleep when she turned out the light. His face to the wall, his back to her.  More often than not he was three sheets to the wind, after the
beers he had drunk. 
        " I wonder why is it he doesn't seem to need me any more?"  Her heart aching for the man
she fell in love with. " Where did he go?  Why did he leave me?  I wonder if I go to the mountains, like he does, could I find him there?  Is he as lost as me?

Wow, Janice.  That was awesome.  Lost is exactly the right word - nothing in Alma's life could have prepared her - nothing. 

Thanks, Dagi - always nice to see you!  :)

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2438 on: October 13, 2007, 04:32:35 pm »
Brokeback Mountain
July 23, 1963

Ennis leaned back against the rock, watching a lone black crow circling overhead, its caw echoing off the mountains. He’d been up on the mountain for a few weeks now, watching the sheep while Jack tended to the camp. The time alone gave him space to think, something he seemed incapable of when he was with Jack. Then it was all about grabbing him, pulling at his clothes, clawing each other with a ferocity he didn’t understand.

“I ain’t queer,” he thought to himself, but he was beginning to wonder if that was really true. He ached for him when they were apart, he ached for him when they were together. If that wasn’t queer, what was it? “Maybe I got sprinkled with some sort a fairy dust,” he thought, then shook the idea out of his head.

“I ain’t queer,” he said aloud. “I’m marryin Alma when I come off this mountain and that’s all there is to it. Fairy dust be damned.”

169 words
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2439 on: October 13, 2007, 05:37:34 pm »
Brokeback Mountain
July 23, 1963

Ennis leaned back against the rock, watching a lone black crow circling overhead, its caw echoing off the mountains. He’d been up on the mountain for a few weeks now, watching the sheep while Jack tended to the camp. The time alone gave him space to think, something he seemed incapable of when he was with Jack. Then it was all about grabbing him, pulling at his clothes, clawing each other with a ferocity he didn’t understand.

“I ain’t queer,” he thought to himself, but he was beginning to wonder if that was really true. He ached for him when they were apart, he ached for him when they were together. If that wasn’t queer, what was it? “Maybe I got sprinkled with some sort a fairy dust,” he thought, then shook the idea out of his head.

“I ain’t queer,” he said aloud. “I’m marryin Alma when I come off this mountain and that’s all there is to it. Fairy dust be damned.”

Very nicely done, L.  I love getting inside Ennis's mind and you do that so well - I can hear him thinking these very words. 

Marie