Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1198686 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2580 on: November 25, 2007, 05:55:50 pm »
A llittle late ....   :)

A Day of Thanks

It wasn't the fourth Thursday in November, and they weren't eating a roasted turkey with all the trimmings while sitting around a crowded table, but the elk meat was tender and juicy, the canned yams tasted as good as homemade, and he knew he could go the rest of his life without more company than the man beside him.

Any day he could listen to the rustling of the leaves, breathe in the cold, sweet air, look up into the endless night sky, and watch that face limned by the fire, peaceful and relaxed, was his own day of thanksgiving.   

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2581 on: November 25, 2007, 06:14:52 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Thanksgiving, 2007

“Damn, Jack, that was good,” said Ennis, leaning back in his chair and rubbing his stomach.

“You say that every year,” replied Jack with a chuckle. “Seems like somethin’ ‘bout Thanksgivin’ brings out your appreciation for my cookin’.”

“I guess it ‘cause it’s a food holiday,” said Ennis. “And seein’ you cook that turkey, makes me remember how you could barely open a can a beans when we was up on Brokeback.”

Jack smiled to himself. “Ain’t that the truth,” he said softly. “Times change, people change…”

“But one thing that ain’t ever changed,” said Ennis, reaching for Jack’s hand on the table.

“Ain’t ever changed and never will,” answered Jack, his eyes bright.

“Never will,” replied Ennis, squeezing Jack’s fingers.

(128 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2582 on: November 26, 2007, 02:19:53 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Thanksgiving, 2007

“Damn, Jack, that was good,” said Ennis, leaning back in his chair and rubbing his stomach.

“You say that every year,” replied Jack with a chuckle. “Seems like somethin’ ‘bout Thanksgivin’ brings out your appreciation for my cookin’.”

“I guess it ‘cause it’s a food holiday,” said Ennis. “And seein’ you cook that turkey, makes me remember how you could barely open a can a beans when we was up on Brokeback.”

Jack smiled to himself. “Ain’t that the truth,” he said softly. “Times change, people change…”

“But one thing that ain’t ever changed,” said Ennis, reaching for Jack’s hand on the table.

“Ain’t ever changed and never will,” answered Jack, his eyes bright.

“Never will,” replied Ennis, squeezing Jack’s fingers.

Thanks, L!  I was hoping to get a Thanksgiving visit with our Lazy L boys.  That made my eyes a little bright, too.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2583 on: November 26, 2007, 02:21:03 pm »
Some prompts for a dreary, drizzly Monday:

• snoring
  • drizzle
  • tired

Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2584 on: November 26, 2007, 06:59:46 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Date unknown

"When did you start snorin', Jack?"

"I don't snore."

"Yeah ya do."

"No I don't."

"Yer sleepin', Jack, ya can't hear yourself."

"I ain't wakin' myself up, why am I wakin' you up, then?"

"'Cause yer makin' a racket."

"Get some earplugs."

"You get some noseplugs!"

"Go to sleep Ennis."

"Night Jack."

(59 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2585 on: November 27, 2007, 02:29:04 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Date unknown

"When did you start snorin', Jack?"

"I don't snore."

"Yeah ya do."

"No I don't."

"Yer sleepin', Jack, ya can't hear yourself."

"I ain't wakin' myself up, why am I wakin' you up, then?"

"'Cause yer makin' a racket."

"Get some earplugs."

"You get some noseplugs!"

"Go to sleep Ennis."

"Night Jack."

(59 words)

LOL!! I need that, L - my first good laugh in a couple of days.  Thanks!

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2586 on: November 27, 2007, 02:31:08 pm »
Some quick Tuesday prompts!

• dark chocolate
  • direct/directly
  • re-schedule

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2587 on: November 27, 2007, 08:48:42 pm »
Dark Chocolate

He'd grabbed it on impulse when he'd stopped for gas, but he suddenly felt foolish as he reached the trailhead and spotted Jack's shiny, new truck.  Damn fool. Can buy himself a store full a his favorite chocolate bars.

Releasing each other from a fierce hug, Jack looked at Ennis's hand curiously.  "Whatcha got?"

"Mmm…..nothin….just….dumb..."

Understanding spread across Jack's face and he looked directly into Ennis's eyes, his heart bursting as he saw so clearly what was held within them, and he returned the gift with his own eyes.  When he finally spoke, his voice was soft and clear. "Thanks, bud."

~~~~~~~
100 Words
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:34:50 pm by mariez »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2588 on: November 28, 2007, 02:37:35 pm »
Happy Wednesday!

• morning person
  • incorrigible
  • oatmeal cookies

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2589 on: November 30, 2007, 03:37:18 pm »
Breakfast with Daddy

He'd fallen asleep on the couch again, waking up just before dawn when Junior curled up next to him.  "Hey, what're you doin up?"

She shrugged.  "Just woke up and couldn't fall back asleep. She looked at him curiously.  "Why are you sleeping out here?" 

"Mmm…uh, I guess I woke up early, too – are you hungry?  Let's get you some breakfast."  He rose quickly and headed for the kitchen, grabbing the cookie jar and placing it on the table. 

Junior's eyes widened, and she looked over her shoulder, lowering her voice to a whisper. "Cookies for breakfast?" 

Ennis's heart tightened as he recognized her hesitancy, that reluctance to break even the tiniest rule. Please don't be like me.

"Why not?  They're oatmeal, right?"  He smiled and winked as he went to the refrigerator for milk.  "It'll be our special breakfast, darlin." 

~~~~~~~
140 Words