Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183900 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2710 on: March 05, 2008, 02:54:04 pm »
And some mid-week prompts:

• shave
  • haircut
  • scissors

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2711 on: March 06, 2008, 02:52:15 pm »
Rebel With a Cause

Truth was, he wanted Bobby to get a haircut. Looking at the hair hanging in his eyes and down past his collar just didn't sit right with him.  But now that Lureen was bringing up the fact that L.D. disapproved, well…..it brought back a memory of his own father from a long-ago summer day….

….they'd been picking up supplies in town and some non-locals pulled up to the general store wearing leather jackets, their hair greased back and parted oddly on the back of their heads.  Jack had been intrigued and couldn't help staring, but what he remembered most was the sneer on his father's face as he followed the strangers with hate-filled eyes….

Jack placed his hand on Bobby's head.  "I kinda like your hair the way it is, bud," he said, smiling when he saw the surprise in Bobby's eyes, smiling even wider when he added, "Maybe I'll let mine grow, too, whaddya think?" and laughing when Bobby rolled his eyes and groaned.

"Daaaad!"

Lureen looked from one to the other and raised her hands in surrender as she turned back to her paperwork.  "Alright, I give up, looks like you boys get your way."

Jack set his jaw and nodded imperceptibly.  Might be a damn sight too late for him, but not for his son.

~~~~~~~
218 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2712 on: March 06, 2008, 03:07:45 pm »
Rebel with a Cause and Mr. Fix it

Marie, I really like the way you describe Ennis and Jack as dads. Both of them didn't have good memories of their own fathers, so they had to 'invent' for themselves what being a dad means. I guess the difference is that both Jack and Ennis knew what love was, even though 'they had to stand it'.  :-\

Lovely drabbles, thanks!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2713 on: March 07, 2008, 01:35:50 pm »
Both of them didn't have good memories of their own fathers, so they had to 'invent' for themselves what being a dad means. I guess the difference is that both Jack and Ennis knew what love was, even though 'they had to stand it':-\

Yep.  That's what I like to believe, anyway.  Thanks, Fabienne.   :)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2714 on: March 07, 2008, 01:37:35 pm »
If anyone wants to try a Friday drabble:   :)

• official
  • adjust
  • vinegar

Marie

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #2715 on: March 09, 2008, 04:43:07 pm »
Hey everyone. I'm new here and heck, might as well try a drabble on for size. It might a little over 100 words.  :) This one's for vinegar.

----------

It'd been 8 years since Jack had asked the silent question, deep blue eyes downcast towards the fire in an unspoken plea. "It could be like this, always like this."

Ennis threw a log into the crackling fire and watched the sparks dance up into the star-strewn velvet sky above them. Things had changed after the divorce, after the postcard he sent, after Jack had driven fourteen hours on account of said postcard. He'd moved out of Riverton, into a rundown shack like the one he and Alma had moved into after their marriage. Except things were different. He didn't wake up everyday to the sound of babies crying or the soft arms wound around him.

Now there were only strong arms wound around him when he woke up and the rodeo-worn legs swung over his waist.

He remembered that night like it was yesterday; calling a let-down Jack back from his truck and asking him to stay a while longer, let him drop his girls back home to their momma. And the expression on Jack's face when he walked into the house and took off his hat, like the second night in the tent, and sat beside him. This time he looked him in the eye.

"Guess we can take a shot at this sweet life, rodeo."

Jack didn't say anything for what felt like forever. Ennis swallowed, hoping it wasn't too late, that there wasn't anyone else, that...his train of through was cut off by the weight of grown man atop him, smiling down at him like the devil himself, then devouring his lips like there was no tomorrow.

But there would be a tomorrow and plenty more after.

"We should celebrate, Ennis! Ya got white wine?"

Ennis knew Lureen was the cause behind Jack's finer tastes but they didn't mention Lureen or Alma or the tire irons or the rest of the world that night.

"In the cupboard, very top. Try some. Lemme know if it's any good."

"Goddamn, this ain't wine - it's vinegar, you sunavabitch!"

"Ennis? Ennis?"

Ennis coughed, looking up from his whiskey and the fire and his thoughts. Jack looked worried but there it was, that small upturned curve to his lips and the glow of those blue eyes that looked at Ennis like he was made of gold.

"Yeah, whut?"

"Ye had me scared for a bit, bud," Jack joined him by the fire, smile growing wider as Ennis' arms wrapped around his waist and pulled me close. "Watcha thinkin'?"

"Just 'bout the past. And all that time we wasted."

"Hush. What's done is done. What's important is us, right here, right now."

"Aren't ya the romantic?"

"Damn straight."

Ennis sighed heavily, shaking his head.

"What now?" Jack frowned but the twinkle in his said otherwise.

"We're missin' somethin'."

"And what's that?"

"White wine."

"Fuck you."

"Love you too, bud."

----------

Okay, so way over 100 words but c'est la vie.  ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2716 on: March 09, 2008, 06:49:41 pm »
Nice to meet you, elomelo!  Welcome to Bettermost and to the Drabblefest  :)

For the purposes of this thread, we consider a "drabble" anything up to around 300 words - so no worries!

"In the cupboard, very top. Try some. Lemme know if it's any good."

"Goddamn, this ain't wine - it's vinegar, you sunavabitch!"

LOL!  I really enjoyed your drabble - very touching and very funny, too!  Hope to see you around the boards and I hope you gift us with more drabbles, too!

Thanks,
Marie

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #2717 on: March 09, 2008, 09:01:55 pm »
Nice to meet you too, Marie.  :) Nice drabble ideas by the way - random but definitely good for rousting original ideas.

And thanks for the warm welcome.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2718 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:39 pm »
Elomelo,

Great to have you here! Cheers to you for jumping right in - what an excellent start. Hope you will be creating some more drabbles!  :D

Again, welcome!

Chris
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2719 on: March 11, 2008, 12:54:09 pm »
Some Tuesday drabble prompts  :)

• blind
  • perceptive
  • cautious

Marie