Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1203957 times)

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2720 on: March 11, 2008, 01:42:25 pm »
Thanks Chris for the equally warm welcome - ha, I feel suddenly at home.  :)

And Marie, you are genius with these prompts! For blind...

----------

He knew what his Daddy would say if he knew what had been happening those nights and days with only Brokeback watching over them, its shadows hiding them from the rest of the world. If only for a month or so, with summer coming-and-going, that's all he needed - to be invisible. But Jack saw him, those blue eyes boring into his, unravelling the intricate web of thought that was Ennis, smiling the gentle reassurance. "It's alright. It's alright." Except Ennis wasn't so sure it was, if it'd ever be. So he closes his eyes when he kisses Alma, replacing the red hair with black and the petite frame with muscle. Because then, if only for that moment, it's alright.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2721 on: March 12, 2008, 12:47:54 pm »
He knew what his Daddy would say if he knew what had been happening those nights and days with only Brokeback watching over them, its shadows hiding them from the rest of the world. If only for a month or so, with summer coming-and-going, that's all he needed - to be invisible. But Jack saw him, those blue eyes boring into his, unravelling the intricate web of thought that was Ennis, smiling the gentle reassurance. "It's alright. It's alright." Except Ennis wasn't so sure it was, if it'd ever be. So he closes his eyes when he kisses Alma, replacing the red hair with black and the petite frame with muscle. Because then, if only for that moment, it's alright. 

What a beautiful and insightful drabble, elomelo - "...the intricate web of thought that was Ennis.."  So true!

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2722 on: March 12, 2008, 12:49:21 pm »
I'll throw some Wednesday prompts out  :)

• queasy
  • resign/resigned
  • protest

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2723 on: March 12, 2008, 05:53:44 pm »
Hi Elomelo,

Welcome! I am one of the fanfic moderators. Sorry for being a little slow on the welcoming job...I have had a hectic few days at work and I was away for the weekend.

Good to have you here and thanks for jumping in on the drabblefest. This is a fun thread and there is some terrific writing here.

Enjoy!

Leslie
MaineWriter
Moderator, Fanfic and Creative Writers
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #2724 on: March 13, 2008, 11:51:45 am »
Hi Elomelo,

Welcome! I am one of the fanfic moderators. Sorry for being a little slow on the welcoming job...I have had a hectic few days at work and I was away for the weekend.

Good to have you here and thanks for jumping in on the drabblefest. This is a fun thread and there is some terrific writing here.

Enjoy!

Leslie
MaineWriter
Moderator, Fanfic and Creative Writers

Hey there, MaineWriter.

Thanks for the welcome! And yes, this is a fun thread - as writing always is. I think you're the author of Love Born from Steele...? It was beautiful by the way - very realistic and well written. (:

Hope to see you around.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2725 on: March 13, 2008, 12:00:23 pm »
Hey there, MaineWriter.

Thanks for the welcome! And yes, this is a fun thread - as writing always is. I think you're the author of Love Born from Steele...? It was beautiful by the way - very realistic and well written. (:

Hope to see you around.

Yes, I am the author. Thanks for the compliment!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #2726 on: March 13, 2008, 12:24:27 pm »
Yes, I am the author. Thanks for the compliment!

L

You're very welcome. (:

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2727 on: March 13, 2008, 12:54:01 pm »
Quiet

She was accustomed to quiet men.  Most of the males she knew never talked much, that's just the way it was.  Women did the talking and men nodded or shook their heads or answered with a few short words. She guessed it was one of those mysterious facts of life that she'd understand one day when she grew up. 

But she sensed somehow that her Daddy's quiet wasn't the same kind of quiet she saw in other men. She couldn't have put it into words, but she recognized the world of difference between a quiet contentment and a quiet resignation. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #2728 on: March 13, 2008, 12:56:15 pm »
Wednesday drabble but anywhooo...:)

Protest

Bitchin'. He might have been a rodeo fuck up and a crazy dreamer but that was something Jack Twist did with ease. Everything from the grass to the sheep to the tent to the fire to the damn hole in his boots. Ennis sighed, watching the boy spew out words like a busted pipe, only stopping to breathe and take sips of whiskey. But he nodded somberly, responding in that minimal way he always did, taking in the other's words that made up for the lack of his own.

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #2729 on: March 13, 2008, 12:56:55 pm »
Quiet

She was accustomed to quiet men.  Most of the males she knew never talked much, that's just the way it was.  Women did the talking and men nodded or shook their heads or answered with a few short words. She guessed it was one of those mysterious facts of life that she'd understand one day when she grew up. 

But she sensed somehow that her Daddy's quiet wasn't the same kind of quiet she saw in other men. She couldn't have put it into words, but she recognized the world of difference between a quiet contentment and a quiet resignation. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

:( Poor Jack! Beautiful.